GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a thing for a Chevy Caprice with a 5.7 Lt-1 and heavy duty suspension. I figured by now there wasn't anymore left with low miles and no abuse but this guy here in San Diego got a couple of ex Sheriff patrol cars from Orange County and was selling them just to get rid of them. I got mine for only 1,500 bucks it's a 1996 and had only 85,000 miles on it! it was sitting for a while because it had a service sticker that said next service was due at 88,000 miles in 2004...
I plan on painting it all black and making it into an Impala clone..So far its been trouble free.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Awesome car! By brother had several, and they are popular with the G's too! ;)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I ordered a '96 Impala SS, was an active member of NAISSO, and modified the car a fair amount. Here are my suggestions:

On some items, you will need to see if teh parts are still available.

Install the radically more durable Cadillac carpet, with the seam under the front seats. The Chevy carpet would not last more than 15,000 miles on mine.

The plastic parts in the front seat tracks are junk and will cumble. A NAISSO member was making and selling high quality replacements.

The four-note horns from the Cadillac sound much better - just add the two Cadillac horns (one on each side) which are not on the Caprice/Impala.

Don't waste a ton of money on some brand name exhaust system. Just find a good shop which will bend a custom system with a crossover pipe to connect both sides.

The 4L60E transmission seems to be a weak link. Mine failed twice in 120,000 miles. Add a deep transmission pan with cooling fins, but beware of teh decreased ground clearance which will result.

Check for clubs and vendors which may still sell parts.

The real Impala SS instrument cluster has some resistors which go bad or develop loose connections. Most can simply be repaired.

The rear windows can fall out of the tracks - there are fixes for that problem, if you have it.

Be sure to keep the Dexcool coolant changed. Your car should haev the green silicone raditor and heater hoses - do not change them, as they are long life (and expensive) items.

I installed the Brembo Porsche front brakes on my car. If you haev the money (the kit was $3,000) and they are still available, I can recommend them. There are also other big brake kits.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Did they ever make a 9C1 wagon? At any rate for $1500!? Heeeck yea I would have hit that...congratulations on your purchase

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a '96 Impala SS, was an active member of NAISSO, and modified the car a fair amount. Here are my suggestions:

On some items, you will need to see if teh parts are still available.

Install the radically more durable Cadillac carpet, with the seam under the front seats. The Chevy carpet would not last more than 15,000 miles on mine.

The plastic parts in the front seat tracks are junk and will cumble. A NAISSO member was making and selling high quality replacements.

The four-note horns from the Cadillac sound much better - just add the two Cadillac horns (one on each side) which are not on the Caprice/Impala.

Don't waste a ton of money on some brand name exhaust system. Just find a good shop which will bend a custom system with a crossover pipe to connect both sides.

The 4L60E transmission seems to be a weak link. Mine failed twice in 120,000 miles. Add a deep transmission pan with cooling fins, but beware of teh decreased ground clearance which will result.

Check for clubs and vendors which may still sell parts.

The real Impala SS instrument cluster has some resistors which go bad or develop loose connections. Most can simply be repaired.

The rear windows can fall out of the tracks - there are fixes for that problem, if you have it.

Be sure to keep the Dexcool coolant changed. Your car should haev the green silicone raditor and heater hoses - do not change them, as they are long life (and expensive) items.

I installed the Brembo Porsche front brakes on my car. If you haev the money (the kit was $3,000) and they are still available, I can recommend them. There are also other big brake kits.

thanks everyone for showing the love...and thanks for all the info StephenMasek! Do you know of a good forum that covers both the Impala SS as well as the 9c1 and other B-bodys? I've allready came across some leather seats from a pontiac bonniville which will look really nice when I get the rest of the gray interior trim that I need. I'm also kinda aware of tranny failures and noticed mine seems to slip a bit at slow take offs from a stop..I might be needing a new one in the next couple thousand miles. fuel mileage is decent if I dont floor it and especially if I use mid grade chevron or higher:D

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Put some bull horns on the front and drive it like it is. :D

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Do you know of a good forum that covers both the Impala SS as well as the 9c1 and other B-bodys?
ImpalaSSForum.com

I've allready came across some leather seats from a pontiac bonniville which will look really nice when I get the rest of the gray interior trim that I need.
Those are worth gold to Impala guys. :D

I'm also kinda aware of tranny failures and noticed mine seems to slip a bit at slow take offs from a stop..I might be needing a new one in the next couple thousand miles.
If you get the transmission rebuilt have it done by someone that knows their 4L60s and will build you a heavier-duty unit with the usual performance mods. 4L60s are tough to get right and will fail pretty quickly if they aren't.

F14CRAZY said:
Did they ever make a 9C1 wagon?
That would be the 1A2 model. I actually bought one on eBay back in '03, but when I got all the way to Chicago to pick it up it had roof and hood cancer, so I backed out of the deal. :(

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'd put an Ecotec engine in it in order to compete with the future Camaro model. Nothing like staying ahead of the game.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
AHHH....CONGRATULATIONS, suburbanfoo!

People keep telling me that my winter beater should be one of these, but I prefer the boxier look of the 89/90 Caprice 9C1. Actually, I'd prefer a '77-'79 Caprice ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Every song, another scene" ... Dierks Bently ... 'Every Mile A Memory'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts