GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...gm_truck_plant_080621/20080621?hub=TopStories

The Canadian Auto Workers union says General Motors has reversed its decision not to build any hybrid pickups in Oshawa, Ont., and will start assembling a hybrid truck this fall.

The company made the decision despite plans to close the truck plant there next year, CAW local 222 president Chris Buckley told CTV Newsnet on Saturday.

"It's a small win," Buckley said. "We need to take some larger steps to secure the jobs of our 2,600 members that will be affected (by the closure)."

The decision came out of a meeting between CAW officials and GM management on Friday, but the company has not commented on the reversal and the reasons for it.

Buckley said adding the hybrid at the truck plant shows "a glimmer of hope" that the plant can remain open, especially if hybrid truck sales take off.

Earlier this month, GM announced it was closing the Oshawa truck plant because of slumping demand for large vehicles. The plant employs 2,600 workers.

The decision was announced just two weeks after GM reached a tentative agreement with the union, promising to continue production at the plant through 2011.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
This is dumb. They should make those trucks at existing truck plants in Ft. Wayne, Pontiac or Flint. They should convert the Oshawa truck factory to making cars such as the Astra or some other Euro-make to get around the exchange rate woes.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
This is going to help GM, how? :confused:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
This is dumb. They should make those trucks at existing truck plants in Ft. Wayne, Pontiac or Flint. They should convert the Oshawa truck factory to making cars such as the Astra or some other Euro-make to get around the exchange rate woes.
How does converting a truck plant to a car plant make more sense than converting to it a very similar pickup?

And this seems fair to me, the union may be evil, but GM doesn't fix anything by lying, which is what they did. You can't promise a contract than pretend the whole world changed 2 weeks later...

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
How does converting a truck plant to a car plant make more sense than converting to it a very similar pickup?

And this seems fair to me, the union may be evil, but GM doesn't fix anything by lying, which is what they did. You can't promise a contract than pretend the whole world changed 2 weeks later...
Again when and where did GM lie? Its been discussed many times in other threads that GM did not lie in the negotiations.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I wonder if a 2 mode coloardo would do better with milage than the 2 mode Silverado... if the S-10 could get 30MPG hwy with a 5 speed and 4cyl a 2mode Colardo should be able to get 35-40mpg I would think. (perhaps an I5 wasent the best engine option, I still maintain the 3800 (in series one form, not series 2) would have been an excelent truck engine. Even a slightly revised (heavy duty, truck cam) series 2 would be a decent stump puller and return decent fule economy.

But I digress, 2 mode trucks, at another plant? or was this the plant that has always built them? I think GM though the 2 mode would create a bigger help than it really did. (didnt they collaborate with BMW and Mercedes on that tech? are those companies even using it now?)

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
My understanding was that they negotiated a new contract and were told they were going to be shut down 2 weeks later. Sounds pretty low down to me.
Here is exactly what the judge said:
If any of the GM Canada negotiators knew the truck market information that was known by GM Corp, the deceit-like behaviour would be compounded. However, I do not find that any of the GM Canada negotiators had such knowledge. Without the advance notice and discussion provisions, it is impossible to know whether the parties would have come to an agreement or the eventual terms of the agreement.
GM Canada did not lie during negotiations.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts

Because they already have enough/surplus capacity to build the hybrids at the existing GM truck plants. Why have four truck plants operation on one shift each. This is potentially enough work to put 1 or 2 truck plants in Michigan back to two shifts, thus making them more efficient/profitable.

Besides Oshawa would be more stable building cars, especially some European/Oz designed cars and this would help GM out on the exchange rate that is sapping their profits. This is especially true for the Saturn lineup which is composed almost entirely of Opel/Vauxhall derviatives.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Here is exactly what the judge said:

GM Canada did not lie during negotiations.
Of course that's what the judge would say. Did anyone expect the judge to rule in favor of the CAW and open a can of worms that could potentially plague all industries. Think about it.
GM knows ithad to keep that truck plant open because of what it did. People that were anti_union were even against GM on this one. Like i said in another post if they close this plant you won't be able to give GM's away around here.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Of course that's what the judge would say. Did anyone expect the judge to rule in favor of the CAW and open a can of worms that could potentially plague all industries. Think about it.
GM knows ithad to keep that truck plant open because of what it did. People that were anti_union were even against GM on this one. Like i said in another post if they close this plant you won't be able to give GM's away around here.
This same judge is a part of a union as well. He was siding for the union during the case. The case was based on facts, read the case. Regardless if the judge at the supreme court says there was no lying and the ruling was based on this fact, then this is what you should be believing.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
This same judge is a part of a union as well. He was siding for the union during the case. The case was based on facts, read the case. Regardless if the judge at the supreme court says there was no lying and the ruling was based on this fact, then this is what you should be believing.
You just don't get it. Problem is you need to look at the whole picture. I have not heard anyone around here say GM lied. I have not said they lied. It's called dirty pool in light of the events that led up to this. Look at ALL the facts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
GM needs a small diesel stat! And I mean smaller then the one they have coming. I'm talking like 2.8-3.0L pumping out about 300lb-ft of tq and whatever HP. That would tow when you need it and be economical every other time. Sure it might accel a bit slow but who really cares if it actually becomes a good mix of economy and utility.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
camaro won't support an entire plant...so perhaps g8 sedan and el camino (?). if the car plant will be making zeta variants, then it seems better to build a smaller car in the truck plant. sure retooling is expensive, but it'd go through past 2011...unless small cars will be built exclusively in mexico or asia.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
camaro won't support an entire plant...so perhaps g8 sedan and el camino (?). if the car plant will be making zeta variants, then it seems better to build a smaller car in the truck plant. sure retooling is expensive, but it'd go through past 2011...unless small cars will be built exclusively in mexico or asia.
I concour.
Go back to the original plan of letting Oshawa make the G8 for MY10....

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Yes, they don't need another truck plant, at least not anytime soon, but truck demand will pickup in the next year or so.

I believe the Astra is earmarked for its new complex in Mexico; initially, Lordstown was a possibility, but a new Chevy will be had their.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah I see no one can make a comment without you jumping in with your corporate raised anti union opinion.
First of all the case is based on the facts submitted and yes they cannot prove they lied without a doubt. But then there is believing as you state, no one can honestly believe this corporation did not know at the time of signing this contract that they were closing this plant. If they didn't know then there are bigger idiots sitting in the ivory tower called CHQ then any of us thought.
Secondly: the Judge is not part of a union he is a member of an association, there is a big big difference. But I admire what you were trying to do there and make him appear to be just another good old union boy.
Thirdly: he is not a supreme court judge he is a superior court judge, another big difference. Supreme court is the highest court in Canada and Superior court is the highest court in Ontario.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts