GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ever became a multi-billionaire, I'd start a real stock car league. Like NASCAR was in the 1940s and 1950s. Real cars bought off the showroom floor with just safety enhancements (there was some tweaking, but what can you do).

The cars have to be FOUR DOOR sedans. V-6, V-8, RWD, FWD, anything goes in that respect just no four cylinders (keep out the rice rockets). Cars must be stock except for safety equipment (and that weight can be offset by the removal of the spare and back seat), upgraded tires, and no speed governers. Oh, and the cars have to be under $45,000.00 MSRP

Would you enter a 300C? Or a lighter car like a S/C Impala or Nissan Altima? Then there's always the CTS and G35.

For tracks with long straights I'd take the 300C, but for the tighter tracks or road courses, the CTS would be my choice....

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I assume we're talking new cars only here? I'd have to go with the GTO.

I also wouldn't exclude the 4-cylinders, although I'm sure natural selection would keep them out.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by T-Type@Jul 12 2004, 09:07 PM
I assume we're talking new cars only here? I'd have to go with the GTO.

I also wouldn't exclude the 4-cylinders, although I'm sure natural selection would keep them out.
I wrote sedan, but I guess that's not clear. So, FOUR doors only. I'd choose the GTO or Corvette if we were doing coupes, but such is not the fantasy.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Well, one of the big advantages Audi has while road racing with the AWD 5000 was it was apparently much easier on tires. Given that ovals are really tough on tires, I'd place my bets on something with AWD - even if it had less power. Fewer tire changes means more time on the track -- tough to beat on the superspeedways.

The new Cadillac STS can be ordered with AWD - with the Northstar and AWD it might be just the ticket for such a stock class -- especially after one removed several hundred pounds of luxury stuff! Oops - just noticed the $45,000 ceiling -- I think the AWD Caddy is a 60,000+ vehicle.

A Subaru Legacy with AWD would start already lighter. If you were determined to ban four cylinders, I'd go with the flat six version, though the 250 hp turbo four would be a much better place to start. And it would probably clear the price ceiling.

Outside of the GM family, the 300C will also offer AWD, so it too would be a pretty good alternative to the STS -- and a lot cheaper. You might be able to squeeze a V6 Audi Quattro A4 under the ceiling and it would offer great handling and AWD in a light, tight package.

I'd be willing to watch such nearly stock cars compete on oval and road courses -- it would be really interesting to see cars people actually drive go fender to fender.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think the real equalizer would be the power-to-weight ratio. Allowing 4 drs, 2 drs, 4 cyls, V-16s, to compete together would be a good idea. The distinction with bodies would have to be more obvious: a class for cars (I'd like to see a Cobalt vs. a 300C. Wagons versions of available models would be included) and a class for trucks (SUVs & vans included, as long as some basic engineering is shared. A Silverado could go up against an Escalade while there would be Ford entries of Expedition &/or E-350 [I don't know Fords, I could be wrong about those two]. That would be a wierd looking race).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Yes I would have said an WRX if 4 cyl. were allowed but seeing that they are not I would have to say Volvo S60R AWD 300hp six speed. whoops sorry 5 cyl.

I would pick as hi up the Audi A6 ladder as I could go with $45k

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by doh@Jul 13 2004, 01:41 PM
Yes I would have said an WRX if 4 cyl. were allowed but seeing that they are not I would have to say Volvo S60R AWD 300hp six speed. whoops sorry 5 cyl.

I would pick as hi up the Audi A6 ladder as I could go with $45k
Audi S4 or Audi RS6

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
I'd take the 9-5 Aero. Sorry.. it's a 4-cyl car. But it ain't no ricer!! :roflmao:
It'll eat a lotta other cars for lunch.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
AMEN! I hate the current incarnation of NASCAR, with the fake shell bodies that approximate a production vehicle. How boring is that!

I miss the old days of watching races based largely on production vehicles. I don't care whether we choose coupes or sedans, I think it would be great to see races based on OEM products again. I realize that there would need to be some level of modifications, such as roll cages or other safety mods, but if the rules insisted that the production sheet metal, chassis, and drivetrain had to remain intact, imagine that!

That type of racing would get me to watch again. Until then, I'll remain uninterested, especially in current-day NASCAR.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Jul 15 2004, 12:45 PM
STi... just to piss off the rednecks who have some strange hate for 4cyls and cars from Japan... :rolleyes:
:lol: Yeah, that would piss them off for sure.

I'd consider:
GTO
CTS-V

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by ByTheLake@Jul 15 2004, 05:31 PM
I'd consider:
GTO
CTS-V
Exactly my choice, in reverse order.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would take a pontiac grand prix gxp, if we were alowed two door sedans, and up the price alittle, i would take a nissan skyline gt-r (r34)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mercedes S65 AMG: big heavy car, but a 6.0L V12 twin turbo with 700+ lbs.-ft. is tough to beat. Also not yet available in the US.

BMW e60 M5 V10: More reasonable weight, 507 hp, and a 7 speed SMG. How cool is a 7 speed tranny? Coming to the US.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by chris442@Jul 21 2004, 06:51 AM
Mercedes S65 AMG: big heavy car, but a 6.0L V12 twin turbo with 700+ lbs.-ft. is tough to beat. Also not yet available in the US.

BMW e60 M5 V10: More reasonable weight, 507 hp, and a 7 speed SMG. How cool is a 7 speed tranny? Coming to the US.
Um, I think those are bit more than the $45,000.00 MSRP limit...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hmm..under $45k, that doesn't leave nearly as many choices, esp. being 4-doors.

Maybe a M-B C32 AMG, but it might be a touch above $45k.

The new 300C and the Charger have been metioned, but they might be the best. The SRT versions may make things a little more interesting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts