GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes wonder if I'm a closet Chrysler fanatic. Last night at the LA Auto Show, I found out that I was.

Not that I'm ready to give up my Cadillacs yet, but the new Chrysler 300C, due out a few months, is a breathtaking and imposing sight to behold. And a very tempting alternative. :eek:

With loaded interior and performance appointments, including Hemi power, the 300C will come in under $40K according to the Chrysler guy. My fabulous CTS was priced right at $40K, and given the price similarity, I think I would have had a difficult time plopping down the money for my newest Cadillac had the 300C been available. A really difficult time. Really difficult. Really really difficult.

Of course, I couldn't drive one, so maybe that's where my similarly priced Cadillac would have proven itself a clearly superior choice, but somehow, I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong--my top-of-the-range CTS with its manual Getrag tranny and performance package is as excellent a performer as anything in its class that I've ever driven, but my tastes lean toward larger cars with V8 engines (I traded a DTS for the CTS), not to mention the fact that the 300C is very likely an excellent performer given its 340hp Hemi power and its Mercedes underpinnings.

We Cadillac/GM fanatics should be worried about this car, and about what might follow it.

Then again, we're talking about an '05 car, and GM has some pretty amazing cars on the docket for '05. Perhaps the new STS and CTS-V will put this Chrysler in its place. Even before then, maybe the GTO will prove more desirable in spite of the ho-hum perception of its styling.

In any case, hats off to the folks at Chrysler for what appears to be a very well-done automobile that evokes the best of the American automobile heritage, even if the car itself isn't completely American. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Yeah, I like it!! Personaly I cant wait for dodges version to come out. A little bit more curves on the dodge model, and make a 2dr coupe version and Im gunna have a tough time waiting for a Camaro. I wont go mustang ever, but if Dodge came out with a Magnum coupe SRT-8, and there was no Camaro Z or SS by then? Mopar here I come. If the Camaro comes out by then, the clear choice would be the 390hp(figure after it gets "detuned") Camaro with a 6spd.

Cool, how big is the 300c? Is it bigger then the CTS? Chrystler could be snatching a few people away. I think thats Caddy's biggest faults right now is not putting a smaller V8 in the CTS like in the LS from lincoln, at least in my mind it is. The CTSV will be too much money for the 300c, but then again the price hasnt been anounced yet. You know its sad when Dodge's Magnum wagon puts out more power to the rear wheels then a Mustang Gt...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 8 2004, 12:28 PM
Cool, how big is the 300c? Is it bigger then the CTS?
Definitely. It looks DeVille-sized, but taller. It looks like a big, glorious, in-your-face American car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've always been a Chrysler fan (and an equal GM fan, and Ok... I like Ford a little...) so this thrills me to no end. Chrysler.com will let you "Build Your Own," and with all the options, but no accessories, the tab comes to ~$38,7XX.

I love the CTS, but for less than $39,000 I can't turn down 340hp and 390lb-ft of torque, even if it is connected to an automatic.

The STS and the CTS-V will be cool, but the I'm sure an STS priced at $39K won't compare, and the CTS-V is $49,995 (I doubt they're going to sell at MSRP, either). At this pace, Cadillac needs to rely on its styling and luxury equipment, and Lincoln simply needs to quit building sedans.

I'm just glad at least two Detroit automakers are on the up and up. Can't say much about Ford.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
After reading the posts, I priced a 300C myself. I had to resort to the accessories to get the sound system I wanted (AM/FM/CD/MP3 with navigation system), and it came out at $38,075. Except for a six speed behind the Hemi, I couldn't want for more.

As for being a closet Chrysler fan, don't be embarassed. I own two, myself, and still love both of them. I'm just wondering how I could afford the 300C and a Solstice, too.

After reading review of the Crossfire, I regard this as round two of seeing Chrysler use Mercedes parts to build a better and more stylish car than Mercedes itself would dare build.

If I were you, coolcaddy, I might consider waiting until the new DTS comes out. Remember that GM has something of the V8 and RWD variety coming. Surely Cadillac will be part of it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
the DTS i figure will be out of range of most people. I would venture to say 60k base. The STS pics out now look pretty good! I really wish Caddy would make possibly a wider range of northstar motors other then the 4.6. A 4.4, 4.6, and a 5.0 would be a good flavor. The 4.6 can be the base for the DTS, with a 5.0 as a middle and the 7.5 V12 as the top of the line, 100k plus sedan to fit the feel of 7 and S series cars.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Don't tell me a 300C is cute----Its hideous, but then once you look at the Dodge Magnum, you wonder what in the world were they thinking when they built this ugly vehicle?:money!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by DropTopOlds@Jan 9 2004, 04:27 PM
I love the CTS, but for less than $39,000 I can't turn down 340hp and 390lb-ft of torque, even if it is connected to an automatic.
The Magnum RT will run you $30,000.
With 2.82 gears, it still does 6.3 0-60s.
Not too shabby for a 4000-lb wagon. :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The Chrysler 300 is a good looking car, only when you get the top range "C" model with the big rims and lots of chrome. I would still take a CTS over it any day though, especially with the new 255 Horse 3.6 in the caddy. Overall acceleration would be pretty equal between the 300C and the Caddy, except the Caddy would naturally handle better since its quite a bit lighter. All in all the new for 2005 Mercedes Benz-excuse me, I mean "Chrysler" :rolleyes: 300C should be a pretty descent car for the money.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 13 2004, 07:09 PM
The Chrysler 300 is a good looking car, only when you get the top range "C" model with the big rims and lots of chrome. I would still take a CTS over it any day though, especially with the new 255 Horse 3.6 in the caddy. Overall acceleration would be pretty equal between the 300C and the Caddy, except the Caddy would naturally handle better since its quite a bit lighter. All in all the new for 2005 Mercedes Benz-excuse me, I mean "Chrysler" :rolleyes: 300C should be a pretty descent car for the money.
I'm sorry but you are ***** if you wouldn't perfer a V8 over a V6. An I6 turbo I can understand but still. Besides, you could easily make the 300 run circles around the caddy. It's using a very tiny final drive. Just up it to 4.00 and you are go to do 0-60 in the 5s

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I sat in the 300C at the Canadian Auto show (the keys were even in it, I played with the stereo and the navigation). I really like this car. Inside and outside. Nice driving position. Feels sturdy. If I was in the market for a big sedan, this would be at the top of the list. (Even in non V-8 format).

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I am not a "*****", thanks though. Anyway, I would prefer an elegent brand new Caddy with a smooth running V6 over an old E-Class, I mean "300C". But thats just my opinion. I guess I will just have to compare performance numbers with the CTS and the 300C when final specs are reviewed in a C/D.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 15 2004, 02:29 AM
Now, thats a nice looking interior.  Eat your heart out Chrysler :roflmao:

Now this is an interior. Unless if you are obsessed with hard plastic and lack of chrome/ brushed aluminum.

And just to insult you "GM Is God" purist even more, This is a REAL interior...

And yes, from a FORD!! Not a Lincoln a FORD!!! A main brand FORD MUSTANG!!!! Not to say that GM can't build a good car, they can and have many times over, but GM is not the leading on excellent interiors no matter what you purist may say. And if you want to see a REALLY NICE interior, look at the new Lincoln Aviator and Mark X concepts. Maybe cool details like brushed aluminum and analog Roman numeralled clocks will set into your heads as to what makes up a GOOD interior. Sorry, it had to be done and yes I do like a number of GM cars, Chevelle, Camaros, Firebirds, old GTOs, Novas, and what not but the idiocy is getting to be very high on these boards.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Look at the size of that gap under the HVAC controls (chrysler). Does that thing even have automatic climate controls?? Remember the Mark X and the Aviator are CONCEPTS, not production, they are supposed to look great to catch peoples eyes. The Mustang interior is very nice, I agree all the way with that. Its nice to see Ford take such a huge step forward with it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 15 2004, 04:07 PM
My Point
a gap! OH NO!
n/m the fact that it really doesnt affect a damned thing about the car. Most people will not notice it in casual driving and even if you do, so what? The gaps in my old Jeep or my CHEVROLET S10 interior are huge and did that affect ANYTHING? no.
if the car is quiet, drives well (or sporty depending on purpose) feels solid, and looks good, then who gives a damn about an extra couple mm of panel gap?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts