GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration held a public hearing today regarding the threat hybrid vehicles pose to pedestrians. The blind were always an identifiable victim to whisper-quiet hybrids, with the U.S. government to pass legislation that would have hybrids emit minimum sound levels.
More at Link:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/hybrids...not-just-the-blind-nhtsa-hears.html#more-7815

I can kind of see the point about not being able to hear a vehicle coming, but in other respects this is stupid. There are already lots of cars that you really don't hear the engine running as it approaches. Especially if it is not accelerating and/or it is in a relatively noisy urban setting.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I've had one or two sneak up behind me...so I can see why some say that's a problem.

However, people get hit by buses all the time, and I don't think there are many vehicles larger and louder on the streets. Sound isn't everything.

People need to put down their cellphones, unplug their mp3 player earbuds, and actually look around when they're getting to a street corner or walking through a parking lot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had one or two sneak up behind me...so I can see why some say that's a problem.

However, people get hit by buses all the time, and I don't think there are many vehicles larger and louder on the streets. Sound isn't everything.

People need to put down their cellphones, unplug their mp3 player earbuds, and actually look around when they're getting to a street corner or walking through a parking lot.
/thread

·
Registered
355 Posts
I figure one day when I'm crazy tired after work, beaten by hardware bugs, eyes glazed over from the computer monitors... I will stumble out into the parking lot and mope toward my car, and then get smeared by a renegade hybrid driving too fast (and too quiet) for me to have noticed.

When I saw that hybrid cars were silent in parking lots when they first came out, I said they would be "silent killers". I still stand by my statement. They should have speakers underneath to emit engine sounds toward the front and back of the car, ala pimp-my-ride (when they don't want to do any real engine mod they add engine sounds).

·
Registered
183 Posts
kinda sounds like the cell phone law cali just passed. cant talk on cell phone at all while driving unless u have blue tooth. BUT nothing in the law prohibits TEXTING and driving. lol

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
More at Link:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/hybrids...not-just-the-blind-nhtsa-hears.html#more-7815

I can kind of see the point about not being able to hear a vehicle coming, but in other respects this is stupid. There are already lots of cars that you really don't hear the engine running as it approaches. Especially if it is not accelerating and/or it is in a relatively noisy urban setting.
Jeez, Just what I want ..... a Trolley bell clanging when my electric car runs @ low speeds.

Ken

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
You get pulled over if you have a bad exhaust system, too-loud of a system...

Millions of dollars are spent putting up walls between freeways and residential areas...

now cars are silent and there's still complainers. I guess you truly can't please everyone

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
You get pulled over if you have a bad exhaust system, too-loud of a system...

Millions of dollars are spent putting up walls between freeways and residential areas...

now cars are silent and there's still complainers. I guess you truly can't please everyone
:yup:

People suck. I started a "I hate people" club. I am the president, v.p., treasurer, secretary etc..........because I hate people; I won't let anyone join! End rant.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Easy.

Just make a car version of this:

Use a baseball card. It serves the same purpose but is probably within easy grip.

Don't want to sacrifice a baseball card? Use a Pokemon card. No one gives a damn about those.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
We need legislation requiring all hybrid drivers to play loud obnoxious music at all times.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Buick61 said:

Buick61, I'm ashamed to say that I got a chuckle out of the bus comment. Tragic but kinda funny.

I saw a guy lose his life while walking into a busy downtown Chicago street while talking on his cell phone. You're correct about the phones/MP3 players.

Maybe we issue Harleys for everybody, so we can actually feel the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts