GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Could we still get a three-tier Corvette sub-division?
Corvette Zora: Mid-engine
Corvette Stingray: Front-engine
Corvette Manta Ray: Miata type entry level (a cousin to the possible Opel GT concept)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
No smallblock V8, no care.
Yup. I just don't get this sudden infatuation with putting a TTV6 in every sports or performance car from GM. If there is one area GM has its shlt together, it is with the small block V8. Who cares if Ford is using a V6 in the GT or F-150 or possibly the Mustang or if the TTV6 makes the ATS-V more BMWesque. If this is a Corvette then it should have a V8 based power plant, if this is a Cadillac, it should have a V8 based power plant.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Could we still get a three-tier Corvette sub-division?
Corvette Zora: Mid-engine
Corvette Stingray: Front-engine
Corvette Manta Ray: Miata type entry level (a cousin to the possible Opel GT concept)
A manta ray is bigger than a stingray so I think it would be the top dog base nameplate. Zora could just be the higher performance Manta Ray like the Z06

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup. I just don't get this sudden infatuation with putting a TTV6 in every sports or performance car from GM. If there is one area GM has its shlt together, it is with the small block V8. Who cares if Ford is using a V6 in the GT or F-150 or possibly the Mustang or if the TTV6 makes the ATS-V more BMWesque. If this is a Corvette then it should have a V8 based power plant, if this is a Cadillac, it should have a V8 based power plant.
Right, especially concerning Cadillac. With the V8 becoming a luxury item, GM has no reason to throw it away like Ford. Never go full Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Pricing for the car will mirror Ford’s lineup for the GT, which means that the mid-engine Corvette will cost around $400,000.
I 'm not sure how many people are willing to pay 400 000$ for Corvette. Or Cadillac. At least Corvette has credentials in big races (not as overall winner but still best in its class)...but Cadillac..

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Yep and people who buy 100k+ cars don't care about mpg or taxes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yep and people who buy 100k+ cars don't care about mpg or taxes.
I will go a bit further than yello430 on this one. If your idea of people who buy $100k+ cars are lottery winners, rock stars, and 20-year-old professional athletes, then you might have a point. But the truly rich did get to be truly rich and they haven't remained truly rich by wasting money.

·
Registered
121 Posts
About the only thing I know is something seems different this time regarding a mid-engine Corvette/Cadillac. Like a lot of you I know that the mid-engine rumors have been around in one form or another since the 60s. However, the rumors were generally timed around the time that a new Corvette platform was in the works, which means the rumors could span years apart. However, this time the mid-engine rumors seem to be happening much more frequently within the last couple of years. Adding to the mix is GMs recent $790 ($490 + $290) investment into the Bowling Green facility. Now it could be the fabled mid-engine Corvette, or it could be an up-market mid-engine Cadillac, but regardless, I can't help thinking that this time there is some substance to the mid-engine rumors.

That, and I think there must be a few GM honcho's that would like to compete toe to toe w/the competition. Unlike others, I don't think the "best band for the buck" is a compliment to the Corvette as much as I think it's a back handed compliment. Something along the lines of; You have a really gorgeous face, too bad about that fat ass...

Ford GT
Audi R8
Ferrari 488
Lamborghini Aventador
Lamborghini Huracan
McLaren 650S
Porsche Cayman
Porsche 911
Porsche 918
Honda NSX
Lotus Evora
Alpha Romeo 4C

Corvette Zora/Cadillac Cien?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I will go a bit further than yello430 on this one. If your idea of people who buy $100k+ cars are lottery winners, rock stars, and 20-year-old professional athletes, then you might have a point. But the truly rich did get to be truly rich and they haven't remained truly rich by wasting money.
They gonna pass on a $100K+ sports car because it "might" get 1-2 MPG less? Non of those cars are willing any green car awards. Every actually looked at the MPG rating of those types of cars?

The EPAs lest efficient cars list is like a who's who list of Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Maserati and Rolls.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I did not say that and I do not need you telling me what to think.

I could have been more specific I suppose. But people who are shopping cars like this, at those prices do not car about MPG.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The truly rich who are buying over a $100K car and are as financially astute as you say, are going to have that car be a far, far smaller portion of their annual income then say, the middle class guy spoiling himself with a 3 or C-Class (who would probably lease anyway).

Put it this way, guy making 100k salary buys 50K 335i. Someone rich and financially astute buying a 100K Porsche is likely making well more than 200K. He's not going to care about a mpg penalty.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hope to be able to make a mid-engine Vette my next sports car purchase. I could swing about $120K max however an feel comfortable about it.

·
Registered
18,188 Posts
Also, as far as MPG, these cars will MAYBE see 3-5k miles a year. That amounts to nothing gas usage wise. A few extra MPG wont sway a person one way or another.

·
Registered
951 Posts
About the only thing I know is something seems different this time regarding a mid-engine Corvette/Cadillac. Like a lot of you I know that the mid-engine rumors have been around in one form or another since the 60s. However, the rumors were generally timed around the time that a new Corvette platform was in the works, which means the rumors could span years apart. However, this time the mid-engine rumors seem to be happening much more frequently within the last couple of years. Adding to the mix is GMs recent $790 ($490 + $290) investment into the Bowling Green facility. Now it could be the fabled mid-engine Corvette, or it could be an up-market mid-engine Cadillac, but regardless, I can't help thinking that this time there is some substance to the mid-engine rumors.

That, and I think there must be a few GM honcho's that would like to compete toe to toe w/the competition. Unlike others, I don't think the "best band for the buck" is a compliment to the Corvette as much as I think it's a back handed compliment. Something along the lines of; You have a really gorgeous face, too bad about that fat ass...

Ford GT
Audi R8
Ferrari 488
Lamborghini Aventador
Lamborghini Huracan
McLaren 650S
Porsche Cayman
Porsche 911
Porsche 918
Honda NSX
Lotus Evora
Alpha Romeo 4C

Corvette Zora/Cadillac Cien?
Here is the problem with that list, with the exception of the Ford GT (which isn't out yet) and maybe the Ferrari 488 plus Porsche 918 the C7 Z06 smokes them all on a race track. Also the Porsche 911 is a rear engine car and not a rear mid engine car like the others on your list......

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Such a vehicle (if produced) only makes sense as a Cadillac halo vehicle.

Mid-engine is not Corvette, it's not Chevrolet. It would only muddy the Corvette brand which has the absolutely most pure mission and execution of any US make and model. and that's been carefully curated over decades; ohv V8, front engine, rear wheel propulsion, unmistakeable visual identification at a distance, regardless of year/decade produced, at an attainable price for the average working guy with a modicum of career success. It's not a true exotic, nor should it be. The heritage is very blue collar, and there's nothing wrong with that.

(On a personal note, I think the C7 tail lights aren't horrible, but I think quad round tail lights should have been preserved.)

Cadillac on the other hand really needs a glass ceiling shattering vehicle of this sort. Cien? Bring it.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts