GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
37,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Honda CR-V will soon be running on a different type of gas.

Honda has announced plans to launch a hydrogen-powered version of its bestseller in 2024.

The compact SUV will use a fuel cell that generates electricity through the combination of stored hydrogen and atmospheric oxygen, which emits only water as a byproduct.

The low-volume model will be equipped with the powertrain at Honda's Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, which recently finished producing the Acura NSX supercar.

Honda's fuel cell generates electricity through the combination of hydrogen and oxygen.

Honda's fuel cell generates electricity through the combination of hydrogen and oxygen. (Honda)
Honda is one of a few automakers that sees a future for hydrogen vehicles as an option to battery-powered electrics as the industry shifts to zero-emissions vehicles. It previously offered the fuel cell Clarity for sale in California but discontinued it last year.

The fuel cell CR-V will be built at the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio.

The fuel cell CR-V will be built at the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio. (Honda)
The main advantage hydrogen fuel cell vehicles have over battery-electrics is that they can be refueled in just a few minutes like a gasoline-powered vehicle. However, there are only a handful of public stations in the U.S. at this time, mostly clustered in southern California.

The CR-V will also have a small battery that can be recharged like a plug-in hybrid's, but Honda hasn't released any information on the electric driving range or any other specifications.

The Honda CR-V is also offered with a traditional hybrid powertrain.

The Honda CR-V is also offered with a traditional hybrid powertrain. (Honda)
The all-new CR-V that launched this fall is available with either a conventional four-cylinder or as a hybrid with a combined fuel economy rating of up to 40 mpg.

Along with the fuel cell CR-V, Honda will also introduce the similarly sized all-electric Prologue SUV in 2024, which will be built in the U.S. using the General Motors Ultium electric vehicle platform.

Gary Gastelu is Fox News Digital's automotive editor.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Hmmm… I wish them luck. This a far more interesting direction than BEVs for me. Plus I can burn hydrogen in a small block V8 too. (Or use a fuel cell) This could be another alternative to the what I believe to be the premature EV era.

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Interesting, replacing one vehicle that no one wanted (NSX) with another vehicle that won't sell.

Honda is one of a few automakers that sees a future for hydrogen vehicles as an option to battery-powered electrics as the industry shifts to zero-emissions vehicles. It previously offered the fuel cell Clarity for sale in California but discontinued it last year.
Honda is one of the few because all of the manufacturer's kind of noticed there is virtually no infrastructure, no real talk of nationwide retail infrastructure being built anytime soon and therefore no market. Haven't they noticed Toyota's Miria is NOT setting the market on fire?

As I've said many times before, I am not down on the idea of hydrogen if it is green, but what is the point if you realistically can't fill it up?

· Registered
774 Posts
Interesting, replacing one vehicle that no one wanted (NSX) with another vehicle that won't sell.
Low volume production, baked in.
Honda is one of the few because all of the manufacturer's kind of noticed there is virtually no infrastructure, no real talk of nationwide retail infrastructure being built anytime soon and therefore no market. Haven't they noticed Toyota's Miria is NOT setting the market on fire?
Tomorrow’s fuel.. tomorrow!
In my country it’s called ‘the long promise’
Meanwhile BEV motoring today proceeds apace.
As I've said many times before, I am not down on the idea of hydrogen if it is green, but what is the point if you realistically can't fill it up?
Indeed, IF it is green.

Because producing non-green hydrogen at scale is environmentally a totally filthy process. Plus terribly inefficient - ie: what’s the point?

”The real crux of the problem is that to create green hydrogen you need a massive excessive amount of green energy (Renewables’). So from hydrogen creation to turning the wheels on your FCEV to drive, you’re at best left with only 38% of the energy used. In a BEV you lose around 20% and have 80% left to move the vehicle and drive. It’s no secret why the industry chooses to use renewables directly (BEV) to move the vehicle, it’s just the most efficient use of green energy.”

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Low volume production, baked in.
Tomorrow’s fuel.. tomorrow!
In my country it’s called ‘the long promise’
Meanwhile BEV motoring today proceeds apace.

Indeed, IF it is green.

Because producing non-green hydrogen at scale is environmentally a totally filthy process. Plus terribly inefficient - ie: what’s the point?

”The real crux of the problem is that to create green hydrogen you need a massive excessive amount of green energy (Renewables’). So from hydrogen creation to turning the wheels on your FCEV to drive, you’re at best left with only 38% of the energy used. In a BEV you lose around 20% and have 80% left to move the vehicle and drive. It’s no secret why the industry chooses to use renewables directly (BEV) to move the vehicle, it’s just the most efficient use of green energy.”
Reminds me of Ethanol - as far as I recall it has been proven to NOT be environmentally beneficial and requires more energy to convert corn to ethanol than you get out of it.

· Registered
3,384 Posts
Rolls-Royce successfully tests hydrogen-powered jet engine

LONDON -
Britain's Rolls-Royce said it has successfully run an aircraft engine on hydrogen, a world aviation first that marks a major step towards proving the gas could be key to decarbonising air travel.

The ground test, using a converted Rolls-Royce AE 2100-A regional aircraft engine, used green hydrogen created by wind and tidal power, the British company said on Monday.
Rolls and its testing program partner easyJet are seeking to prove that hydrogen can safely and efficiently deliver power for civil aero engines.
It's coming

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Reminds me of Ethanol - as far as I recall it has been proven to NOT be environmentally beneficial and requires more energy to convert corn to ethanol than you get out of it.
BTW, I am hearing that you should be wary of E85: not good for engines in the long run, and definitely delivers low MPG's. Perhaps driven by lobbying interests. The land should be used to make real food

· Banned
5,055 Posts
Honda Clarity FCX US sales, it set the world on fire.

The world lovers a trier, at least Honda stuck with it, the autoworkers on the Clarity FCX production line must have had a stressful life.

When's the next FCX coming down the line Fred, about 3 to 6 months time Barney.

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
BTW, I am hearing that you should be wary of E85: not good for engines in the long run, and definitely delivers low MPG's. Perhaps driven by lobbying interests. The land should be used to make real food
A buddy of mine that lives in PA sent me a picture of the price of E85, $1.99 a gallon and regular unleaded was $3.85 (this was last week). Someone is subsidizing E85 heavily...

· Registered
1,877 Posts
A buddy of mine that lives in PA sent me a picture of the price of E85, $1.99 a gallon and regular unleaded was $3.85 (this was last week). Someone is subsidizing E85 heavily...
The corn used to make ethanol is heavily subsidized (we have a Cargill corn refinery in the town across the river from where I live), which lowers the cost of E85 but raises food prices. It also takes a lot of diesel to plant and harvest that corn, plus a lot of petrochemical herbicides, fungicides and insecticides....which are subsidized as part of the petroleum industry.

· Premium Member
37,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Corn lobby.

It's coming
It is indeed. And if you were born December 1, 2022 you may get to ride in one of them sukkaz!

E85. One more success for the intelligentsia. They are SO smart!

Honda Clarity FCX US sales, it set the world on fire.

The world lovers a trier, at least Honda stuck with it, the autoworkers on the Clarity FCX production line must have had a stressful life.

When's the next FCX coming down the line Fred, about 3 to 6 months time Barney.
Never say die!

You and me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts