GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
plus
rear view camera
automatic window defogger (senses humidity levels in the air)
rain-sensing wipers
bluetooth
iPod input jack
XM NavTraffic
30 GB media storage drive
HID lights
pushbotton start
proximity key (as long as you approach the car with your key on your person, the door will unlock when you touch it)
active rear head restraints and all of the other safety features

It's also pretty light for its size at 3700, 3800, or 4000 pounds depending upon which engine you select.

For a driving enthusiast, I think the Pontiac G8 GT is going to be the clear favorite. (Hyundai has said that the Genesis V8 will manage 0-60 in under 6 seconds. But the G8 GT is pretty consistently delivering a 5.3 or 5.4 second 0-60 time. I would be really surprised if the Genesis V8 matches that, and even if it does, the G8 GT will be substantially cheaper.) But for luxury with reasonable performance, this car could do well. I'll be curious to see what the base price model costs, and how it compares to the G8 V6.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I highly doubt the Genesis will be a success on its first year. Not many Americans will fork over 30-40K for a Hyundai. The name that was once synonomys(sp?) for a easily breakable, un-reliable, ugly looking cheap Asian appliance car that was a laughing stock of so many talk shows, medias and general public.

The question here is: Will you pay $40,000 for a Hyundai V8? I don't think so.

Especially when the Azera, which is priced at around $26,000 or so isn't doing so well.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
As i have been saying. Be worried about Hyundai.
Oh yeah... if Hyundai were smart they'd advertise the Azera and Genesis against the Lacrosse and Lucerne... pick off the easy target first. I want Buick to do well, but how can they compete with this?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You are forgetting one thing. The loyal domastic fans. American Sedan buyers. Many of them still prefer to buy American Muscle, American Luxury rather than an import, especially when the US economy is this bad these days. Myself included, I would rather spend my money on the big American sedan(though I am Korean, I am a fan of big American cars) rather than an un-proven so called Luxury sport sedan from the formerly known cheap car maker. V8 engine is an absolute first for a Hyundai, so you never know if it will be any good. The V6, I prefer American as well. I am sure I am not the only one, but I prefer Buicks and Cadillacs over any Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
You are forgetting one thing. The loyal domastic fans. American Sedan buyers. Many of them still prefer to buy American Muscle, American Luxury rather than an import, especially when the US economy is this bad these days. Myself included, I would rather spend my money on the big American sedan(though I am Korean, I am a fan of big American cars) rather than an un-proven so called Luxury sport sedan from the formerly known cheap car maker. V8 engine is an absolute first for a Hyundai, so you never know if it will be any good. The V6, I prefer American as well. I am sure I am not the only one, but I prefer Buicks and Cadillacs over any Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai.
50 years ago ALL Americans were loyal domestic fans. You're right... there is a hardcore bunch that will only buy domestics... but if Toyota can convince 400,000+ people per year to buy a Camry instead of a Malibu or Fusion, I think that Hyundai will be able to convince more than a few to steer away from the tired Buick sedans with this thing. Buick could very well do a very competitive sedan if they do it in the same vein as the Enclave... but that car isn't out, and won't be anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I sat in one at the auto show. GM better do something fast. This car was solid and everything in it felt good and I couldn't say a bad thing about it. Hyundai is going to rape the market with these. I think they will be that good.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Funny, at the NY show, they only had one, on the turning display and had nothing on the floor for the people to sample.

Well, I am not a fan of this so....

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I highly doubt the Genesis will be a success on its first year.
I don't know that it will be a success either. But it's sure a damn good try. You have to give Hyundai credit for giving it their best shot at their first RWD fullsize sedan in the US.

Not many Americans will fork over 30-40K for a Hyundai. The name that was once synonomys(sp?) for a easily breakable, un-reliable, ugly looking cheap Asian appliance car that was a laughing stock of so many talk shows, medias and general public.

The question here is: Will you pay $40,000 for a Hyundai V8? I don't think so.
(It's "synonymous", not that it matters.)

Remember, a few years ago most American luxury car buyers would have laughed at buying a $40,000 Cadillac. 30 years ago, they would have laughed at the idea of a $40,000 Toyota, too.

Hyundai is positioning it as a luxury car. The set of luxury features is impressive, and so is the engine. If they shoved a mediocre V8 into the Sonata and put a $40,000 tag on the hood, then it would be a joke.

Especially when the Azera, which is priced at around $26,000 or so isn't doing so well.
That puzzles me, because the Azera is a genuinely nice car. The biggest drawback is the styling - and of course, to many people that really matters.

On the other hand, the Genesis is larger, more spacious, more powerful, better looking (but still not good looking) and has a lot more features.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Price and image matter. It's why VW couldn't sell Phaetons. You think "VW" and you think "cheap transport". You think "Hyundai" and most people think "cheap transport". It's going to take years for people to accept an expensive Hyundai. They'd be smarter to start a whole new brand: Genesis. It'd do better, but then they'd have to factor in the cost of the whole new dealer network.

That said, it will get customers who want some luxury but don't want to fork over the bucks. It could eat into Buick but it could also eat into Lincoln, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
That said, it will get customers who want some luxury but don't want to fork over the bucks. It could eat into Buick but it could also eat into Lincoln, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti.
It will also get customers who want some performance and want a "cheap" 32V V8... It will take a few years but once/if the Northstar dies this car will KILL Buick, if they plop that engine in a coupe it will KILL Pontiac and could even wound the new Camaro.

The real victim here will be a Cadillac Division without a 32V V8... or potentially ANY V8

I remember going to a car show almost 20 years ago looking a Lexus and Infinity and thinking who would spend that kinda coin for a POS Japanese car... Unlike Bob and Rick, I learn from my mistakes... This time I'm scared... very scared, I hope someone inside GM is scared too.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Price and image matter. It's why VW couldn't sell Phaetons. You think "VW" and you think "cheap transport". You think "Hyundai" and most people think "cheap transport". It's going to take years for people to accept an expensive Hyundai.
I agree to the general principals you're stating.

But consider the specifics between these two cars.
The Phaeton cost at least $20,000 more than we can expect an equivalent options Genesis to cost. It also weighed 5200 pounds to the Genesis' 3700-4000. The Phaeton's V8 made 335 horsepower on premium compared to the Genesis' 368 on regular. The Genesis also has the same amount of cabin space and a larger trunk. And while the Phaeton's list of luxury features is impressive, as far as I can tell the Genesis has every single one except the automatic load leveling suspension, plus a few extra of its own.

Also, I would say that Hyundai currently has a better reputation for reliability than Volkswagen.

Really, though, I think price is the big difference. Volkswagen's previous top Passat, the W8 could be optioned closed to $40,000 and it didn't sell that well. The Phaeton wasn't an evolutionary move forward from that, it was a $25,000 jump.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, it has already been confirmed that the coupe simply have no room to take in that V8, so GM don't have to have to worry about it. As for Lexus, and Cadillac, I know they have set fans of their cars who will NEVER shop other brands. The loyal fans of Lexus, Infinity, and Cadillac, not sure about Buick, are so attached to their favorite brand, and it will be very tough to shift their shopping list away from their favorite brand, especially an up and comming new model from the company who built stuffs that were once considerred Piece of crap. It will take at least another decade in order for Hyundai and Kia to reach where Japanese are now(They are close in quality, but in public conception and preference, they are just not there yet). There are just still too many enemies against Hyundai's and Kia's in terms of preference. Just look at the resale value. Korean cars are among the WORST, and it will not improve right away. That's why the history of their quality is so important. They really screwed up big in the beginning and that is hurting them. No matter how good their cars are now, it will still take them time for EVERYONE to respect them as the quality products. GM, Ford, and Japanese need not worry, at least not yet. That's how I see it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
As for Lexus, and Cadillac, I know they have set fans of their cars who will NEVER shop other brands.
What are the demographics for these loyal customers that wont consider other brands? I don't know about Lexus, but I'm willing to bet most of these loyal Cadillac customers are retired, and are a dying breed. Those are not the customers Hyundai is going after, it seems to me that Hyundai is going after younger people just starting their careers, who instead of getting into a 3-series Bimmer, or a Lexus IS would rather go for the much larger and more luxurious Genesis for roughly the same price.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
What are the demographics for these loyal customers that wont consider other brands? I don't know about Lexus, but I'm willing to bet most of these loyal Cadillac customers are retired, and are a dying breed. Those are not the customers Hyundai is going after, it seems to me that Hyundai is going after younger people just starting their careers, who instead of getting into a 3-series Bimmer, or a Lexus IS would rather go for the much larger and more luxurious Genesis for roughly the same price.
Except anyone who is over 25 knows that Hyundai was/is crappy cars.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Demographics? I'm 42, I have an MBA and I'm the CIO for a large engineering firm... The house is paid for and I make a very comfortable 6 figures. Why is GM turning its back on me? I love my Caddy... I will be buying a new car in 2-3 years... No 32V V8 means that I will be shopping (for the first time) somewhere else. My wife loves the LS... My parents (late 60 and early 70) Left GM in 2005 and now drive a Lexus.. they will be buying a new IS in 2009

The nose of the genesis is UGLY even if it proves to be a "good" car its probably not on my (or my parents) list... The problem is that nothing that GM makes will probably on my list either :(

If GM sold the SLS here, that car probably would be on the list... if it had a nice NEW DI 32V V8 I probably would be buying one a year early.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.