GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did GM opt for an I5 in the Canyon because the I6 would not fit or was it just to be different?
I was really thinking of replacing my 95 Sonoma(nearing 100k now) with the Canyon but the I5 dosen't do much for me given what I've read about the specs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I believe the I6 does not fit in the Canyon/Colorado.
The I6 is probably too much engine for those trucks.

Not to say it would be too much for an SS version.
But I imagine a turbo I5 would be used for that. B)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
the I6 engine was way too long for the engine bay of the GMT350. The SS version (hopefully) will have the turbocharged I5 out of the belair concept from a few years ago with 350 HP

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by usafang@Jun 10 2004, 01:40 PM
Did GM opt for an I5 in the Canyon because the I6 would not fit or was it just to be different?
I was really thinking of replacing my 95 Sonoma(nearing 100k now) with the Canyon but the I5 dosen't do much for me given what I've read about the specs.
Thanks!
The I6 could not be packaged in the Canyon. What disappoints you so much about the specs? It is competitive to others in its class in most cases more powerful with better efficiency and it definitly is better than its predecessor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should test drive an I5 before you down it too much. I along with a lot of others are very happy with the I5 and the fuel mileage.

With gasoline prices so High I think GM made a good move going with the engines they chose. I'm averaging 20.75 MPG over the 8900 miles I've put on my colorado. I have seen as high as 23.17 on the hiway. The lowest was about 18 around town.

It has no problems on Power for the class it is in. Compare it to any 4x4 mid size V6 engine and which has more HP? The torque figures are lower but IMO not noticable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by usafang@Jun 10 2004, 01:40 PM
Go test drive one with an I5.

My I5 Colorado with the 3.42s will blow my sister's '95 Sonoma with the 4.3L away, and I get better fuel economy as well. I've gotten over 23mpg out of the last 5 tanks. My average over the 20K+ miles I've put on it is over 20MPG, and thats including towing an Olds Delta 88 for 750 miles, and helping friends move a couple times, with all kinds of junk in the back of the truck. The interior of the Colorado/Canyon is much better than that of the 2nd Gen S-10/Sonoma (I had a '95 S-10, my sister has a '95 Sonoma, my mom has a '03 S-10, soon to be my brother's), and I like the look and larger size of the Colorado/Cayon better, too.

The I6 won't fit, its too long, but don't dismiss the I5 without at least test driving one first.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I may just be strange, but I think the idea of a 5-cylinder inline DOHC engine from GM is just wicked cool. So unlike the cheap and lazy GM method of dropping a "proven" engine in there.

One thing I don't understand is why they needed a totally different I-4 in the Colorado than the one going into the Cobalt - the specs seem very similar. Sure one is for a car, and one is for a truck - but didn't the S-10 share an engine with the Cavalier at one point?

Another bit of strangeness is that the I-5 and I-4 aren't showing up in any other GM products. I'd like to see the I-5 go into something else, sharing new engines across brands is one of the best ways to ensure aftermarket support and dealer support in the future for this pair of odd engines. It would have been cool to see the Colorado's I-4 go into the Equinox instead of the old 3400. The specs should be similar, and torquey.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There's lots of room in the Equinox engine bay for
something larger (I4 or I5) to be installed later on.
I'm sure they have a future engine change in mind.
(Although my guess would be the new 200-hp 3.5L.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 14 2004, 02:48 PM
I may just be strange, but I think the idea of a 5-cylinder inline DOHC engine from GM is just wicked cool. So unlike the cheap and lazy GM method of dropping a "proven" engine in there.

One thing I don't understand is why they needed a totally different I-4 in the Colorado than the one going into the Cobalt - the specs seem very similar. Sure one is for a car, and one is for a truck - but didn't the S-10 share an engine with the Cavalier at one point?

Another bit of strangeness is that the I-5 and I-4 aren't showing up in any other GM products. I'd like to see the I-5 go into something else, sharing new engines across brands is one of the best ways to ensure aftermarket support and dealer support in the future for this pair of odd engines. It would have been cool to see the Colorado's I-4 go into the Equinox instead of the old 3400. The specs should be similar, and torquey.
I've seen this question before and actually wondered myself.

The I4/I5/I6 Atlas Engine family are all for rear wheel drive applications.

The other I4/I6 engines are for front wheel drive side way mounted applications.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The 2.2 in the S10 was nasty! My uncle has one and it is noisy, shakes, and is pretty slow. The new I4 has decent HP numbers, and the I5 is an imprivement from what it replaces. Yes in a year or two the competition will have more HP, but I am sure GM will find some more power in the I5. Hell we should be happy, GM put a "higher tech" engine in a vehical and we know we all want that to happen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 14 2004, 02:48 PM
GM doesn't have anything else they could put the inline Vortecs in. The I5 could replace the 4.3L V6 in the GMT800s, maybe.

The base engine in the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier is the I6, so putting in the I4 or I5 doesn't make any sense.

The Equinox is FWD, so you can't use a longitudinally mounted engine.

There aren't any RWD cars they could put it in, either.

The new Colorado/Canyon can't use e85, which personally I think is a liability, that capability should be made system-wide...to each their own I guess!
That wouldn't do me much good, I'd have to go 20 miles out of my way to get to a station that has E85, but thats just me.

Nick

·
Registered
708 Posts
It is interesting that the I4/I5 is only going into the GMT355s.
I guess the fact the Atlas engine line shares so many parts it
is not really all that bad that they are not distributing them to
other lines. I guess the I5 will be in the H3, too.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Jun 15 2004, 05:18 PM
other lines. I guess the I5 will be in the H3, too.
That post is exactly on the money.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by 91z4me+Jun 16 2004, 07:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (91z4me @ Jun 16 2004, 07:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thehemi@Jun 15 2004, 05:18 PM
other lines.  I guess the I5 will be in the H3, too.
That post is exactly on the money. [/b][/quote]
grrrrrrr they should ditch the I5 for the H3 and install the Isuzu D-Maxx V-6 diesel. Hummer's a name in offroad right? and what do you do when you go offroad, go slowly. WHat do you need to move weight at slow speed? torque, and what is diesel all about? TORQUE. Very simple equation, GM designers hopefully have seen it, it should just be a bolt in replacement. Maybe it shouldn't be the standard engine but at least an option. Hummer is an offroad brand, and the H3 will most likely compete with upper end liberties and lower end Grand Cherokees and in order to do that they need the offroad prowess to match. GM screwed up on the H2, no going back on that, but the H3 is pretty much a clean slate, I'm hoping that enough people over at GM have had the same thoughts as me and they are going to make the V-6 available on the H3. Hopefully.....

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
A turbo I-5 would solve a lot of problems.

#1- Good power for the H3, and off roading Colorado/Canyon trucks. Torque machine.
#2- Good power and attractive for a "sport" truck. Having the engine built for heavy duty, read: forged, activity
#3- A turbo Atlas motor would go great into the 9-7x, and so Ming doesnt have a hissy when he sees a 5.3 V8 Saab. :lol:
#4- Possible motor for future RWD/AWD cars. Ford has a turbo i-6 down under, and its praised for its power to keep up with Holdens V8's. A turbo i5 would be a neat motor for Europe as well.

The motor could keep up with the larger V6's and V8's in the market. And they can praise the "more power per cube" and all that jazz.

I would like to see a turbo I-5 in a hot rod!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna@Jun 17 2004, 01:27 AM
grrrrrrr they should ditch the I5 for the H3 and install the Isuzu D-Maxx V-6 diesel. Hummer's a name in offroad right? and what do you do when you go offroad, go slowly. WHat do you need to move weight at slow speed? torque, and what is diesel all about? TORQUE.
It would be nice to have a Diesel option in the 355s and the 345, but I doubt it'll happen. The American public still sees Diesels as loud, slow, smelly, and polluting engines.

I think they'd go Turbo I5 first.

Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 1500 miles on my I5 5spd and love the engine / combination. Plus the I5 is a very modern design (finally someone at GM let a few extra pennies be used for something valuable instead of plastic body cladding)... it has coil on plugs, balance shafts, variable exhaust timing, etc... and I am getting 20-25 mpg even this early in the game.

Great engine - you'll love it. I would just opt for the 5spd...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna+Jun 16 2004, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bakerna @ Jun 16 2004, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 07:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-thehemi
@Jun 15 2004, 05:18 PM

grrrrrrr they should ditch the I5 for the H3 and install the Isuzu D-Maxx V-6 diesel. Hummer's a name in offroad right? and what do you do when you go offroad, go slowly. WHat do you need to move weight at slow speed? torque, and what is diesel all about? TORQUE. Very simple equation, GM designers hopefully have seen it, it should just be a bolt in replacement. Maybe it shouldn't be the standard engine but at least an option. Hummer is an offroad brand, and the H3 will most likely compete with upper end liberties and lower end Grand Cherokees and in order to do that they need the offroad prowess to match. GM screwed up on the H2, no going back on that, but the H3 is pretty much a clean slate, I'm hoping that enough people over at GM have had the same thoughts as me and they are going to make the V-6 available on the H3. Hopefully..... [/b][/quote]
The D-Maxx's Diesels are only 4 Cyls. There is The 3.5 DI V6 but it is gas. None of these engines are US certified because none of them are sold in the states, note slightly different DI v6 than the other Isuzu's get. The D-Maxx is on a slightly different platform than the Colorado/Canyon twins. The actual chassis engineers stated that a V6 will not fit nor would a V8 or the I6. The I6 is to long. The V6's and V8's are to wide. The twins were made for just the inline Atlas 5 and 4. The Turbo I5 will make plenty of power. The 4 and 5 will both get bumps in hp over the years, timing change for more power and less gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by 91z4me+Jun 19 2004, 08:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (91z4me @ Jun 19 2004, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 07:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-thehemi
@Jun 15 2004, 05:18 PM

grrrrrrr they should ditch the I5 for the H3 and install the Isuzu D-Maxx V-6 diesel. Hummer's a name in offroad right? and what do you do when you go offroad, go slowly. WHat do you need to move weight at slow speed? torque, and what is diesel all about? TORQUE. Very simple equation, GM designers hopefully have seen it, it should just be a bolt in replacement. Maybe it shouldn't be the standard engine but at least an option. Hummer is an offroad brand, and the H3 will most likely compete with upper end liberties and lower end Grand Cherokees and in order to do that they need the offroad prowess to match. GM screwed up on the H2, no going back on that, but the H3 is pretty much a clean slate, I'm hoping that enough people over at GM have had the same thoughts as me and they are going to make the V-6 available on the H3. Hopefully.....
The D-Maxx's Diesels are only 4 Cyls. There is The 3.5 DI V6 but it is gas. None of these engines are US certified because none of them are sold in the states, note slightly different DI v6 than the other Isuzu's get. The D-Maxx is on a slightly different platform than the Colorado/Canyon twins. The actual chassis engineers stated that a V6 will not fit nor would a V8 or the I6. The I6 is to long. The V6's and V8's are to wide. The twins were made for just the inline Atlas 5 and 4. The Turbo I5 will make plenty of power. The 4 and 5 will both get bumps in hp over the years, timing change for more power and less gas mileage. [/b][/quote]
For 2007, I believe all of the Atlas engines will be bumped up .2 liters, to 3.0, 3.7, and 4.4 liters. This should help the torque situation a bit for the N/A motors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I test drove the I5 and I'm not impressed. That's why my 95 GMC Sonoma will be replaced with the 2k5 Frontier that has a 4.0 V6(drived from the SWEET 3.5) with 240+ hp and can be had with a manual transmission. Bet ya the mpg's will be as good as the I5 plus more HP and torgue!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts