GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canyon is in for review - here's the rundown.
www.GMInsideNews.com
October 29, 2014
By: Nick Saporito

GM dropped off a 2015 Canyon for review this week. It is brand new and a mostly loaded SLT Crew Cab model. Our initial impressions?

• Extremely maneuverable for a pickup - very tight turning radius
  • Steering feel is better than the half-tons (more road feedback, stronger on-center)
  • Seats are extremely comfortable
  • This truck gets a ton of attention - it's literally caused traffic jams outside me office (dead serious)
  • It is sticker priced just above $36,000

Let me know if there is anything specific you guys want to know about the truck and stay tuned for a full review!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
-Ride quality
-sound system,
-how does the engine feel?
- What would you change?
-capabilities if possible
-Fuel economy
Everything else is gravy.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were your money, what would you buy?

Canyon or Sierra?
Well, last week I had a $54K 2015 Silverado LTZ.

I'd buy this Canyon over the Silverado any day of the week. It's just far more livable than the mega half-tons we have on the market today, but at the same time is has the obedience/solid feel of the half-tons.

I drove it to school and back yesterday (highway, 70 MPH) and got 23.5 MPG with it. I got 18.8 MPG on the same loop with the Silverado.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

Would you say this Silverado was roughly equivalent in equipment to the Canyon you have?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Nick, I test drove an All-Terrain and loved it. What I didn't like was the flat headrest. I'm 6'1"-ish and the bottom of the headrest in the lowest position was on my shoulder area and it hurt. The bottom of the headrest in the highest position was about the lower part of my neck and it hurt.

Did you experience any discomfort at all with the headrest? Depending on your height of course.

Is there any explanation why the headrest is flat? Would you be able to get some comments from GM?

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

I'd buy this Canyon over the Silverado any day of the week. It's just far more livable than the mega half-tons we have on the market today, but at the same time is has the obedience/solid feel of the half-tons.

I drove it to school and back yesterday (highway, 70 MPH) and got 23.5 MPG with it. I got 18.8 MPG on the same loop with the Silverado.
I see. Your Canyon has the 3.6L, right?

I like the midsize twins, I just fear that no one is going to buy them.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,626 Posts
I really love this truck, and dead set on getting one - Hopefully by early next spring. :)

My only current disappointment is the lack of a CD player (standard or optional). I understand the marketing of the truck as premium, along with the decline of CD sales, but would prefer an burred audio or mp3 disc over trying to filter thru 100s of files while driving.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad to hear about the steering, that was the only real complaint I had with the previous generation, the turning radius was worse than my Silverado!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Perceived performance/driveability of the powertrain (granted, I doubt you'll be truly putting the vehicle through its paces with towing or hauling) -- how it might compare to an equivalent 3.7 Atlas-powered previous gen Canyorado?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would you say this Silverado was roughly equivalent in equipment to the Canyon you have?
As equivalent as they can get, I believe.

Nick, I test drove an All-Terrain and loved it. What I didn't like was the flat headrest. I'm 6'1"-ish and the bottom of the headrest in the lowest position was on my shoulder area and it hurt. The bottom of the headrest in the highest position was about the lower part of my neck and it hurt.

Did you experience any discomfort at all with the headrest? Depending on your height of course.

Is there any explanation why the headrest is flat? Would you be able to get some comments from GM?
Call me crazy, but I think the midsize trucks are using the Camaro's headrest. If not, it is nearly identical in design.

I see. Your Canyon has the 3.6L, right?

I like the midsize twins, I just fear that no one is going to buy them.
Yeah, it is the 3.6L.

How are the sight lines? Any big blind spots? Are the A pillars shaped well or do they obstruct visibility?

How easy is the front air dam removed/replaced?
Visibility is much better than the half-tons. I am 5'11".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive driven the 2015 Colorado tons of times and its a sweet little truck. Almost the same length as a full size truck but its much narrower. Driving the Colorado, I cant help but be more attracted to the Canyon. It has creature comforts that arent even available on the Chevy like the foe leather dash and leather stiched center council lid. It also has a different gauge cluster than is more visually appealing than the Chevy. The one ive been driving is a CTF vehicle and it has a countless amount of issues. So im not judging the truck just yet untill I hop in a full production version. The engine is the biggest complaint for me in the truck. Not that its not ballsy, it has enough get up and go. But the LFX sounds far better in any of its other applications than it does here. Take it over 4000 RPM and there are nothing but NVH issues, not a smooth motor at all. I doubt they fixed this seeing as a CTF vehicle is basically a 98% production ready vehicle. And why no sunroof option? Other than that, I love the truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I saw and sat in one of these at the car show in Sacramento last week. It is a very nice truck. I can't wait to drive one. It seriously blew away the Toyota, Nissan, and even the Chevy in the looks department. Interior is a lot nicer than either of the foreign rigs. I have a feeling this will be my next truck.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts

How times have changed! My Deville averages 17.2!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts