GM Inside News Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
espo19047 said:
This is your chance to try to bring people down....I wonder what it is your overcompensating for? Your opinions may be based on facts, the ones you don't forget to leave out that is...Your "facts" and opinions are one big blur..
What part of "I'm not trying to bring anyone down" aren't you comprehending? What is it going to take to get rid of your paranoia?

Look, why not just bury the hatchet? I'll agree that imports aren't all most people make them out to be if you'll agree at the same time GM could still do with improvement in some areas and leave it at that?

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Those Cali's are sinking The Domestic Auto Makers. You can't blame them, they are being classy and elegant an Astro or a Trail Blazer just wont sell.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Infiniti Z350 said:
What part of "I'm not trying to bring anyone down" aren't you comprehending? What is it going to take to get rid of your paranoia?

Look, why not just bury the hatchet? I'll agree that imports aren't all most people make them out to be if you'll agree at the same time GM could still do with improvement in some areas and leave it at that?
Agreed! A fun debate! Goodnite my friend...

·
Registered
169 Posts
nsap said:
Have you looked at a G6 in person? The exterior design looks really nice in person. Its curvy, and very aggressive looking. I own one.

FINALLY, we agree on something. GM will show their FULL poteintial in about 2-3 yrs. Trust me, I have seen the plans.;)

Alright, alright, I'll take your word for it. I am, after all, waiting for my Velite... :)
Night, people...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ok, suppose you are a car buyer from Milpitas. Suppose too that you are patriotic and would like your money to stay close to home. You can buy a Corolla, built in neighboring Fremont; a Focus, built in Mexico; a Cobalt, built in Ohio; or a Neon, which just plain sucks. Could you really blame them for buying the Corolla?

The company with the most investment in California, in manufactuing, design, engineering, and sales is Toyota. If GM wants to sell in California, they should invest in California, move production there, or design. And they need to sell in California if they want to grow again.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well, let me start with this. When ever you would try to buy parts at this place, they would rob you. I never bought a car there, but in the area, there are many other dealers that will give me great deals on new cars and trucks and they wont. The people that worked there never seemed to be happy and when was the last time you want to spend 30k and be treated like a pile of dog stuff? Plus the land in that area is worth tons of bucks, so closing may be a way to earn bucks. I dont know, but how many people have 15 dealers within a 30 mile drive?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
This sounds like what might happen to my local dealer. All the parts are expensive, and they are idiots to deal with. Ex a friend of mine wanted to trade his 98 buick in for a crew cab silverado. The car was still in pretty good condition and only had 80k miles. They said they would give him $2500 for trade. He went to the dodge dealer and they traded a 03 durango for $5500. Another EX, a local construction company went to the dealer to buy 3 2500HD silverados fully loaded. but they wanted them to have Michelin tires. The Dealership said no! they couldnt do that. THe company went to the next towns GM dealership and got the trucks they wanted. What the hells wrong with them? my local dealership said no to what> something like $120,000 in sales !

·
Registered
287 Posts
uujjj said:
The company with the most investment in California, in manufactuing, design, engineering, and sales is Toyota. If GM wants to sell in California, they should invest in California, move production there, or design. And they need to sell in California if they want to grow again.

Investment huh, If you are talking about the NUMMI plant in Fremont well that is a GM plant and still has GM workers, with Toyota Management and a stake of ownership.
Before Toyota could get their Kentucky plant built the made a deal with GM for Fremont so that they could see if American workers could work "their" system. Before they made a larger investment in America. So maybe aside from some design studios and the staging are at the ports which they bring there cars in from Japan I wouldn't say they have invested more then GM has.

Plus GM had the Van Nuys plant plus Fremont so that was 2 plants at one time. But then some of you good Patriotic Americans had to go loving up Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's and now Cali is left with none :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
mgescuro said:
The Milpitas area and that entire area in the Silicon Valley is predominantly Asian.. and they do NOT and will NEVER buy and American made car. They are considered crap, low quality, and never hold their value.

I am not surprised by this in the least. Drive through Milpitas and Mountain View... all you'll see are Japanese cars or German cars. Period.
I am new on this site, but I do own a GM car. People as much as I root for the big G, they build crappy cars. The quality is improving a bit, but for 25 + years they have build mostly junk. The vettes, trucks and some other 3800 powered cars are decent, however the small and midsized cars are junk. The saddest thing is the 55-57 Chevy's that were so great, also had pretty darn good quality. Shutting the door on a solid original five is better than most any of the cars from the last 25+ years. I will always buy American, but it sucks that my devotion to American products has me spending good money on Junk.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
SaabKing said:
Actually I own GM stock because it has a higher dividen, you would think Toyota with ALL of its money would give more back to their investors
I feel badly for you. As much as I like GM, I don't ever see myself buying this stock. It's going nowhere fast, including its dividend. You'd be better served looking outside of the auto industry.

While dividend-yielding stocks have traditionally gained more over the past few decades, assuming you reinvest the dividends, I'm not convinced that a 2-4% dividend (after taxes) is going to come close to a reasonable return.

I've tried to justify buying GM stock many times, but it boils down to an emotional decision. And, in my mind, emotion has no place in investing. Sorry, GM. But I'll pass.

·
Registered
876 Posts
uujjj said:
Ok, suppose you are a car buyer from Milpitas. Suppose too that you are patriotic and would like your money to stay close to home. You can buy a Corolla, built in neighboring Fremont; a Focus, built in Mexico; a Cobalt, built in Ohio; or a Neon, which just plain sucks. Could you really blame them for buying the Corolla?

They could buy the Pontiac Vibe, which is also built at NUMMI. Unfortunately, California's real estate prices, cost of living, health care costs, insurance costs, opressive enviromental laws, and it's general anti-business stance make it unfit for most manufacturing operations. According to Toyota, the NUMMI plant costs it more than any other plant, even though it's a joint venture.

It's a shame, considering that California has a great history of auto manufacturing. Besides Fremont, the big three had plants in Milpitias (now "The Great Mall" shopping center), Van Nuys, Commerce, South Gate and Pico Rivera (there may have been more - that's all I can remember). Of that list, only Fremont stands.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ming said:
According to Billings, the poor economic climate along with the decline in demand for American-built automobiles led to the dealership's demise.
With no jobs, they cant afford to buy any car, let alone an American made one!
But wait! That worker in Korea, (or China or India etc.) just bought a new Korean made TV, and Korean made refrigerator, and Korean made microwave, and soon, a Korean made car.

Brain surgeons like Roger Smith (not union workers) started digging GM's grave many years ago.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
V-Car said:
With no jobs, they cant afford to buy any car, let alone an American made one!
But wait! That worker in Korea, (or China or India etc.) just bought a new Korean made TV, and Korean made refrigerator, and Korean made microwave, and soon, a Korean made car.

Brain surgeons like Roger Smith (not union workers) started digging GM's grave many years ago.
One wonders if that's the Chinese (or Korean, etc) plan; right now, they're happy having a big trade surplus and buying US Treasury securities with the extra US dollars they have. But maybe later, once their domestic markets will be big enough, they'll sell their US assets and crush the US economically...

·
Registered
216 Posts
it amazes me reading all this and how far it has gotten away from the main subject . you guys talk of resale value and the truth is if you buy a car of any make , import or domestic , your throwing away your money ! car resale sucks bigtime ! trucks and suv's are the only smart auto investment like it or not (high end luxery cars and sports cars dont count and make up very little of overall sales compared to high pruduction models ) and american trucks and fullsize suv's resale is superior to imports , sales back up what im saying 100% . ford and chevy sales more trucks than all others put together and tahoe/yukon and expedition kill import full size sales , ford explorer and trailblazer are lightyears ahead of the imports in sales and design , so tell me , are the domestics stupid or have they monoplized the high profit market and now are using what they've learned and are applying it to the car segment . car sales are not based on a simple 100% market , import sales can go up while domestic sales can also rise , the population is always growing . simply put you can sale more cars than last year and still lose market share !

·
Registered
28 Posts
ponchoman49 said:
I would rather drive any one of these 3 than a boring over priced Camry or an Accord that is just so perfect despite several recalls and problems in general over at Honda. Or this silly new Ridgeline that looks like puke or any Scion box. This is sad to see that so many so called americans want to drive foreign made vehicles, especially when the american ones have gotten so good in quality and reliability.

They are all jerks sending there jobs away. I won't be buying another Dodge 3500 as they are all made in Mexico now.

Who would collect a *** car?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
GS96C599 said:
Who would collect a *** car?
Depending on the car, plenty of people. I'd love to have a Toyota 2000GT, or a Datsun 240Z, to use two examples. Also, there's a few really niche cars made in low numbers which would be really cool to have, like the Nissan Figaro. Yes, the collector car I want more than any other is American (Cord 810/12), but hey, there have been desirable cars from America, Europe and Asia, and I'm proud to say I could go for something from every major car manufacturing country.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
citric acid said:
Depending on the car, plenty of people. I'd love to have a Toyota 2000GT, or a Datsun 240Z, to use two examples.
Don't forget the Datsun 1600/2000. They were the Miata's of the late 60s!

·
Registered
49 Posts
dindak said:
Californians don't care about jobs in Detriot or America. They embraced Japanese cars from the get go and never looked back. It's a big market, GM really needs to market their new top notch cars like the Cobalt there hard.

Dear Neighbor to the North:

My Chevrolet Silverado 1500 pickup was manufactured in Canada. GM likes to do that since there is no health care legacy cost north of the border, therefore more profits especially on the currency float.

So what's the difference if a Californian purchases a Canadian-made Chevy or any other import? I don't personally care for the Nissan Titan pickup, but their dealers are mentioning that the vehicle is made in USA at the new Mississippi plant.

NAFTA notwithstanding, let the best brands win.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts