GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your the new king at Chevy. The beancounters tell you you can have one RWD vehicle, what type would you go for. Camaro (coupe/conv) Chevelle mid sized car (coupe/conv) Impala full sized car (sedan/coupe/conv). Anything else you can dream up. I would like all of the above but it ain't going to happen so my pick would be the Impala.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Camaro, without a doubt. All three would be nice though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
chevelle..make it about the size of the 7 series and fast as hell...prolly a 450 hp LS2 hehe. solid rear axle and all hehe

·
Registered
356 Posts
one RWD car besides the corvette, right? I would have them make a camaro. Then i'd make them drop the 5.3 V-8 into the Impala and the Monte Carlo :bounce:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Camaro. But what I would really do is open up two plants, build some holdens and badge them as chevies, all RWD, all have awesome interiors and engines...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
no doubt a Chevy Camaro shaped after the new Ferrari 612/Aston Martin Vanquish. 400hp LS2, 6spd with a SMG option, IRS. Weight=3350-3400lbs.

If not a Camaro, Id make the Impalla. RWD with AWD option, 400hp LS2 with 5spd auto.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If I had control over chevy.

1) I'd invest time and money to create a new small ecco car, be it from the kappa platform, or an entirely new one. It would have to atleast compete on the level of the Ford Focus, Honda Civic, or Toyota Carolla. A small car is a must to any company and it would be FWD as well and the new aveo or cobalt does not count. Rebadging is not engineering.

2) I'd make a serious move to imporve interior quality on all chevy vehicles. Not necessarily the look but the quality of parts. Perhaps, less low grade plastics yet nothing too fancy to keep the prices reasonable.

3) I'd bring back the caprice and it would be a RWD full size and the Impala would be a performance version of the car.

4) I'd improve the Malibu and make it not so ugly and more original and American.

5) The Monte Carlo would be a performance rwd V8 coupe with engines ranging from 3800 V6 to LS1 fury. The exterior would be left untouched but the interior would be vastly upgraded and as would the interior build quality. Either that or I'd rename it to 'Chevelle' and give it a new body but keep the chasis and running gear.

6) The Camaro would be a 2+2, two door, hatchback similar instyle to the early 70's Camaros. Engines would range from 3800 V6 to LS2 V8s. Don't get me wrong. Don't think ecco when I say hatch. All it means is that there is no trunk. The back window opens up, much like on the current corvette coupes.

7) The Corvette C6 would be a retro modern 60's style Gran Touring car with four circle tail lights and fixed headlamps. Think something like the Cobra Daytona or Ferrari GTO in style mixed with a old stingray. The car would be wider to promote stability. The car would also have a 'real' interior instead of this fake rental crap Chevy keeps putting in their cars. Try a real three spoke steering wheel, circular gauges on a squarer, more muscular, dashboard. The interior will be black with chrome rimmed gauges, the shifter would have a chrome que on top, and the dash will be dual ****pit style.

:type:

;)

oh yes!!

8) No Colorado or S-10 crap! I would bring back the real man's small pick up... dun dun duuuuuun!!!

THE EL CAMINO!!!!!

Base it off the Monte Carlo chasis and raise the body a few inches off the ground. Of course, it wouldn't be a real truck then again, it would have more towing capacity than your normal car. Also the chasis woudl be stiffed and what not. Engine choices from I4s to 3800 V6s to 4.7l v8 would be satisfyable.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Chevelle, a 500hp chevelle would ruin anyone's **** and stomp all over the mustang and leave permenant **** stains all over it. I love chevy. :wub:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by StevenJ@Jan 27 2004, 03:02 AM
If I had control over chevy.

1) I'd invest time and money to create a new small ecco car, be it from the kappa platform, or an entirely new one. It would have to atleast compete on the level of the Ford Focus, Honda Civic, or Toyota Carolla. A small car is a must to any company and it would be FWD as well and the new aveo or cobalt does not count. Rebadging is not engineering.

2) I'd make a serious move to imporve interior quality on all chevy vehicles. Not necessarily the look but the quality of parts. Perhaps, less low grade plastics yet nothing too fancy to keep the prices reasonable.

3) I'd bring back the caprice and it would be a RWD full size and the Impala would be a performance version of the car.

4) I'd improve the Malibu and make it not so ugly and more original and American.

5) The Monte Carlo would be a performance rwd V8 coupe with engines ranging from 3800 V6 to LS1 fury. The exterior would be left untouched but the interior would be vastly upgraded and as would the interior build quality. Either that or I'd rename it to 'Chevelle' and give it a new body but keep the chasis and running gear.

6) The Camaro would be a 2+2, two door, hatchback similar instyle to the early 70's Camaros. Engines would range from 3800 V6 to LS2 V8s. Don't get me wrong. Don't think ecco when I say hatch. All it means is that there is no trunk. The back window opens up, much like on the current corvette coupes.

7) The Corvette C6 would be a retro modern 60's style Gran Touring car with four circle tail lights and fixed headlamps. Think something like the Cobra Daytona or Ferrari GTO in style mixed with a old stingray. The car would be wider to promote stability. The car would also have a 'real' interior instead of this fake rental crap Chevy keeps putting in their cars. Try a real three spoke steering wheel, circular gauges on a squarer, more muscular, dashboard. The interior will be black with chrome rimmed gauges, the shifter would have a chrome que on top, and the dash will be dual ****pit style.

:type:

;)

oh yes!!

8) No Colorado or S-10 crap! I would bring back the real man's small pick up... dun dun duuuuuun!!!

THE EL CAMINO!!!!!

Base it off the Monte Carlo chasis and raise the body a few inches off the ground. Of course, it wouldn't be a real truck then again, it would have more towing capacity than your normal car. Also the chasis woudl be stiffed and what not. Engine choices from I4s to 3800 V6s to 4.7l v8 would be satisfyable.
The kappa is a RWD chassis. I dont think moms and dads would let there 17 year old kid drive a RWD car because its very unstable in the snow.

Chevy, well, all of GM is moving twards better interiors. Check out some of the pics around here. Its not the 90's anymore.

A Caprice or Impallla. I wouldnt have 2 different names for the same car from the same company. This isnt the 60's.

The Monte and Camaro 2dr coupe is another 1 car, 2 different name deals. Maybe a monte or chevelle as a larger, more luxury sports coupe Chevy and have the Camaro cover teh 20-30k market. I came up with the idea of a quad coupe Chevelle. Gives a little more felxability on a 2dr sports coupe. And, the LS1 Gen III is gone. No more LS1's. LS2 Gen IV's are here till Gen V's.

the new C6 is very european and about now the same size as a 911, which has been its target for some time. With a 5 inch reduction in length, but loger wheel base, it gives the car a different style.

and a Ute like car would be cool, but I think the Colorado fits a small truck segment better now that everyone is going twards bigger, tougher, car like trucks. And what 4.7L motor? We dont share with DCX?

and the Camaro has had a hatch since 82. There was no hatch back on teh first or 2nd gens. Started with teh thirds. I like the hatch, but its very heavy, and I would like a more conventional style trunk to give it more of a car like feel. I wouldnt be surprised to see a hatch back 5th gen either since its been a trademark for some time now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd invest alot of money in restarting GMs rotary program, and bring back the Camaro as a mid-engine RWD rotary car. We really have to get out of the front mounted piston engine mold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Retro Corvette would be bad. Very bad--can you say new Thunderbird? Retro seems more novelty than anything and that novelty wears off quickly. Corvette is about progression and evolution without forgetting its heritage.

Rotary Camaro would be bad too. Many Camaro enthusiasts would cry foul, myself included. If you want a mid-engined rotary-powered coupe, give it a different name. Camaro says raw V8 RWD power to everybody, not just enthsiasts. Even recently it was one of the 5 most recognized car names in America. That's after its discontinuation at that.

As for an El Camino, they would have to seriously rework it. The original couldn't haul anything, the suspension wasn't set up for it.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by nanotech_dude@Jan 27 2004, 06:55 AM
I'd invest alot of money in restarting GMs rotary program, and bring back the Camaro as a mid-engine RWD rotary car. We really have to get out of the front mounted piston engine mold.
I like to rotory - I used to own an RX-7 - but I don't think it makes much sense for GM. The rotory is smooth and likes to rev. It also is very small and packages well.

But, it doesn't have a ton of low-end torque, which is how many buyers measure power. Plus, it isn't great on emissions or fuel economy for its size/power.

For a compnay like Mazda, who do not make anything larger than a mid-sized six, the rotary makes some sense as a powerful powerplant for sporting models. But GM already has a whole bunch of piston engines that can more than fill that bill. It doesn't makes sense for it to invest in a whole other type of engine.

Now, the mid-engined Camaro thing always intrigued me. The Camaro orginally shared its platform with the Nova as a way of sharing parts and engineering budget. Since GM is mostly FWD (and yes, this seems to be changing), it struck me that a decent Camaro could be built using existing FWD powertrains, but on a specific platform that places them mid-ship powering the rear wheels. Kind of like a Fiero, but with way more power and 2+2 seating.

Such a car would share a bunch of parts with volume cars, keeping the price down. It would be RWD and have pretty decent weight distribution. With a longer wheel base than the Fiero, it would likely be a bit less prone to oversteer. GM even has V8 FWD packages in Cadillac and is testing such a powertrain in the GP and Impala, making such parts sharing even more practical.

The three main problems I see here are:

- Such a car might not be accepted as a Camaro (or Firebird) even with V8 power.
- Mid engined cars are less forgiving at the handling edge - such a car with 300 hp may be too much car for an inexperienced driver.
- Given enough power, such a car would be more "exotic" in some eyes than the Corvette unless it never came close in power. And if I understand the F-body enthusiast from reading posts here, power is of primary importance.

So, maybe you bring such a car to market as the Chaparral. Just musing ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Jan 27 2004, 08:01 PM
Retro Corvette would be bad.  Very bad--can you say new Thunderbird?  Retro seems more novelty than anything and that novelty wears off quickly.  Corvette is about progression and evolution without forgetting its heritage.
Retromodern, not retro. Think of the 05' stang. It would look very modern but have a distinct and detailed shape. The C6 is barely progression in terms of styling. It looks like a c5 with a body kit. Seriously. I probably should of said retrofuturism and this concept does sell. Look at the Mini Cooper and Pt Crusier! Hell, even the Viper has lots in common, as to its basic shape, with 60's GT class cars. All I'm really suggesting is a more defined, more classy shape. Something more upscale and different yet affordable. I'd also include a 4.7L V8, or the equivelant, so that way the Corvette could be priced as low as $32,000 and have a plus verison with the LS2 and then the Z06.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by nanotech_dude@Jan 27 2004, 12:55 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH BWBWHWHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHH....

*deep breath*

BWAAHAHAHAHHAHA OHMG..AHAHAHHAHAHAHAH EHEHEHAHAHHEHOHHHHHEHEHAHAHHAHAHAHH AHAHHAHAHHEHHEHHOHH.....

whew.... I think thats it... hahaha...

If GM made a rotary Camaro, Id blow up GM. We can see by the massive power the new one is putting out :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Zoom Zoom my a$$.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by StevenJ+Jan 27 2004, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StevenJ @ Jan 27 2004, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sceltor@Jan 27 2004, 08:01 PM
Retro Corvette would be bad.  Very bad--can you say new Thunderbird?  Retro seems more novelty than anything and that novelty wears off quickly.  Corvette is about progression and evolution without forgetting its heritage.
Retromodern, not retro. Think of the 05' stang. It would look very modern but have a distinct and detailed shape. The C6 is barely progression in terms of styling. It looks like a c5 with a body kit. Seriously. I probably should of said retrofuturism and this concept does sell. Look at the Mini Cooper and Pt Crusier! Hell, even the Viper has lots in common, as to its basic shape, with 60's GT class cars. All I'm really suggesting is a more defined, more classy shape. Something more upscale and different yet affordable. I'd also include a 4.7L V8, or the equivelant, so that way the Corvette could be priced as low as $32,000 and have a plus verison with the LS2 and then the Z06. [/b][/quote]
OMG, why are you guys soo funny?

The 05 stang is RETRO. Not retrofutureism bs, it is flat out retro. There is no beating around the bush with this, its retro and its ugly, fact.
The C6 is not retro, and yeah maybe 300ft away, a C6 could look like a C5. But at that distance, a C4, C5, and C6 all share the same properties and basic outline. I think the C6 looks different then the C5 totaly, just has the same basic set up as the previous 2 gens. The shape of the tails, the rear end, yeah it looks like a C5, but up close the 2 cars are very different in almost ever respect.
The PT, Mini, etc are all retro and sales have all dipped since there introduction. The PT keeps introducing new models to spice up sales for them. Mini's had a lot of talk, but for 27k, they are by far teh worst idea for BMW ever. Who wants a Bettle car car for 10k more? Not me. Only baby boomers think that the car is cool, but they dont want them?

AND A 32K CORVETTE!!! Ok, I can see what you were saying before, but im sorry this is the dumbest comment ever. Why go down market when you can move up? NO ONE would buy a 5.3L vette. The Vette is a different type of car, and at that price range its just insane to have it there. I dont understand that comment at all and I think that would ruin the Corvette more then anything else other then making it a 4dr FWD 3cyl sedan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts