GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the passanger seat has more leg room then the driver seat? I mean, the car was designed for right hand drive... so by build, the car must have more room on the right hand side? I heard someone complaining about there being no dead pedal on teh GTO's and thought if this was the reason? I see in other pics, there being a dead pedal on the RHD models. Just a funny thought. Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wouldn't think so, since the car's frame is symetrical, the only difference would be flipping the interrior, er mirroring it...or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Seat racks travel a fair distance on both sides of vehicle. Also. the steering column is adjustable up/down and in/out.

I have set my Holden so that the seat position is as far back as possible to maintain contact with pedals and steering wheel is a close as possible to the dash and still read all the tell-tale lamps.

Reason for doing so - if the airbag goes off it won't blow my tits off!!

Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Our cultures are so similar, yet so completely different.

Cars, phrases, etc.

Australia is like some kind of Bizarro-land America. Or it could be said in reverse too, not meant as an insult :).

·
Registered
129 Posts
freak,

Don't be a wanker. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 18 2003, 03:34 AM
Our cultures are so similar, yet so completely different.

Cars, phrases, etc.

Australia is like some kind of Bizarro-land America. Or it could be said in reverse too, not meant as an insult :).
Im with TA on this. If oil prices and insurance rates didnt climb and choke off the beloved muscle/pony cars of the 60's.... the US would be just like Australia. Tons of RWD, 300+ sedans and coupes.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
bigals87z28,

I suppose Australia is fast succumbing to the litigation antics the US has had for some years now. - we have cases of 'ambulance chasers'!

We are going through a "horror patch" where the issue of public liability insurance premiums is killing all sorts of activities - train rides, car rallies, car preservation meetings, historical racing, etc - the list is ever-expanding.

We also were subject to the 'do gooders' campaigning to kill off the horsepower race in the 1970s. We had some relatively brutal horsepower cars in this period.

Over the last 10 years or so, Australia has slowly re emerged with some decently powered streetcars (Ford and Holden both), but now the do-gooders are starting to harp once more about "speed kills" and drawing attention to the 'powerful cars" our youth are able to access. Australia has always had a very strong RWD and good power expectation from our cars because of our relatively long distances. Ford and Holden have obliged.

My quip about the airbags - we (a generalisation of course), as a society have almost completely and compliantly accepted the wearing of seat belts in our cars in Oz and the airbags are "supplementary" to our belts - you may see references to "SRS" on the GTOs.

Does your society readily accept the wearing of seat belts or is there still (as I understand it) a reluctance to use them?

Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
Everyone I know wears them without problems. I think where I live (Indiana) there's something with trucks that you don't have to wear them, but I'm not 100% on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here in Michigan, you wear them... if you don't, you'll get a ticket.

Although, it only seems like common sense!

I had a friend get in an accident a few weeks ago and the seat belt he was wearing saved his life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts