GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up 36% over last year.
CTS and SRX break previous sales records.
CTS continues to impress with 5,579 sales which is 25% more than last year.
3,253 SRXs delivered which is 46% more than in April.

Hard to believe that Cadillac projected CTS sales would be 25-30,000 a year, and it has already sold 25,000 in the first 5 MONTHS!

When the STS comes out Cadillac will probably go over the 250,000 a year mark.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't think they really need any more models other than perhaps a coupe (Eldorado). They have small (CTS) , medium (STS) and large (Deville).
They have a roadster (XLR), a small SUV (SRX) and a Large one (Escalade).

Aside from a coupe, and/or a 4 person convertible, they don't need any new models.

They have to keep some exclusivity.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 2 2004, 01:47 PM
I don't think they really need any more models other than perhaps a coupe (Eldorado).  They have small (CTS) , medium (STS) and large (Deville).

Aside from a coupe, and/or a 4 person convertible, they don't need any new models.

I think an Ultra Luxury car would be good too..

·
Registered
44,247 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 2 2004, 02:47 PM
I don't think they really need any more models other than perhaps a coupe (Eldorado). They have small (CTS) , medium (STS) and large (Deville).

I agree with the Coupe (CTC or STC)... Definitely a 2+2 convertible (CTC or STC convertibler)...

So.. a 7-series competitor and a Rolls competitor are left.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I want names to come back. Eldorado sounds way cooler than "CTC" or "STC". I hate how the Germans can't name their cars, and now it's rubbing off on ours. Pontiac is losing names as well.

Oh well. Good for caddy though. It's great to see their efforts pay off.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I agree with the idea of more models for Cadillac as long as they are exclusive. In other words don't go down market rather have more niche players in the upper end of the market. As long as GM can make a buck it makes sense.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I read that Cadillac was on track to do more than 200,000 units this year, which would put them around the top of the heap in luxury car sales in the United States.

1st the US then the world...... :D

If I were in charge at Cadillac I would like to see...

A coupe and convertible version of the CTS.

A lower priced roadster based off the CTS platfrom, similar to the SLK and SL for Mercedes, maybe a CTR as a companion to the XLR.

A larger STS sized coupe to replace the Eldorado.

An ultra-luxury sedan.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
If I were in charge of Cadillac: I'd . . . .

I'M GONNA GET A LOT OF FLAMES FOR SAYING THIS

. . . I'd be thinking hard about how to get rid of the trucks.

Seriously: they are transparent badge engineering of the worst sort, they are killing the quality scores, they are mechanically unsophisticated (totally out of keeping with the new Cadillac), they look slapped together and on and on and on.

I'm not saying get out of the entire big SUV business, but Cadillac's got to stop basing them so closely on otherwise cheap, ordinary trucks. Yeah, so they're making a billion dollars a year (50,000 'Slades @ $20,000 margins - no joke) they're still dragging down the entire effort.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 2 2004, 10:39 PM
I want names to come back. Eldorado sounds way cooler than "CTC" or "STC". I hate how the Germans can't name their cars, and now it's rubbing off on ours. Pontiac is losing names as well.

Ah, but do recall that before the 1951 Coupe de Ville, Cadillacs were all known by numbers: Series 51, 61 and 62. Series 62 survived up to 1965, replaced by Calais. The Sixty Special and Series 75 lived into the 70's until all they made were Fleetwood Broughams.

I wish Cadillac had revived their historic numbers. They had a nice hierarchical quality to them. So far, the only one of the letter combinations has any meaning associated with it is STS. The rest of them are just plain hard to remember.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the $75K+ model we keep hearing about will pick up the historic Sixty Special name. Or Fleetwood 75.

Of course, consistency being . . . well . . . consistent, they're likely to saddle us with an FTS or an HTS or a JTS. Who knows? And we'll all refer to it as the "big Caddy" because we won't be able to remember its stupid made-up letter name.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If they make a 2 door CTS they need to call it a CTS Coupe not 'CTC', same with a convertible. Who ever said the letters have to stand for anything?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Jun 4 2004, 02:59 AM
Yeah, so they're making a billion dollars a year (50,000 'Slades @ $20,000 margins - no joke) they're still dragging down the entire effort.
i think most car companies would give up their mission for a billion dollars profit (assuming your figures are correct). sure, i like caddy to have a little soul, but it's a business, and i would forgive it for holding on to such cash cows. especially since i don't agree that they bring cadillac down anywhere.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think the trucks necessarily bring down the image of Cadillac, although the cheap carpet and dashboards in these things are pretty bad.

I would say the thing that brings down the image is seeing $9,000 DISCOUNT!! painted on the front windshield at the dealership.

That doesn't inspire much confidence.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also they are way past being on track to do 200,000 sales this year.
They did 216,000 last year and might very well do 230-240,000 this year.
They were No. 1 in sales for cars over $40K last year.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 4 2004, 12:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 4 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AMcA@Jun 4 2004, 02:59 AM
Yeah, so they're making a billion dollars a year (50,000 'Slades @ $20,000 margins - no joke) they're still dragging down the entire effort.
i think most car companies would give up their mission for a billion dollars profit (assuming your figures are correct). sure, i like caddy to have a little soul, but it's a business, and i would forgive it for holding on to such cash cows. especially since i don't agree that they bring cadillac down anywhere. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I won't begrudge them the billion a year, so long as they keep investing in new non-truck products. Fair enough.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 4 2004, 12:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 4 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AMcA@Jun 4 2004, 02:59 AM
i think most car companies would give up their mission for a billion dollars profit (assuming your figures are correct). sure, i like caddy to have a little soul, but it's a business, and i would forgive it for holding on to such cash cows. especially since i don't agree that they bring cadillac down anywhere. [/b][/quote]
I did a little more digging on my billion dollar figure: I was low, I think.

First, 2003 sales of trucks at Cadillac were 64,000. I think the SRX is considered a truck, but darned few were actually deliviered in '03. Call it 60,000 'Slades.

Then consider that a base 4x4 Tahoe costs $38,000 and is already obscenely profitable, and a nearly identical 4x4 Escalade starts at $56,000 -- $18,000 more -- and a $20,000 a unit profit looks pretty conservative. Especially when you consider the fact that the Escalade's poorest V8 4x4 relation, the Silverado 1500, starts at $28,000 - half the price of its Cadillac cousin.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Inspite of whatever opinion you might have of the Cadillac Escalade, it is the top of the class of luxury sport utility vehicles, not the Range Rover, not the Navigator, not the M class or the X5, there is no other vehicle in its arena, that is more admired, respected or wanted.

The Escalade has been progressing, from the orginal 1998 version on the on the old platfrom, to the revolutionary and extremeley popular 2000 version, so I would expect the next-generation Escalade to be an even greater leap foward than the current model, with an available V12 engine and countless improvements in NVH.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts