GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i understand that my solstice had a recall, I'm not even the least but upset. Hell I even received great service at the dealer for it. But WHY did I end up with cheap looking unbranded keys? I gave the dealer my Pontiac factory part and I received a cheap generic replacement. This is not acceptable and it shows a lack of attention to detail, whole showing that GM is still taking the easy way out. Instead of managing each customer case, vehicle by vehicle you are giving everyone cheap generic replacements.

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
[:pics:]

Reactions: mchicha

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
This.

I'd be interested to know if some dealers have found aftermarket keys cheaper so they can pay a lower wholesale price while still charging GM back for the OE retail price. This could perhaps happen if GM is telling dealers to simply get whatever they can for keys if internal supply is low/on back order.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They do the same thing for the Saturn Ion keys; they are just blanks so they don't have to spend the money specializing the keys. Heck, I bet even the Chevy Cobalt keys are blank.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Makes sense, linton23, especially with tomcat_cool17's experience. However, they should have at least had the Mark of Excellence in place of the defunct brands' logo.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Could it be the fact that GM is no longer producing Pontiac branded keys. I mean the last Pontiacs were 2010 we are now in the 2015 model year?
Or, it could be that they are just too cheap to throw a damn Pontiac logo on them. kinda like how they were too cheap to put a non defective ignition switch in the car in the first place. :p:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Or, it could be that they are just too cheap to throw a damn Pontiac logo on them. kinda like how they were too cheap to put a non defective ignition switch in the car in the first place. :p:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I'd say be happy they at least fessed up to the problem and are correcting the situation. Would you rather have the bad ignition with a Pontiac key or a safe ignition and a blank key?
Why can't he have a safe ignition with a Pontiac key?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'd rather have my OE style key, and have the common sense enough not to hit the fob with my knee while I'm driving.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
this "recall" is simply trading the OE pontiac key with the slot for the key ring for one with a HOLE
and for the dealer cheeping out in a NHTSA mandated recall GM has prove to the GOVERNMENT that the parts have bean changed out and that compliant parts are used so GM HAS to supply the proper parts and can NOT let the dealer supply there own parts

1 - 20 of 43 Posts