GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
blob or not, my former boss finally is interested in buying an EV. He is no longer prejudiced against electrics (range, charging, maintenance in severe winters) because they appeared in local Mercedes dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Will Not Drive the Blob
September 10, 2021
By Peter Holderith, The Drive

We've all seen it before, the blob. No hood, no trunk, just a voluminous cavern with humans on the inside and some wild styling features on the outside. The word "mobility" is thrown around, there are exotic yet sustainable and/or recyclable materials--which is good, because usually you never see it again. Hopefully, they can stuff it all in the blue bin. It's a lesson shown time and time again: If you want to get people excited, a formless thing is not going to do it.

When you look at certain electric vehicle concepts with varying degrees of autonomy baked in--whether that technology is viable or not--the design trend becomes clear. The blob is the future of cars. And I do not want to drive the blob. In fact, I'd wager nobody wants to drive the blob.

View attachment 64415

Rivian, Lucid, Ford, General Motors, and other American automakers (even Tesla) all understand this. For some reason, though, German automakers are not only clinging to this anti-shape, but trying to base entire EV product lines around it. The blob does have its aerodynamic advantages, which help negate the range penalties that come with a cabin full of energy-sapping creature comforts. But what matters now in selling EVs is not about proving that electric cars can be hyper-efficient eco-pods with burlap seats and mushroom plastics. It's about showing that they can fit into people's lives in a way that doesn't challenge their understanding of the world around them.

Continues at link
I haven’t seen the EQS in real life, but it reminds me of the CLS 500 which I like. I’m not sure if I’ll ever buy a Mercedes as I have an aversion to $2000 dealer visits. I’m much more comfortable with Cadillac dealer service.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts