GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember reading that the GTO will not come to canada, and i figured that the person who said that was wrong, so i emailed GMcanada. i stand corrected:

Mr. xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail.

We regret to inform you that the Pontiac GTO will not be available to
Canadian
customers.

Safety and emissions standards, as defined by Transport Canada, are
presently
not met for the mobilization of the Pontiac GTO in the Canadian market.

The 2004 Pontiac GTO will begin production in September 2004, and it
will
be
marketed in the states of Texas, California and Florida.

We currently do not have any information on a Pontiac Pursuit.

Thank you for your interest and your inquiry.  Please visit our website
again!

Cindy Elliott
Internet Correspondent
www.gmcanada.com
i can't remember what exactly i asked them, but it took them close to two week to reply. :microwave: anyway, what the hell do they mean by, "marketed to the states of texas, california and florida"?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
It means that becasue it is an extremely powerful RWD car, they are only going to advertise it in their biggest markets that DON'T GET SNOW. That would be Florida, Texas and California.

You'll be able to buy it in the other 47 states, but they aren't going to do much advertising there.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Oct 20 2003, 01:23 PM
It means that becasue it is an extremely powerful RWD car, they are only going to advertise it in their biggest markets that DON'T GET SNOW.  That would be Florida, Texas and California.

You'll be able to buy it in the other 47 states, but they aren't going to do much advertising there.
Sounds like another Camaro/Firebird deal :mf_boff:

Sure market it in states where (A) Texas: where everyone wants trucks as big as their hats (B) Florida: where a good percentage of the population is either in rentals or older than dirt and don't care what it is unless it's weigh 4tons or more, last,but not least we have California: Ricers,Sigh-on's,and German trash clogs up the roadways....

Times like this make me wanna :plasma: the whole damned world

·
Registered
237 Posts
I remember reading on some site or press release that the reason why the GTO wasn't coming to Canada because of it's bumpers. That the bumpers didn't past bumper regulations here in the great white north.

I guess that is no surpirse because there is no mentioning of the GTO on GMCanada.com, just the Solstice is mentioned for Concept models.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Oct 20 2003, 07:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Oct 20 2003, 07:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Oct 20 2003, 01:23 PM
It means that becasue it is an extremely powerful RWD car, they are only going to advertise it in their biggest markets that DON'T GET SNOW.  That would be Florida, Texas and California.

Sure market it in states where (A) Texas: where everyone wants trucks as big as their hats (B) Florida: where a good percentage of the population is either in rentals or older than dirt and don't care what it is unless it's weigh 4tons or more, last,but not least we have California: Ricers,Sigh-on's,and German trash clogs up the roadways....

Times like this make me wanna :plasma: the whole damned world [/b][/quote]
somone's a little jealous arn't they. I live in texas and can't stand big trucks..they arn't as bad as your stereotype makes it out to be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have no complaints since I live in California :afro: But advertising in those 3 states is gonna cover a good chunk of the population anyways (all 3 being in the top 5 most populated states I believe).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird+Oct 20 2003, 05:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nocturn_Bird @ Oct 20 2003, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2003, 07:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider
@Oct 20 2003, 01:23 PM

Times like this make me wanna :plasma: the whole damned world
somone's a little jealous arn't they. I live in texas and can't stand big trucks..they arn't as bad as your stereotype makes it out to be.[/b][/quote]
Yes Yes I am jealous :angry:

Jer-Z should be included in the "marketing" 2, I mean were packed in like China over here!!! I think 4 every 1 square foot of space there R 9 people living in it and 6 of them R FAT!.

Honestly though, I don't want 2 see our shot @ getting RWD (FINALLY) back in the mix end up like the F-twins.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It is funny but the age of a driver is proportional to the size of the car. How many times have you seen a giant Cadillac without a driver only to see some little old guy (or gal) stretching to see over the dash. I think that a smaller car that is easier to handle would be the best choice for our senior citizens. Small, elegant and very reliable (So, I should see more and more seniors running around in Toyotas and Honda Accords.).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Oct 21 2003, 10:14 AM
It is funny but the age of a driver is proportional to the size of the car. How many times have you seen a giant Cadillac without a driver only to see some little old guy  (or gal) stretching to see over the dash.  I think that a smaller car that is easier to handle would be the best choice for our senior citizens. Small, elegant and very reliable (So, I should see more and more seniors running around in Toyotas and Honda Accords.).
:lol: I'm with ya on that!...Have U noticed that rather "robust" people drive small cars?
and by small I mean as in Ford Fiesta/Geo Metro small?

*said in Hurricane voice* What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Oct 20 2003, 05:23 PM
It means that becasue it is an extremely powerful RWD car, they are only going to advertise it in their biggest markets that DON'T GET SNOW. That would be Florida, Texas and California.

I can't stop looking at your avatar :blink:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I read in motortrend that "production is limited to 18000 units for 04" can they really sell 18000 units in 3 States?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Marketing and sales are not the same. Marketing in three markets is not the same as selling in three markets. In other words for sale in the US and commercials in three states. I hope I am clear on my answer of how I understand GM is marketing and selling the GTO.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Oct 21 2003, 02:14 PM
I think that a smaller car that is easier to handle would be the best choice for our senior citizens. Small, elegant and very reliable (So, I should see more and more seniors running around in Toyotas and Honda Accords.).
Sometimes it's true... my grandmother, in her late 70s drives a Honda Civic...

:p

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Small and reliable. This was the basic concept of the Saturn. Elegant? Well, that is everybody's choice.
Too many accountants re-writing the mission statements.

·
Registered
750 Posts
sold in most states, just advertised in 3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts