GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
The news came courtesy of John Krafcik, Hyundai's product development veep, who told Automotive News that the 2008 model year of the Tiburon would be its last. However, that doesn't mean the Tiburon is down for the count. Krafcik is insistent that the Genesis Coupe, which will be coming out about the same time the Tibby is euthanized, isn't a Tiburon replacement.

Read more...

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
It was a sharp little car there.......too bad it never had a good powertrain combo though......

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
There's a Genesis Owners' forum already? This is getting out of hand. VoltOwners.com will likely be launched next month.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It sucks to hear that, the Tiburon was the only car that was worth anything that Hyundai ever made imo. They've never had/have any other car I'd consider even looking at.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
it was only a matter of time. i think one thing Hyundai's going to have to do in order to shed their old image is get rid of their old nameplates. the Tiburon, for me, still conjures up images of the first generation car that was pushing 140hp and had so-so styling at best.

besides, how much of a market is there for this type of car? the Celica died several years ago, Acura killed the RSX, and the Eclipse has really become too big and fat to really compete in the segment. it seems the small coupe segment is moving more towards the lines of the sedan based coupes like the Cobalt and Civic. they seem to offer the performance of the more sporty styled cars, but with more utility.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Big surprise! ;) There's too much overlap with the Genesis Coupe to justify it's continued existence.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Big surprise! ;) There's too much overlap with the Genesis Coupe to justify it's continued existence.
The Genesis is much bigger, RWD and comes with a Turbo4 or 300hp V6. The Tiburon is much smaller, FWD and comes with an economy based 4 cylinder. I see no overlap what so ever. If the G6 was RWD and only had a turbo ecotec or 3.6 D.I. available would it overlap with the G5?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
The Genesis is much bigger, RWD and comes with a Turbo4 or 300hp V6. The Tiburon is much smaller, FWD and comes with an economy based 4 cylinder. I see no overlap what so ever. If the G6 was RWD and only had a turbo ecotec or 3.6 D.I. available would it overlap with the G5?
The Tiburon also has a V6 option.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
it is the same as a tC but with worse styling. The powertrain was underwhelming as was all of the suspension components. One of my high school friends had one back in 2005 ... and he complained about how crappy it was all the time.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
You mean the same boat anchor from the Sonata?
The same boat anchor from the 2004 Sonata and previous.

The 2004 Sonata, and the current Tiburon, have a 172 horsepower 2.7 liter V6.
There was no 2005 Sonata. The 2006 to 2008 Sonata had a 234 horsepower 3.3 liter V6 that track tested at 6.9 seconds 0-60 in some magazine tests.
The 2009 Sonata gets an updated version of the 3.3 rated at 249 horsepower.

No hot rod, but no longer a boat anchor either.

Now, even 249 horsepower may not be enough for the future Tiburon top trim level, unless it's very cheap. With 260 horsepower and gobs of torque from a Cobalt SS turbo or Mazdaspeed 3, 249 isn't that competitive.

·
Registered
962 Posts
saw the coupe at the NYS--looks sharp save for the incredibly cheap looking grill! Hope they address that before production. Although a sharp looking coupe, it doesn't break any mold.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Good riddance. It's about time they kill the shark. Shark meat anyone? :D

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
it was only a matter of time. i think one thing Hyundai's going to have to do in order to shed their old image is get rid of their old nameplates. the Tiburon, for me, still conjures up images of the first generation car that was pushing 140hp and had so-so styling at best.

besides, how much of a market is there for this type of car? the Celica died several years ago, Acura killed the RSX, and the Eclipse has really become too big and fat to really compete in the segment. it seems the small coupe segment is moving more towards the lines of the sedan based coupes like the Cobalt and Civic. they seem to offer the performance of the more sporty styled cars, but with more utility.
I'm surprised that the word Tiburon doesn't conjur up images of this pig:

-Chase

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I actually think that the second-gen Tiburon is a very attractive car. Not sure if it was succesful or not... I recall hearing that it had VERY high insurance rates. I always thought it looked like a baby 456GT. I didn't like the first gen but I'd own a second-gen no problem. I see this as being different enough from the Genesis coupe to deserve to live on... I hope that if they do introduce it again at a later date that they don't just do a two-door Elantra.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts