GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet my dad. He's never heard of GMI, never been on GMI, and I don't have conversations with him like I do on GMI. I feed him information only.

I sent my dad the latest Detroit News article detailing the CT6. He went on a tangent. These are entirely his opinions.

Does he not fit right in?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Well I can certainly understand the sentiment. With Lincoln in shambles, and Chrysler downgraded and not even playing the game anymore, American luxury has been whittled down to only Cadillac now and even they aren't up to par just yet. But I like what I'm seeing/hearing about the CT6, and have hope for the CT's 7, 8, and 9. It's not an overnight endeavor for sure but a battle it seems Cadillac is up for.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Sounds like a neat guy ;). Then again I've driven an S class(previous gen) and still don't really want one. I understand him completely on the Porsche sentiment, though. I love Corvette with all my heart, but I want and need a 911 in my life. Someday I will have both in the garage and I'll be a very happy man. :drive:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Meet my dad. He's never heard of GMI, never been on GMI, and I don't have conversations with him like I do on GMI. I feed him information only.

I sent my dad the latest Detroit News article detailing the CT6. He went on a tangent. These are entirely his opinions.

Now I understand where you get your pleasant disposition........

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like half of all Americans, got burned some where along the line and would not even consider American, even if we're given to him. They do have their work cut out for them.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I will say this for the S-Class: I've driven one example -- a well used late 80s model. It was owned by one of my Dad's friends who needed to take it to the dealer as it was consuming coolant. He didn't know anything about cars and wanted an unbiased translator. Turned out to be a blown head gasket and a repair that was too much to justify given the car's age and condition. Even toward the end of its life and likely running on seven cylinders, it was still impressive to drive. I've never driven anything that big that handled and drove that well. In its time, there wasn't anything quite like it -- at least until BMW launched the 750.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
my mother bought a new 1982 CIVIC and drove it for 8 trouble free years while my grand dad owned FORD/CHEVY and Dodge products that kept braking down so in 1990 by grand dad bought a NEW CIVIC and that car is STILL ON THE ROAD

it is stories like that that NEED to be overcome

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Your old man is really speaking the truth and a common opinion many Americans hold. My sister hates everything that's not German and Japanese. In her mind, they really are the best, and there is some truth to that. My sister had Honda Accords for years, and she's never had a single issue with them. She kept the coupe for a daily driver and drives the RX to haul the kids around in. She's thinking of trading it in for something larger like a Infiniti QX60 or a Audi Q7.

The GM recall fiasco has made her even more hostile towards GM vehicles.

Oh, my uncle is a Subaru Legacy Outback owner and buys certified used ones that are like 10 years old, and they keep running for another 10-15 years. Wow.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts

He's pretty much right.
My dad loves the S-Class. He'd never buy one, as he doesn't need one. I just remember him at the dealership one day opening and closing the S-Class doors because they were soft-close. LOL

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Your old man is really speaking the truth and a common opinion many Americans hold. My sister hates everything that's not German and Japanese. In her mind, they really are the best, and there is some truth to that. My sister had Honda Accords for years, and she's never had a single issue with them. She kept the coupe for a daily driver and drives the RX to haul the kids around in. She's thinking of trading it in for something larger like a Infiniti QX60 or a Audi Q7.

The GM recall fiasco has made her even more hostile towards GM vehicles.

Oh, my uncle is a Subaru Legacy Outback owner and buys certified used ones that are like 10 years old, and they keep running for another 10-15 years. Wow.
I've always been a fan of Subaru, in general (even with their awful interiors that continue to this day), but:

A) I don't think that you can find a certified used Subaru that is 10 years old (at least not from a Subaru dealer)

B) How many head gaskets has your uncle replaced?

C) The Outback debuted in '94, so if he bought a '94 in 2004, and still drives it today, then that covers the running for another 10 years. Check back in 2019 for the 15 year update.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I've always been a fan of Subaru, in general (even with their awful interiors that continue to this day), but:

A) I don't think that you can find a certified used Subaru that is 10 years old (at least not from a Subaru dealer)

B) How many head gaskets has your uncle replaced?

C) The Outback debuted in '94, so if he bought a '94 in 2004, and still drives it today, then that covers the running for another 10 years. Check back in 2019 for the 15 year update.
I was trying to remember what he told me years ago. Sorry if my statement wasn't clear or accurate enough for you. I was simply going by what he told me, and I'm totally unaware of Subaru's past. He told me that he buys certified, and I'm not sure why he would lie about that. He currently owns a 2001 Outback. He had three Subaru wagons over the past 30 years. He lives in CT and bought them at the same dealer location for years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.