GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite Cadillac salesman at my favorite dealership called me up yesterday afternoon to let me know that an XLR had arrived. Naturally, I was there within twenty minutes of the call. ;) The car had just come off the truck, so it was dirty and had the plastic coverings all over it, but there was enough there for me to sit in and play with.

I'd seen one in real life at the LA Auto Show last January, but it was neat to get up close and personal with one of these things and notice all the little touches you can't see when the car is on a spinning platform.

The first thing that jumped out at me was that the instrument cluster is sort of 3-D, like the gauges in the Porsche Boxster. I'd seen many pictures of the instrument panel, but never noticed this. It looks REALLY sharp!

A lot of the little touches, like "XLR" scripts everywhere (including a vague "XLR" script on top of one of the headlight lenses), "BVLGARI" script surrounding the center button on the fob to match the script around the speedometer, a button underneath the trunk lid to power-close the trunk, a scrolling "XLR by Cadillac" message that appears in the DIC when the car starts--it just all adds to the utter hipness of this car.

The engine cover is beautiful, and makes the engine look much more massive than it is. I can imagine, though, that folks who have the good fortune of owning an XLR will spend just as much time washing the car under the hood as they will the rest of the car. It's too pretty under there to let it get dirty. B)

Unfortunately, this particular model was spoken for, so I couldn't drive it; BUT, I got to play with the nifty keyless push-button starter. The thing WORKS! You just put the fob in your pocket, sit in the car, and push the button. If you sit in the car without the fob, the DIC displays a message something like "No fob detected". Really slick.

The XLR is the most flawless car I've come across in a long time, sitting still at least. :p This particular dealership has 18 coming in, and all 18 are already sold! However, when you have that many pre-orders, chances are good that at least one of them will fall through, meaning that the dealership will have a demo for "serious buyers", or for guys like me who are in there all the time bugging them to let me drive one :rolleyes: , so I suspect I'll get a chance to take one for a spin before long. FWIW, I'll definitely tell you folks about it if and when that happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Oct 28 2003, 07:51 PM
coolcaddy -

Wow! Thanks for the description....can't wait for your reaction to the test drive!

I think the XLR will appeal to younger people, since it now appears Cadillac is becoming the hippest luxury car on the market. Younger buyers (entrepreneurs, athletes, movers & shakers) want something different from their parents and the baby boomers. The XLR makes a much bolder and racier styling statement than any of it's competitors. The toughest competitor is the SL, but it is 20k more. The Jaguar is an 8 year old design and has poor resale value. The Lexus looks like a pregnant ****roach, and appeals to older women looking for soft luxury. Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln aren't players. BMW has a 645i convertible coming out, but like the SL, lacks the bolder styling of the Caddy.

I really think Cadillac has a winner. It's amazing....luxury car competition is intense, but Cadillac is making them all look old and tired. Way to go GM!! :D
The lard bodied Lexass doesn't just appeal to older women, it resembles one. One who's been hitting the bon-bons big time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i was resently at an auto show at the nassau colosseum, and they had an xlr there. and i was lucky because they were only letting a handfull of people sit in it and i was one of them and i have to say it is one of the greatest cars i have ever sat in. but the fake plastic wood was a turn off but the whole car is just amazing looking, the engine looks really nice in the car, and the material in on the seats is like a really nice suede/leather :lol: if i had the money id buy it. also what was wierd was they a new gto there that i sat in but the shifter was missing and the pontiac sign was ripped off and i asked the guy what happend and he said some people at another auto show stole them ( i dont know how but hey did)..but anyway the point is that the speedometer goes up to 260mph on the gto. i really dought it goes that fast, im mean the 2003 corvettes speedometer only goes up to like 220...id like to find out more about this 260mph :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Nov 1 2003, 05:19 PM
i was resently at an auto show at the nassau colosseum, and they had an xlr there. and i was lucky because they were only letting a handfull of people sit in it and i was one of them and i have to say it is one of the greatest cars i have ever sat in. but the fake plastic wood was a turn off but the whole car is just amazing looking, the engine looks really nice in the car, and the material in on the seats is like a really nice suede/leather :lol: if i had the money id buy it. also what was wierd was they a new gto there that i sat in but the shifter was missing and the pontiac sign was ripped off and i asked the guy what happend and he said some people at another auto show stole them ( i dont know how but hey did)..but anyway the point is that the speedometer goes up to 260mph on the gto. i really dought it goes that fast, im mean the 2003 corvettes speedometer only goes up to like 220...id like to find out more about this 260mph :blink:
That's real eucalyptus wood trim in the XLR. All other Cadillacs have real honest-to-goodness zebrano wood trim.

As far as I know, the only Cadillac with fake wood trim is the base DeVille.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Nov 1 2003, 08:49 PM

That's real eucalyptus wood trim in the XLR. All other Cadillacs have real honest-to-goodness zebrano wood trim.

I thought all Devilles (D-series) had zebrano wood... base all the way to DTS. THey only differed in engine and suspension. <_<

And yes... XLR uses Eucalyptus.
ANyone know what wood is used in SRX?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by mgescuro+Nov 3 2003, 05:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Nov 3 2003, 05:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-coolcaddy@Nov 1 2003, 08:49 PM

I thought all Devilles (D-series) had zebrano wood... base all the way to DTS. THey only differed in engine and suspension. <_<

And yes... XLR uses Eucalyptus.
ANyone know what wood is used in SRX?[/b][/quote]
Things may have changed since I last asked someone who know, but at that time (about a year ago), the word was that the base DeVille has the fake stuff.

I'm pretty sure the SRX is zebrano also, and that zebrano is the only type of wood trim Cadillac uses outside of the XLR. If someone knows otherwise, please enlighten me--I'm not totally sure.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Nov 3 2003, 05:14 PM

Things may have changed since I last asked someone who know, but at that time (about a year ago), the word was that the base DeVille has the fake stuff.

I'm pretty sure the SRX is zebrano also, and that zebrano is the only type of wood trim Cadillac uses outside of the XLR. If someone knows otherwise, please enlighten me--I'm not totally sure.
Well, I checked on cadillac.com.
SRX uses burled walnut on door handles, shifter. But nothing about the dash itself. hmmm <_< Unless I missed something.

Deville just says "wood." But I know it's based on Seville's interior, which is Zebrano wood. :blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts