GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Why is it that GM can't make old NIMH style Hybrid for Chevy as a cheaper option then the volt?

If the Volt is gonna be almost 40K....Hell even 30k

Why can't they build a 15-20K NIMH Hybrid for the masses? I am sure GM could engineer something that wouldn't rely on Toyota tech and if nessary it could be built in a cheaper market and imported.

So, why isn't this a good idea?

And please don't say it would water down the volt. The volt with newer tech would draw those looking for the greater proformence and cache....

:D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have a question. Why is it that GM can't make old NIMH style Hybrid for Chevy as a cheaper option then the volt?
Two-Mode. It is real, and it is coming on even more cars. Your question makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
they can but they are more concerned with being technology leader than building for the consumer. It is what it is!!
Also it would be heavier, get worse fuel economy, go less distance on just battery power, have the battery die with less charges, slowly lose storage capacity of the battery, and all in all have a much worse hybrid. And still to sell that close to or make a profit they would still have to sell it at around $25 or more.

Sooo...
would you rather have a very effiecent hybrid that changes the game, or a GM version of the Prius that you can just plug in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just wanna sell some cars and feed my family. We have made some pathetic vehicles in the past (and even recent past) and they held us over till the real deal shows up. give them options and turn some iron. It is all about rotating the cash, Toyota has a sub par hybrid and they are continuing to sell and produce this vehicle while they are attempting to photo copy our high tech VOLT.

They are using our technology now and they will in the future and we will sit back and talk about what we are going to do.

To answer your statement. I do want the VOLT but I want the product not the propaganda. Give me something .... Honda Civic hybrid Nissan Altima hybrid Toyota hybrids....... $56,000 GMC Yukon???? (impressive but not in the game)

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
The Volt doesn't make much sense, outside of showcasing technological and environmental leadership...
...Hybrid technology belongs on trucks and SUV's not on compact cars...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
to answer the original question, the hybrid Auras, Vues, and Malibus on the road right now use NiMH batteries, and they are cost-competitive with regular cars. The next generation will use Lithium, but I'm sure the cost will be affordable.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
care to elaborate? I would say the opportunity to never buy gas again makes a lot of sense.
Just ignore his ignorance - he's proven he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
care to elaborate? I would say the opportunity to never buy gas again makes a lot of sense.
Shh! He elaborated right below the bolded part.

Great, do you see what you did? Now this thread is going to turn into a discussion about how the automotive media is biased towards Toyota and Honda's hybrid vehicles. Just great. ;)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I say put BAS+ in something like the Cobalt. The current Cobalt get 25/36 and with VVT its supposed to get even better. Add in BAS+ and it would probably get 31/44 MPG. Oh, and price it at $18,500 :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts