GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I walked around tonight and found that one of the GMI mods had shut down several threads. And then I realized <light bulb flash> that I'm been spending more time in snake pit than I should. When it first arrived, it was taboo. Now it's the hang-out forum.

Ever since GMI has relented on allowing politics as a valid topic, I've witnessed some of the most off-topic, free-ranging, IQ and dialogue deficient threads known to mankind.

It's kind of like that horrific accident. You can't look at it but you cannot help but look at it. It's horrific and disgusting, but it's happening in your back yard or at your neighbor's house.

Is it just me?
What is your opinion?
Feast or Famine?
Welcome topics or scourge of the automotive enthusiast?

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Well, I haven't visited the snake pit yet because I have an addictive type personality, hence bitching where it is allowed would be like on line crack for me. :D Best i stick to threads where i have to be reasonably thoughtful in my posts.

As for the barren intellectual wasteland that is political threads, I like to hear what other people have to say (even if I believe it to be incomprehensibly stupid) because sometimes I don't know jack **** and am appreciative of GMI members seting me straight...even if I do tell them to **** off.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I think a few members are ruining it for everyone else. All it's been used for for the past month has been right-wing political propaganda.

I miss clicking on "New Posts" and seeing threads about, you know, cars; and not multiple threads on the election. I'm sure our non-American members are pretty tired of it, too.

The good old days of the Asylum have not been brought back with the Snake Pit. I guess you can never go home again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I must say I like the Snake Pit very much. I am interested in your elections much more than in never-ending Camaro and Malibu discussions because I feel more in touch with it. I have never seen a single Malibu and don´t think somebody will bother to import one here as happens with classic Chevrolets and Cadillacs. And the discussions are quite decent in my opinion. So, I am content. :)

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
I think a few members are ruining it for everyone else. All it's been used for for the past month has been right-wing political propaganda.

I miss clicking on "New Posts" and seeing threads about, you know, cars; and not multiple threads on the election. I'm sure our non-American members are pretty tired of it, too.

The good old days of the Asylum have not been brought back with the Snake Pit. I guess you can never go home again.
Not really. I find it kind of interesting. It's like 2 hillbillie brothers fighting over who has the best looking sister.:lmao:

It may come as a shock to you but we get updates almost daily (probably 5 out of 7 days a week)on commercial stations and more on the real news networks. I know Senator Palin can shoot, is a hockey mom and has a very fetching old glory bikini. What can you tell me about Dr. Brendan Nelson? Something pretty significant happened to him today. What about Malcolm Turnbull? He finally got what was always coming to him, but I would be surprised if you knew too much about it. Like it or not, US federal elections affect millions across the globe and those who thought it didn't affect them, have been convinced by the media scrum, that it will. Last year when Emperor George visited, one clueless broadcaster even said "And here comes our president" as he stepped off the plane. I **** you not!

Whilst some of the commentary on GMI is well thought out, balanced and interesting, it is the mob mentality and blind loyalty that blends nicely with the gossip column media coverage that many Aussies already receive.

Please continue to verbally punch **** out of each other. It's amusing. :laugh:

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I am not only a GM fan, but I consider myself a GMI fan as well- and they're two different things. I love to be on here not only to keep up with progress at GM, but to chat with fellow enthusiasts. As the years roll on, I start to develop relationships with "friends" on here and enjoy chatting with them about things other than GM.

The Mods are here to keep the peace and sometimes when things get too crazy (or they don't agree), they delete them. It gets irritating sometimes, but it's the price you have to pay for not owning it yourself. It's an open door policy here, and you either have to abide by the rules or GTFO.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I'm sure our non-American members are pretty tired of it, too.
Not at all. I found that I'm much more interested in American politics than drooling over a teaser shot of a 2012 Camaro convertible's rear fender while reading 20 pages of "this is sooo going to crush the Mustang and Challenger". (I'm a GM fan, but it's a question of scale. We're comparing very interesting non-GM actuality vs usually extremely boring GM daily news tidbits.)

I wouldn't be that well-informed on what's happening in this election were it not for the Snake Pit.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I love the news on GM products; but with all the cutbacks in GM programs, especially the interesting RWD and sports ones, that source of entertainment has dried up along with GM's funding.

So I have found The Snake Pit an interesting divergence. And I have found that even the fools I argue with have been well behaved. :D

Actually, the only person I fear an offensive post from these days? plane :drive:

;)

·
Registered
9,097 Posts

Couldn't have said it better. It gets expecially old when the salesman trying to sell you isn't very good and is stuck using the same old tactics that most people can see through.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
After the election.....how many months can the political back & forth sustain itself before it becomes old???

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
After the election.....how many months can the political back & forth sustain itself before it becomes old???
No worries. All political threads will have an expiration date from now until the election. After the election, no politics for awhile. I want the staff to be able to focus on covering the automotive industry news and auto shows in entirety; not combating the political BS. GMI is a news website that covers General Motors and the automotive industry as a whole; we are not obligated to tolerate political discussion that is not directly related to the industry we cover. And we will not deal with it during our busy times (auto show season).

Let me give a prelude warning of such on the matter: after the election a political post will result in an infraction. I'm only being this extreme because I'm CONFIDENT that GMI is going to have THE BEST auto show coverage on the Internet. We have been doing work behind the scenes in preparation for it and AutoForums has been pulling strings for us. We can't be the best if the staff is having to listen to the back and forth of politics.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's an election year and it's interesting reading other folks viewpoints. I may not agree but it is fodder for thought. I haven't seen anyone get too out of line so I can't see the harm.

Obama '08!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts