GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hymotion launching Prius plug-in conversion kits

Hymotion, the company that has been developing a plug-in kit for the Prius, has now started taking deposits for the L5 conversion kit. The kit costs $9,995 plus $400 for shipping and, of course, any applicable taxes. That price includes installation at an approved shop and a three year warranty. The first deliveries and installations should start this July.

The kit consists of a 5kWh battery pack filled with A123 lithium ion cells that fits into any second-generation (2004-2008) Prius. The pack can be fully charged in 4.5 hours at 110V and Hymotion claims a converted Prius will get up to 100mpg for 30-40 miles. Your mileage will of course vary. The pack has been crash tested and meets all current federal safety standards. Hymotion was bought up by A123 last year after doing a number of conversions for fleets and government testing.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Sounds pretty nice. I think it could be fairly popular even with the high costs. This will push Prius prices far north of $30k and will give a good indication of how well a Volt might sell. The Volt will have much better all electric capabilities so it should only do better. Hopefully these batteries perform well which would also be a good sign of how well the Volt batteries will do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can buy a lot of gas for $9995.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Yep. :yup:

I am guessing the people that will be buying these aren't the ones that are truly hurting at the pump. Only hurting in their minds.
Or they are financialy stable enough that reducing their personal demand for foreign oil is more important than saving money.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Or they are financialy stable enough that reducing their personal demand for foreign oil is more important than saving money.
And I am all for that, but I guarantee you that won't be the reason these are bought. Environment and fuel cost will be the main reasons.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am guessing the people that will be buying these aren't the ones that are truly hurting at the pump. Only hurting in their minds.
Why on earth do you think people who would rather spend $9,995 on American engineered and made batteries rather than OPEC oil have mental problems?

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
And I am all for that, but I guarantee you that won't be the reason these are bought. Environment and fuel cost will be the main reasons.
I would even go one step farther and say most of them will be bought by people thinking they are saving money. Everyone wants to complain about fuel costs and act like they really care about the environment but the buttom line for 99% of the people is they want to save money.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Why on earth do you think people who would rather spend $9,995 on American engineered and made batteries rather than OPEC oil have mental problems?
I agree, this doesn't mean they have mental problems. People don't buy iPhones for rediculous sums because it lowers their phone bill, they buy it to have a better/newer gadget than others. They also might rather pay an American battery company $10k dollars even if it means it will take over 100k miles to get the pay back rather than buy oil from not so friendly goverments.

If people think this won't sell they must feel the same way about the Volt since it will cost even more and probably won't be any more efficient even if it is a better vehicle.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I doubt that they care where the technolody was designed or built, with this or with any of the daily products they buy that, over the course of a year, add up to way more than $10,000. I think it will just be for bragging rights and so that they can increase their smug emissions.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
What I think is the big big flaw with modern day hybrids is the high cost to purchase them......

Those who would benefit the most from having a car that gets good MPG can not afford a hybrid, if someone came out with a hybrid for lets say $13,000 then it will change the market.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
100mpg for 40 miles doesn't make much sense to me, it seems that saving are minimal at best.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

Actually from comments on various message boards it appears that many of the potential buyers are those that hate oil companies with a passion and/or hate providing any further riches to Middle Eastern countries. Then of course there are the eco-greenies as well. The first two groups seem larger though.

You're right though. None of them is hurting financially if they're going to sink $10000 into a used vehicle. $10000 might be chump change for them.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Because they wouldn't be buying this with the intent to reduce the amount of their money going to OPEC. If it were, E-85 capable vehicles would be flying off the lots and people would be demanding that gas stations equip themselves with E-85 pumps. This, sadly, has not been the case.

The reason they would be buying this is to, in their minds, save money. I am very thankful that American people/businesses are developing these technologies to help America get off OPEC oil. What is crazy to me is when someone says, "I am going to buy this $10,000 "battery pack" for my used Prius to save money." That, to me, is a person with mental problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts