GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hybrid Toyota MR2 possible in 2005

Toyota is likely going to add a performance-oriented hybrid in its U.S. stable of vehicles the not-too distant future, a major Department of Energy research official tells TCC.

"We've heard that Toyota's going to come out with a next-generation MR2 that will have hybrid technology in it," the official says, adding that the DOE has been urging U.S. automakers to employ a performance-oriented strategy for some time and that Toyota, once again, plans to beat its Yankee competitors to the punch.

"I think a performance hybrid is absolutely logical, makes perfect sense and I'm surprised no one has done it yet," he says. "We've been advocating that within the industry for some time now. I think it makes sense because you can successfully combine very high performance and high efficiency and you're in the type of vehicle that can bear the price premium a little better. If you're clever about it you can just have stellar, stellar performance. We all know that electric motors are really good for launch."

In addition, the official says hybrids allow automakers to downsize engine size without sacrificing power, at the same time providing needed off-the-line boost.

The next-generation MR2 is scheduled for 2005 or 2006, according to recent speculation and the natural progression of Toyota's product cycles. The current generation roadster has been on roads since 2000.

The DOE official's comments come following Toyota's admission in 2002 that it is planning a full-hybrid lineup by 2012 and the company's announcement at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show that it seriously will consider building a hybrid V-8 version of its next full-size Tundra pickup truck in years to come.

A hybrid MR2 and Tundra would likely follow the Camry into Toyota's growing hybrid lineup, which will soon include the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX sport-utes in addition to the Prius. Toyota, selling 17,564 Prius in 2004 through May, according to Automotive News, has already outsold last year's five-month tally by more than double and is on pace to outperform its initial hybrid sales estimate for the year.

Toyota says it does not comment on specific future product plans, but reveals it is planning to expand its hybrid push in the U.S. and the expansion mostly focuses on vehicles that get better performance than is typical of traditional hybrids.

source

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
c'mon man, that's somewhat pointless:
it's not like the mr2 was a gas guzzler in the first place...

and since when the lazy mr2 was "performance oriented"? maybe with the celica gts 180hp engine. that car is "chick oriented"

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
the more hybrid models there are, the less they will be able to put premiums above list on them. good stuff. i like it. plus, a sporty hybrid is a good mix of 2 worlds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think we should all get used to this. Unfortunately, it looks like Toyota again will spank everyone's a** with new and innovative products/technology. Regardless of the car they employ the hybrid/performance marriage, it will work. For example: imagine having a Honda Accord V6 coupe clocking times as fast as a V8 performace car, yet getting 30mpg on the street? Do you really think people are going to say "It's fast, but too economical, I will stick with the American car with the same performance but half the fuel economy." GM and all the other domestic manufacturers better get on it, or they will continue to see their market share dwindle.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Jun 24 2004, 12:33 PM
and since when the lazy mr2 was "performance oriented"? maybe with the celica gts 180hp engine. that car is "chick oriented"
I think they're talking about the next generation MR2.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I still think that the Escape is a bigger win than an MR2. The MR2 is useless as it is. Give me a no compromises Hybrid and we have a deal. When GM's full Hybrids hit the street they had better be right the first time. They have left little time for error.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hope they return to the preformance and estetics of previous generation of MR-2 turbos. I hope they offer a tagra top version with at least 240 horsepower.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a V8 performance car with 405 HP that gets the same mileage as a V6 Accord. If gas was 2.50 a gallon it still wouldn't be worth getting a 40 mpg "performance" car that goes 0-60 in 8 seconds.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 25 2004, 03:36 AM
I have a V8 performance car with 405 HP that gets the same mileage as a V6 Accord. If gas was 2.50 a gallon it still wouldn't be worth getting a 40 mpg "performance" car that goes 0-60 in 8 seconds.
that's exactly what I wanted to reply:

check out the fuel economy of the late f-body ls1/6speed...

as for the mr2, because it's mainly a w/e driver, not a good daily driver/comuter (2 seats and small interior/cargo space), they really shouldn't bother with all this. better use this on larger cars/trucks, where it would yeld better results in terms of gas money saved

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Jun 24 2004, 10:44 PM
as for the mr2, because it's mainly a w/e driver, not a good daily driver/comuter (2 seats and small interior/cargo space), they really shouldn't bother with all this. better use this on larger cars/trucks, where it would yeld better results in terms of gas money saved
Like transit busses and trucks..............;)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hybrids are a kind of fashion,
I think that most of the people who buy them don't care about mileage.
Just like my father who bought my mother an Audi A2 Tdi (Audi-made microwave) only to tell everybody it uses 4 litres of gas per 100Km...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally think a performance hybrid is a good idea. If people can see that they can get good performance and be more "environmentally friendly" it would really go a long way to push more "alternative" engine vehicles in this country. I think Toyota's making a good move.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 24 2004, 10:36 PM
I think you guys missed my point. For example : V6 Accord Hybrid, 240 hp V6 plus the hybrid drive, (Not sure what the numbers on the hybrid drive would equal to in hp) doing 0-60 times in the low 5's. Getting 40 mph in the city not highway. Now, take any GM, Ford, Dodge V8. The best they get on the street is about 20 mpg. Tell me that is not going to turn some heads? I love V8 performance cars and would not buy a Japanese car unless I had a good reason to, so I am not bashing anyone, just telling it like it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts