GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, I got the LEMON!!!
Let me start out by saying, I have had the newest model corvette and silverado in my driveway for the last 10 years and have defended Chevy for 15.
I bought the 2014 Silverado LTZ 4WD Z51 in June of 2013. I flew in to get the first one available that had every bell and whistle option and drive it back to the state I was living in. As to avoid writing a book, let me say I am TICKED OFF about this truck and the customer service as followed to the point that I am going to eat 15 years of crow and trade it in on a non-Chevy product. AND, I am not buying the new Corvette due to my negative experience with the Silverado. Chevy is losing a LOT of money from this customer over a lifetime.

Repairs in order of frustration (not including recalls):
1. If you intend to pull anything (even a small jet ski), the E85 engine is not the way to go. From day 1 of owning this truck, as I slow from a freeway or to a stop sign when hauling ANYTHING (lawn mower, car, or boat), it is confused as to what gear it should be in. So, it revs up.... WAY HIGH!!!! Its annoying, embarrasing, and really a disgrace. Its what I imagine a prius to sound like if it was pulling something.
2. Right at 40,000 miles... there is a large lag in acceleration. When I step on the gas, there is a two second plus delay. As I travel extensively for work, it behaves as if I am driving one of those little golf cart like rental cars such as a toyota yaris. To get it to reverse, you have to really step on the gas and you get that little head jerk after the few second pause before the truck responds to what you ask it to do.
3. At 32,000 miles my AC went out. Really? I spend $50k on a truck and the AC went out? Even though it was the last thing before the warranty went out, its still a hassle. I lose $500+ to take off a few hours for a repair. I dont have time to run it to the dealer every two minutes.
4. At 45,000 miles (all my recalls are up to date), my check engine light has come on. So now, I get to rent ANOTHER car for repair number 9 (not included in the recalls) and take off work to go get another repair. As it is out of warranty, cant wait to see what this is going to cost me.
5. As I have owned all 4wd trucks, this one... you put it in 4wd and it makes a VERY LOUD WHINE noise. I took it to the dealer and they said thats the way they sound. This is BS. So, I dont use my 4 WD because its ridiculous.
6. The driver seat has broken twice. Its actually broken now, but what can I say... apparently there is a design flaw and I am tired of messing with it.
7. The safety driver package is awesome...when it works. My seats stopped vibrating for a year. Yea, it started working again after the recall. But now, it WONT vibrate. It will only beep even if you select the setting for vibrate. And I get an annoying pop up to say service my driver alert package now constantly as I drive. As I have now had this fixed THREE TIMES... I now just keep it off. Why? Because its too expensive for me to go to the dealer (have been to 4 different dealers on this issue) to get this bells and whistles fixed that just keep breaking.
8. Although they have performed the radio recall at two different dealers, my radio frequently does not recognize my iPOD or iPhone, or any device. As I have multiple devices to plug in to test... its not my devices with the problem. Ive interchanged chords, etc. It just randomly doesnt work. Bottom line. After I restart my truck 3+ times it will magically recognize my device.

Now lets get to the customer service. After filing a complaint, I have been 10,000 miles ago in discussions with Chevy about buy back programs and all sorts of non sense. I am fed up. Chevy had the opportunity to make things right and they did not. So, my plan this weekend is to go find a truck (any one than a Chevy) and trade it in after they fix my "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT." This is a shame as I think the Chevy truck is the best looking of them all and love the bells and whistles such as my sunroof. I also am refusing to buy the new Stingray. Instead Im going to choose between the Dodge Viper and the BMW i8. The point is, Chevy generally has $100k of products in my driveway plus a staunch advocate for their products. The purchase of a lemon coupled with the poor customer service means they will be loosing $1M over my purchasing life time in product. So... relay that message. In an effort to not make things right on a $50k truck, your going to lose $1M over my life time. Not to mention, I will forever and often tell people of my negative experience. Im so ticked... I even bought the domain... www.dontbuychevrolet.com and will build a nice account of my story once I get some "free time" and no doubt after I take a huge loss from trading in this truck.

And, buyer beware... dont buy one of the first of a new design. Mine is a complete dissapointment.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wow! I purchased a 2014 Corvette in Oct., 2013 and a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT double cab in June 2014, I have none of the problems you indicated with my truck so far. My Corvette has had some software upgrades, but other then that it has been fine. My partial VIN on my truck is 347070 so apparently they have got the bugs worked out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2013 Corvette was fine. I am afraid to purchase the redesign (2014/2015). I had a 2006 Corvette as well and I had to replace many of the headlights due to salt water wear, but other than that it was an excellent vehicle. Ive had zero complaints on any of my trucks or corvettes. In fact, I didnt purchase the "extended warranty" because I have never needed it for any of my silverados or my corvettes. I hear the GMC is a better product than the Silverado. I should have purchased it :)

I think I am equally unhappy with the truck as I am the customer service. As much money as I spend with GMC I thought they would try to make my lemon truck situation right. But, they are rude, in no rush, and really unhelpful all together. I am dissapointed in the brand that I have championed for 15 years. I certainly dont feel like a valued customer to get brushed off.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just came off of 4 vehicles, all from other brands than GM. All I can say is, It is nice to be back at GM! You really think that other brands are perfect with no unscheduled maintenance needed? Good Grief man.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Sell or trade it in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts