GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, if you own an Impala SS or Monte SS with the supercharged engine what are you getting for gas mileage?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I have a 2000 Bonneville SSEi with the same engine - and I get an average of about 21 mpg (premium).

28mpg on a long highway trip.

17-18mpg if driving mostly in the city.

But I do gun it from stoplights, so I suppose someone else could do better.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I know somebody that has a 2002 Grand Prix with that engine. They average 24-25 in combined city/highway driving.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! HELLO GM SUIT MARKETING DUMMIES! Evidently you got a few large sedans out there with supercharged engines with really nice power that get just as good gas mileage as some four cilinder turbo engines (the one in the Volvo S40 for one) and I bet the general public does not know this. I didn't , which is why I asked the question. If I had a 3.8 V-6 supercharged engine that got about 24/25 miles a gallon in a large sedan I would make that a big part of my marketing campaigne. HELLO GM SUIT MARKETING DUMMIES.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"HELLO GM SUIT MARKETING DUMMIES! Evidently you got a few large sedans out there with supercharged engines with really nice power that get just as good gas mileage as some four cilinder turbo engines (the one in the Volvo S40 for one) and I bet the general public does not know this. I didn't , which is why I asked the question. If I had a 3.8 V-6 supercharged engine that got about 24/25 miles a gallon in a large sedan I would make that a big part of my marketing campaigne. HELLO GM SUIT MARKETING DUMMIES."

Did you ask the question just so you could say that? The straight 6 in our Trailblazer (Trailblazer, yes the large, heavy SUV) we get high teens for MPG (about 17-19)
A smaller vehicle with a smaller 6 cylinder (albeit supercharged) I would guess about the same MPG as our Trailblazer. That is depending on how you drive it. My Lancer 2.4L gets about 30MPG (BTW I drive the piss out of it) A Honda Civic probably gets about 35MPG (however my car has 162 horsepower, a Civic has 115...big difference)
If you are going to buy an expensive car with an expensive engine with high performance that sucks premium, why do you care about MPG? BTW the EPA numbers are never close WRT my cars since if I get a powerful car, I will not drive it like a grandma, that is a huge waste.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea what your talking about. My point was, if you asked the average import car buyer what gets better mileage? A Volvo 4 cilinder turbo in a compact car with 160hp or a 3.8 supercharged 240 hp V-6 in a large midsize car, the import buyer says, the Volvo of course. NOOOOOOOOOO! That GM V-6 gets the same mileage. This is a very good GM marketing point. You can have a larger car (better safety) with far more room and a far more powerfull engine for about the same price that gets the same gas mileage. This should be a feature of all GM marketing of this engine. I do not remember seeing any GM commercials or adds that makes this comparison. A tree hugging friend of mine owns a Volvo S-40 and when I told him the 04 SS Impala gets the same mileage, he told me I was full of bleep. HELLO GM, it's MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Jun 21 2004, 05:52 PM
I have no idea what your talking about. My point was, if you asked the average import car buyer what gets better mileage? A Volvo 4 cilinder turbo in a compact car with 160hp or a 3.8 supercharged 240 hp V-6 in a large midsize car, the import buyer says, the Volvo of course. NOOOOOOOOOO! That GM V-6 gets the same mileage. This is a very good GM marketing point. You can have a larger car (better safety) with far more room and a far more powerfull engine for about the same price that gets the same gas mileage. This should be a feature of all GM marketing of this engine. I do not remember seeing any GM commercials or adds that makes this comparison. A tree hugging friend of mine owns a Volvo S-40 and when I told him the 04 SS Impala gets the same mileage, he told me I was full of bleep. HELLO GM, it's MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING.
Sure dude you have a great point. A lot if uninformed people out there don't know how well GM's L36/L67 do in the MPG department. Another common misconception is weight, size, and maintenance costs - the OHV are better in both area's when compared to OHC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts