GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of searching I finally found a new truck that met my criteria - Sierra AT4 with the 6.2L. I had been tracking "In Transit" trucks on GMC's website daily and saw that this one finally landed at my local dealership Saturday morning. I called as soon as they opened and they said it actually came in the afternoon before and was still available. My salesman wasn't in yet (9:15 am), so I spoke with the manager to see if he'd hold it for me. He kindly said nope - whoever shows up first gets first dibs. He said I was the second person to call. So I grabbed my checkbook and rushed on over. I got there right around 10 and asked the manager if it was still available. He asked one of the salesmen where the keys were and he took them out of his pocket. The salesperson said his guy was on the way to get the truck. The manager said, "Well, this guy is here now. Hand him the keys." The other guy was waiting at the dealership after my test drive, but I obviously got the truck. A second person showed up about an hour later asking about the same truck when I was filling out paperwork. So I got pretty lucky with timing.

It's pretty well built out and has everything I was looking for - 6.2L, Technology package, Driver Safety Packages I & II, Sun Roof, 20" wheels. It also came with the Performance Exhaust option. I didn't really want that as I prefer a quieter ride, but I wasn't going pass because of it. It sounds pretty nice actually and isn't very noticeable when just cruising. The only thing I probably need to add is a side step because the AT4 has a 2" lift over the standard trucks and it's a little difficult getting into. My wife and kids noticed that challenge right away.

The build date for this truck is shown as 2/2021, so it has obviously been sitting around in a lot someplace for six months waiting on chips. It doesn't have any deletes like all of the newer trucks. I was hoping that it wouldn't have the Auto Start/Stop, but it does. Same with DFM. But the good news is that I also got the HD surround cameras, HUD, wireless charging, and heated rear seats. Newer trucks aren't coming with those options.

The sticker was $67k. There was luckily $3k worth of rebates from GM. The dealership wouldn't honor GM Supplier or Employee pricing, so $64k was the sales price. They gave me $26k for my 2015 Denali with 86k miles. It was in fair shape, so that was a fair offer. I only put another $10k down because I was able to get 2.9% loan for 84 months. I'll pay it off much sooner than that.

First impression is that it's everything I was hoping for. The ride is softer than I was expecting actually. Coming from the Denali I was worried about a rougher ride, but it's not. Of course the Denali had low profile 22" wheels and this has taller 20" wheels, so that probably helps. It's very roomy inside. More than enough room in the back seat. The kids are happy about the heated seats. It's also very tall as compared to the Denali. Nice view, but harder to see things. I'm using the cameras to get a feel for spacing. I wish there was a button to quickly access the camera system like in my mom's Audi. On the AT4 I have to switch into reverse or search through the menus to enable the cameras which isn't quick. Maybe there's an easy way that I haven't found yet?

The rearview mirror camera is a nice touch, but I'm not sure I want to use it all the time. It requires you to re-focus on the screen since it's 2D vs 3D when using the mirror. It makes a quick glance not as quick. I'll probably only use it occasionally. Wireless CarPlay is great. I never understood why your phone had to be plugged in to use it, now I don't.

The tailgate step is very handy, especially since this truck sits so high now. My kids push the buttons every time they walk by. Luckily my trailer hitch won't fit on the truck while in my garage like it did on my Denali, so I don't have to worry about denting my tailgate on it.

You only get 1 month of OnStar free. If you give them your credit card they'll give you an additional 2 months free. That's a joke. I told them no.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
:) :) Well good for you :) :). In these times and such an asinine market it takes moves like this I guess. That is a mighty sweet looking truck too. I just happened to be admiring one similar to it on the freeway today heading in to Mc D's for my weekly early morning breakfasts at work.(I'm up way before the chickens every day and stopping in there is a no go weekdays Tue through Fri.)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Congratulations!!! A gorgeous truck!!! You're going to love it!

P.S. If you end up hating the stop/start and DFM, there is a very easy solution. Get a Pulsar from Range Technology like I did. It plugs in and leaves no trace if you unplug it for warranty work.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Congrats!! Nice truck and sounds like you left a couple of jealous folks in your wake already at the dealer :D

The rearview mirror camera is a nice touch, but I'm not sure I want to use it all the time. It requires you to re-focus on the screen since it's 2D vs 3D when using the mirror. It makes a quick glance not as quick.
I occasionally keep the rear-view camera on in my car on during normal (forward) driving and find it taking a tad longer to focus on too. I wonder if it gets better if you got used to it as I know some people who do this all the time and seem to love it.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
152 Posts
The build date for this truck is shown as 2/2021, so it has obviously been sitting around in a lot someplace for six months waiting on chips. It doesn't have any deletes like all of the newer trucks. I was hoping that it wouldn't have the Auto Start/Stop, but it does. Same with DFM.
Congratulations on your new truck. I'm old school: I prefer sedans but I like the look of the AT4. It does look good in white and the red accents are perfects.

Take the time to get used to the stop-start function and cylinder deactivation. You could save one or two stops at the gas station per year and no longer notice these functions.

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Congratulations on your new truck. I'm old school: I prefer sedans but I like the look of the AT4. It does look good in white and the red accents are perfects.

Take the time to get used to the stop-start function and cylinder deactivation. You could save one or two stops at the gas station per year and no longer notice these functions.
I'm a car guy too, but some of the big trucks, particularly GMC, look really good. AT4, Denali and a few other trims really turn my head!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Great looking truck.................. Congratulations !!! Our local Chevy / Dodge / Jeep lot is almost empty. They have stretched the used cars all the way across, and it is a big dealership in a small town. Enjoy your new baby.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Congratulations on the New Truck.

It simply amazes me that in Todays World, we have Customers Fighting over vehicles. It is happening here too. But the truly Amazing fact is GM is offering $3000 in Incentives (in this environment), Ford offers 0.99/1.99% Financing and that's all (In Canada anyways) and people are still Lining Up.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Congrats, looks good. (y)

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations on the New Truck.

It simply amazes me that in Todays World, we have Customers Fighting over vehicles. It is happening here too. But the truly Amazing fact is GM is offering $3000 in Incentives (in this environment), Ford offers 0.99/1.99% Financing and that's all (In Canada anyways) and people are still Lining Up.
I was shocked by the $3000 as well. $250 was for financing through GM, $250 was for GM loyalty. I think $500 was a package discount, and the last $2000 was only on certain AT4s. Not all of them had it. It might have had something to do with the "age" of the vehicle (my guess). I don't know for sure, but only about half of the vehicles I was tracking had it.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations!!! A gorgeous truck!!! You're going to love it!

P.S. If you end up hating the stop/start and DFM, there is a very easy solution. Get a Pulsar from Range Technology like I did. It plugs in and leaves no trace if you unplug it for warranty work.
I've only noticed it shut off a couple of times since I've had it. It's still in the upper 90s here in North Texas, so the AC is still cranking hard. I'm going to try and live with it, but will go this route if I can't adapt.

Reactions: RamJet502

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can move the camera button over to the main screen just like your phone. Hold it down and move it where you want it.
Thanks. I did this based on your advice. Better, but still not as easy as I'd like.

I also found that I can sync at least two phone to my profile which is nice. So I can use both my personal and work phone over Bluetooth without having to drop and add the other phone.

Reactions: JimmyDiablo

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks pretty cool actually!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts