GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at Yahoo! Autos, and was shocked to see a few of the models still soldiering pn into MY 2005.

Which one surprises you most?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Try and trade someone out of a 2 dr Blazer after a year and see how much depreiation there is!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Actually , a friend of mine just bought a 2004 brand new 2 door Blazer, he liked the car and got a hell of deal out on the car, so who cares about the depreciation if you are going to keep the carfor 6 or 7 years and put more that 100,000 miles on the car, heres a hint, all car depreciate, if you want to put your money into something that will make you money, go buy a house.

The current Cavalier dates back to 1995,
Malibu Classic from 1997
Astro from 1985
2-door Blazer from 1996
Venture from 1997
The Suburban and Tahoe are only from 2000
The Impala is from 2000

It's not just GM or Chevrolet...

Alot of other manufacturers have cars that have been in production for a long time, and they keep the car around because the tooling is paid for and it's profitable....

The Acura RL has been around since 1996, and it's still for sale.

So has the.....

Acura NSX dates back to 1990, thats just 5 years younger than the Astro, and the Astro is not $90,000.
The Audi TT is going into it's 5th model year, the previous generation 7 series ran from 1995 through 2001, thats 6 years. The Z3 ran from 1996 through 2002, thats 6 years too, the current Land Rover Discovery pre-dates the 2 door Blazer to the market by 2 years, it has been on sale since 1994, Land Rover also sold the Range Rover in the US that dated back to 1970, through 1994. The Crown Victoria has been around in it's current shape, with some minor updates, since 1992, thats 13 years kids. The Mercedes SLK dates back to 1997, same as the Venture, so does the Porsche Boxster, it dates back to 1997. 2005 will celebrate the Toyota Echos 6 year on the market. 2005 will also be the 9th model year for the $70,000 Jaguar XK8, The previous generation XJ sedans were based on a platform that dated back to 1989, they just eneded their production run in 2003, and the cars still look dated, even when they are all new. Remember the Mitsubishi Diamante? That "floater "has been stinking up the US market since 1992. The previous generation 4-Runner was on the market for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dad works for GM Assembly in Linden NJ where they manufacture the Blazer. They have a contract until 2005 so they will be building for one more year at least. Hopefully they will get a new product after that!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by SHUJeremy@Jul 10 2004, 11:40 PM
My dad works for GM Assembly in Linden NJ where they manufacture the Blazer. They have a contract until 2005 so they will be building for one more year at least. Hopefully they will get a new product after that!
ah yes, the linden plant! I hope that GM makes the Camaro there...it would be nice just to take a 40 min ride up north and pick up my car, hot off the press! :D

doubt its going to happen, but its a RWD factory, and im sure they can covert it to Zeta.

2dr blazers are good for LS1/6/2 swaps. :D

I vote Malibu. The new one is just soo damn cool, and the old one doesnt hold a candle to the new one. Maxx especialy.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Where is the "All of the Above" poll option? :lol: I don't understand why they are still making any of those vehicles! If anything they should keep making the Cavalier, as a FLEET ONLY car. That way they can keep theCobalt from having the fleet car image.

It also would not be bad to keep the Venture as a FLEET ONLY. Although fleet sales may be the only source for sales for the Uplander :lol:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jul 11 2004, 01:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jul 11 2004, 01:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SHUJeremy@Jul 10 2004, 11:40 PM
ah yes, the linden plant! I hope that GM makes the Camaro there...it would be nice just to take a 40 min ride up north and pick up my car, hot off the press! :D

doubt its going to happen, but its a RWD factory, and im sure they can covert it to Zeta.

2dr blazers are good for LS1/6/2 swaps. :D

I vote Malibu. The new one is just soo damn cool, and the old one doesnt hold a candle to the new one. Maxx especialy. [/b][/quote]
yes the camaro would be nice :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would like GM to keep the Astro and Blazer. I still think there good, what other Mid-size van can do burn-outs and tow a whole lot. The Blazer is still popular among those that love to customize. The ZR-2 and the Xtreme Blazers still look cool. Maybe this only affects people like me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't understand the angst against the Astro either....It is kind of cool for a minivan. It has more power, towing, and capacity. They can be had for a great price with rebates and incentives, and who really cares if the interior is dated? You can't get anything like it for any price, and guess what...it comes equipped with windows for you to look out when you tire of looking at the dashboard you hate so much!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jul 11 2004, 02:52 AM
I don't understand the angst against the Astro either....It is kind of cool for a minivan. It has more power, towing, and capacity. They can be had for a great price with rebates and incentives, and who really cares if the interior is dated? You can't get anything like it for any price, and guess what...it comes equipped with windows for you to look out when you tire of looking at the dashboard you hate so much!
See that is the point. The interior is one of the major problems with the Astro! I am sure there are still some buyers of it out there, but the fact is that a "half-good" van just does not cut it in today's market.

I am not trying to be negative about the Astro, its just that today people have gotten use to having a van that is good in all segments, and that has happened in all markets.

Lets say GM still has the last-generation Malibu to compete with the Camry, would it sell very well? No. Its the same with the Astro.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cut the Astro's price in half and we're talkin'. The one on my local dealer's lot stickers for nearly 30,000 with "luxuries" that come standard in any KIA.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jul 11 2004, 06:32 AM
Cut the Astro's price in half and we're talkin'. The one on my local dealer's lot stickers for nearly 30,000 with "luxuries" that come standard in any KIA.
I have not seen an Astro at any dealer within a 100 mile radius of my town in years :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's another thing. :p Where is the need for them in the first place? And if you want a cargo van, pay 1000 more and you get a full-size Express/Savana! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Price is a legitimate gripe, but come off the interior already. It's not for trendy soccer-moms with interior design degrees. It's for hauling people and your trailer at the same time. See earlier comment, GM will equip it with windows if you prefer. I agree with cutting the price down a bunch though. 30K for this thing is overpriced.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jul 11 2004, 03:05 PM
Price is a legitimate gripe, but come off the interior already. It's not for trendy soccer-moms with interior design degrees. It's for hauling people and your trailer at the same time. See earlier comment, GM will equip it with windows if you prefer. I agree with cutting the price down a bunch though. 30K for this thing is overpriced.
Back when the Astro was new, the interior was fine. But it is NO DIFFERENT than anyother vehicle. It needs to be updated on ALL fronts, including interior. Not too many people will pay for a vehicle if the interior is crap!

·
Registered
819 Posts
The should have made a new cavalier instead of the Aveo or at least updated the current one. Does anybody like the Aveo? I don't. Chevy doesn't need Korean Cars.(Except maybe the Epica).

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Um. Why is everyone saying the Astro is good for towing?? They have HORRIBLE brakes, V-6's, vague steering...I mean, that thing is ancient. I wasn't even in school yet when that hit the market. Some people on here weren't even born. The truck doesn't seem to excel in any area. GM has yet to produce a knock-out minivan.

I think the Express/Savanna are good trucks. I rent them all the time. The brakes could be better. But all in all it's a good van. Don't see why they can't drop the Astro and make a more civilized version of the Express.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts