GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a redesigned flagship if executed properly could easily command well north of US $$ 100,000.00.
That said, GM has both the diesel technology, the Hybrid technology in big trucks to make a Hummer that is both diesel and Hybrid.
With the Hummer and Cadillac Brands, GM also has the avenues to develop expensive applications without having to worry about selling at a loss and the international reach needed to achieve profitability at lower volumes.

Between North America, China, Japan, Europe, middle east and parts of china and Africa, GM could easily move 100,000 units of a year of this type of vehicle.
Now with an Indian Range Rover, Hummer can move into Land Rover territory and exploit the third world image the RR has gained.
So why will they not just build a Range Rover killing 60 MPG hummer that is soo technologically advanced, Gwaggen will beg to be parked aways from it...?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Between North America, China, Japan, Europe, middle east and parts of china and Africa, GM could easily move 100,000 units of a year of this type of vehicle.
I highly doubt that. Hummer's image is just too bad among anyone who would consider a hybrid.

A diesel-hybrid combo would be much better on a Silverado. If it sells well, then move the powertrain into a Hummer.

·
Premium Member
34,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I highly doubt that. Hummer's image is just too bad among anyone who would consider a hybrid.

A diesel-hybrid combo would be much better on a Silverado. If it sells well, then move the powertrain into a Hummer.
Hummer image is not bad, and those that would not buy it already drive a prius.
However, for the Range Rover, Escalade platinum drivers, this would be a feel good option.
What do you guys think would be a reasonable mpg estimate? Perhaps a Turbo Diesel V6 with Hybrid assist?

Adding a diesel and a Hybrid to the Silvarado would push it to Platinum EXT price range

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea. Big Hummers are bought for the look at me factor, environment be damned, expensive hybrids are bought for the green appearance, not because they're actually that much more efficient.

A flagship hybrid diesel Hummer wouldn't carry a green image because it would still get 20mpg-ish and it's still a Hummer with all the negative baggage. A hybrid drivetrain would add nothing to the 'in your face' appeal, and a high-tech diesel hybrid powertrain is the last thing you want offroad or in developing countries.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea. Big Hummers are bought for the look at me factor, environment be damned, expensive hybrids are bought for the green appearance, not because they're actually that much more efficient.

A flagship hybrid diesel Hummer wouldn't carry a green image because it would still get 20mpg-ish and it's still a Hummer with all the negative baggage. A hybrid drivetrain would add nothing to the 'in your face' appeal, and a high-tech diesel hybrid powertrain is the last thing you want offroad or in developing countries.
I'm thinking all those tree-hugging haters who give the Hummer drivers the cold stare would be lining up to buy one of these trucks if GM were to make one.
I think it's a great idea; certainly a much better idea than the Volt or Prius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts