GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ming said:
Billings opened in Milpitas in 1993 to great fanfare. Located on Barber Lane, Billings Chevrolet was supposed to be the first of many dealerships in what was planned as an auto mall along the Interstate 880 frontage. But no other dealerships ever settled in west Milpitas, and Billings Chevrolet ended up the lone automobile facility among a sea of large ethnic shopping centers.
I'm sorry this sounds to me like it was just a bad location for any car dealership. They jumped the gun on something that sounded like a good idea...and wanted to be the first dealer in the area when others came...but no one else came. I mean if I build a Amusement Park in the middle of nowhere, and no one comes it's not because people don't like roller coasters!

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Cassie said:
I'm sorry this sounds to me like it was just a bad location for any car dealership. They jumped the gun on something that sounded like a good idea...and wanted to be the first dealer in the area when others came...but no one else came. I mean if I build a Amusement Park in the middle of nowhere, and no one comes it's not because people don't like roller coasters!
Based on the article, that sounds like the main problem for the dealership.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Probably like 95%+ goes back to Japan/France, the only thing that 5% or so goes to here is operational overhead and marketing. Plus in Nissans case that money is going to France. In the GTOs case it might be made in another country but the majority of the money comes back here.

Infiniti Z350 said:
When I buy a foriegn product, (and BTW, 100% of it does not go back to the homeland) yes, they make a profit but so what (not to sound cold). Every business needs to make a profit.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
nsap said:
This is sad. Look import buyers, you are putting AMERICANS out of business because of your ignorance towards AMERICAN-built vehicles.
Americans work at Toyota dealerships too (looking at the dealership jobs only since this affects other jobs as well).

I bet a lot of people on this board who talk about American jobs buy foreign products in other areas of their lives when they have a choice. How many people here bought a PS2 rather than an XBox (is that assembled in the US?), for example? Sure, it is a smaller investment, but all of this makes a difference. There were a lot of American companies that fell behind beginning in the 60s until today and much of it was their own fault, including the domestic automakers. I am not surprised that many have abandoned the domestics after what happened for 20 years. I think the new domestics will slow or stop the trend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
TiburonJT said:
Americans work at Toyota dealerships too.

I bet a lot of people on this board who talk about American jobs buy foreign products in other areas of their lives when they have a choice. How many people here bought a PS2 rather than an XBox (is that assembled in the US?), for example? Sure, it is a smaller investment, but all of this makes a difference. There were a lot of American companies that fell behind beginning in the 60s until today and much of it was their own fault, including the domestic automakers. I am not surprised that many have abandoned the domestics after what happened for 20 years. I think the new domestics will slow or stop the trend.

I bought a XBOX not because it was made in America but because the graphics are better and the XBOX LIVE runs better than Sony's network play.
I agree the new domestics will stop the trend, people will come around its just a matter of time. The imports are just so uninspiring, they have ok interiors but the exterior is plain Yaaahn boring.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Folks, Honda, Nissan, Toyota build cars in America (employing Americans). Honda, Nissan, Toyota have thousands (at least, I would imagine) of dealerships in America, employing Americans. I'm pretty sure Toyota has a design group in California, and surely the other guys do, as well. In today's global economy, the motto "buy American" does not hold anymore.

I read sometime ago (so I don't really remember the numbers) that many of the Japanese companies set-up manufacturing operations in the US to avoid paying the extra duties which were tacked on to cars coming from Asia. Part of the deal was that US content of the vehicle needed to reach a certain point. Buying "Japanese" models therefore does not necessarily take away jobs from Americans.

Does buying a Mexican built PT Cruiser constitute "buying American"?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
TiburonJT said:
How many people here bought a PS2 rather than an XBox (is that assembled in the US?), for example?
Nope. I believe most are assembled in China, with most parts also coming from Asia. Some may also be assembled in eastern Europe.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
GMCSonoma said:
Here we go! A bit has to go into what GM and a dealer owner will decide to yank a franchise. I know of several small stores here that had stipulation that it would stay open so long as the current owner wished, and then the franchise would then be eliminated. I've seen this twice in small little towns near where I am, very small GM dealers who did about 50 to 60 new units a year and had maybe a total of 3, 4 or 5 people in fixed operations, and maybe under 10 total employees. I've seen Chrysler do it to two local stores that were much larger. Besides, the imports, especially the leaders like Toyota and Honda never had any inclination to enter markets that couldn't support at least 300 new retail units sold annually. Years ago, VW was the only exception to this as far as imports were concerned, that changed after the original Beetle left the market here and more lines were added. That is the thing about GM & Ford, although fast fading, you may find one or both in a small remote town, unlike the others.
Very true, GM has been weeding out smaller dealerships for the last 8 years here in Camada.

First the Image 2000, By 2000 all dealership were to look the same, re. McDonalds restaraunts.

Then that any town under 20000 population is to only have 1 full line dealership.

Hard on the consumer with only 1choice as to where to shop. This has effected 2 dealerships in my area, 200+new per year dealers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Family Man said:
.....I'm pretty sure Toyota has a design group in California, and surely the other guys do, as well. In today's global economy, the motto "buy American" does not hold anymore.....
Well I guess then in Tomorrow's Global Economy, the motto will be "Please Asia, give us some of our money back..."
Why do you think there is such Trade Defecit between the US and other countries? Money just keeps leaving.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Cassie said:
I agree with this also, and with what GMCSonoma is saying about weeding out smaller dealerships. I think there's a trend toward larger and fewer retail outlets in almost all goods, and automobiles are no exception. In the late 70's and early 80's GM dealers were dropping like flies in the small towns around where I was from. By the mid 80's, the closest Chevy dealer to our farm was in a town of about 2500 people, with the owner acting as salesman/office worker, and one mechanic - two people for the whole dealership. Needless to say, the dealership was sold to another dealer after a few years, then closed altogether around 1990.

I don't think we need to read too much into this one incident. If 20% of Chevy dealers in California shut down in the next 10 years, I'll get worried.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Family Man said:
Folks, Honda, Nissan, Toyota build cars in America (employing Americans). Honda, Nissan, Toyota have thousands (at least, I would imagine) of dealerships in America, employing Americans. I'm pretty sure Toyota has a design group in California, and surely the other guys do, as well. In today's global economy, the motto "buy American" does not hold anymore.
Design studio, shmesign studio.

Where are the engines and transmissions engineered? Where is the bulk of the real R&D cash invested? It aint goin' to some artist with a fancy pen in a California Design studio.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Ming said:
G6 GT:
$23,300 (without incentives)
3.5L V6 200HP / 210 Torque
21/29 mpg

Base-level Acura TSX:
$26,990 (good luck on incentives)
2.4L I4 200HP / 166 Torque
22/31 mpg
Ming, don't forget the resale value after 3 years of ownership. The TSX is probably about 75% of original MSRP while you can trade the G6 for a 5-year old Civic even money.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Cassie said:
It's not too bad, actually. It's right along I-880, which is a major route traveled by a lot of people. Making up the eastern part of Silicon Valley, the Milpitas area was also booming with new housing, offices and shopping centers during the Dot Com days. Furthermore, it's not that odd at all around here to have a large dealership that's not surrounded by other dealerships - especially if you consider the high cost of land. They build them whereever they can fit them.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of demand that killed this dealership. It's more like a lot of competition. Within a 30 minutes of Billings, there are 8 Chevrolet dealerships that I know of: Sunnyvale Chevrolet (Sunnyvale), Andersen Chevrolet (Menlo Park), Andersen Chevrolet (Los Gatos), Courtesy Chevrolet (San Jose), Carl Chevrolet (San Jose), Gilroy Chevrolet (Gliroy), Central Chevrolet (Fremont), and Crown Chevrolet (Dublin). If you want to drive about 50 minutes or so, that list would probably double. I think that the market is pretty much oversaturated.

5,934 Posts
I think there's some over-reaction here. All this really sounds like is the dealership moved because there was gonna be an "auto mall" which didn't pan out. So here they are, this dealership that was probably successful where they were, then were encouraged to move to a new location. The "An Amercan Revolution" is gonna take time, Americans conversion to imports didn't happen overnight, it happened over about a generation. Americans are now looking at Detroit products differently. That's a start. They are starting to think, "hmm...". That's a start. Strong kick-$ss products will get 'em back. The reason now to buy a Toyota or Honda, is simply that, becasue it "is" a Toyota or Honda.

Strong heritage style with superior performance will get 'em back. I really hope the SS Concept sees the light of day. I would like to see that being the "next Chevelle".

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Infiniti Z350 said:
I wish people wouldn't try to put others on guilt trips just because they made a choice what to do with their own money as is their right. You think you won't be putting Americans out of buisness if a Nissan, Toyota, Volkswagen, or any other dealer shut down? American brands aren't the only one with American built vehicles either.
Mr Infiniti Z350,
Why do you even come to this website? If you are anti American fine. If you want to buy imports go ahead.. I'm just curious as to why you would come here and post 32 messages? With the non GM car as a signature to boot!

·
Registered
632 Posts
1BadPig said:
Ming, don't forget the resale value after 3 years of ownership. The TSX is probably about 75% of original MSRP while you can trade the G6 for a 5-year old Civic even money.

And you are basing this information on what??? I still would rather have the G6 over the TSX. I felt like I was trapped in a tin can in the TSX. The G6 is still too new on the market to gage it's resale value and you can't actually base it off the Grand Am.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
espo19047 said:
Mr Infiniti Z350,
Why do you even come to this website? If you are anti American fine. If you want to buy imports go ahead.. I'm just curious as to why you would come here and post 32 messages? With the non GM car as a signature to boot!
Uh, sorry? Where do you get I'm anti-American? Just because I prefer an import brand? That doesn't mean I hate GM or any American brands. I came here because I like to view (and offer) different viewpoints. If you go through my posts you'll note I have never once bashed any brand (including GM) and have provided evidence backing up what I say. I don't recall this website being restricted only to people who love American brands. If you don't like my posts fine, but don't accuse me of being anti-American.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
nsap said:
This is sad. Look import buyers, you are putting AMERICANS out of business because of your ignorance towards AMERICAN-built vehicles.

and here you show your ignorance by posting such nonsense. if you take a look into things a little, you will notice how many imports sold in North America are built here as well, BY AMERICANS. read the editorial in this month's Motor Trend and you will learn that there are 9 automakers located in California, employing somewhere around a quarter of a million people amongst themselves, and they're not all GM and Ford owned. the NUMMI plant, a joint venture between GM and Toyota is in Cali, as well as design centers of Nissan and Toyota. the auto industry is going the way all big business is, and that's toward a more global theme. don't think the only way to employ Americans in the auto industry is through manufacturing jobs in Detroit, because that's not only stupid and naive, but it's wrong. there are thousands of Americans that get their paychecks from foreign companies, and if you try to run those out of business, you're just as guilty of costing American jobs as you blame import buyers for being. you can blame GM for offering stale products, that led to the demise of this dealership (and maybe more in the future) not people buying Camrys and Accords. those people supported American assembly lines, designers, and sales staff, just like Chevy customers do.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Ballistic said:
How could this happen? The Impala, Astro, and Trailblazer are so hip, fresh, and new!
I would rather drive any one of these 3 than a boring over priced Camry or an Accord that is just so perfect despite several recalls and problems in general over at Honda. Or this silly new Ridgeline that looks like puke or any Scion box. This is sad to see that so many so called americans want to drive foreign made vehicles, especially when the american ones have gotten so good in quality and reliability.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
SUPERBADD75 said:
and here you show your ignorance by posting such nonsense. if you take a look into things a little, you will notice how many imports sold in North America are built here as well, BY AMERICANS.
Yours is a circular argument. People like you make excuses and buy more imports. Then the transplant companies like Toyota decide to build more factories in the US(but still keep most critical engineering at home). The more you buy the more they build here. It is that simple. Without people buying imports / transplant brand cars in the first place, there wouldn't be many import brand cars assembled in America.

The act of buying Toyota does indeed help the prospect of more FACTORIES and artistic design centers in the US, but the bulk of real nuts and bolts college-degree required technical engineering does NOT come here from our friends at Toyota.

So you can excuse some of your import brand buying tendencies with the "they build 'em here too!" argument, but not all.

A lot of the initial reason people bought imports, however WAS Detroit's fault, with their shoddy product of the 1980's for instance - but that excuse has largely disappeared. Now, buying Import brand cars is also part of an image thing that some people associate themselves with - whether it is due to politics, socio-economic status, or ethnicity....or just old-fashioned brand loyalty. Resale value will be the last bastion of excuses, and even that is driven by perception of the import buyers.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts