GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wards Auto News
September 28, 2021

Volkswagen’s chief operating officer, Johan De Nysschen, suggests the modern-day Scout could be based on a VW-developed electric car platform and be similar to the Rivian R1S SUV, but “at the $40,000 price point instead of $70,000.”

Volkswagen could revive the International Harvester Scout nameplate as a battery-electric SUV to be sold in North America, according to the company’s chief operating officer, Johan De Nysschen.

At a media event organized by Volkswagen, De Nysschen tells journalists the German automaker, which obtained the trademark to the International Harvester Scout name via its commercial-vehicle division in 2020, was considering a relaunch of the iconic U.S. brand.”

·
Premium Member
34,893 Posts
International harvester will be too little too late. By then, F150, Sieera, Silverado, Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition etc will already be on the roads… no one will want a Volkswagen

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
Wow. What's old is new again these days.

Hey, it's the 50th anniversary of the Chevy Vega! What do you say...no, bad, bad idea. Sorry.
Great idea; call it; Vega EV, EVega or EVga?

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Since VW has had no real history with pickups in the USA (I know they've sold a few, but nothing iconic or memorable), makes sense to use the Scout name - at least that has some market recognition.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I thought Case IH (CNH) owned the naming rights to "International Harvester" and "Scout".
My first experience with International Harvester was in 1959 when my father bought an International pickup truck. He own three. IIRC, the pickup trucks including the Scout and Scout II were always advertised as Internationals. The company was International Harvester, but its vehicles were Internationals. When the company was split up, the small trucks had been long gone. The truck and bus operations were renamed Navistar International whose products were branded and sold as International trucks. The iconic IH logo was replaced by a split-diamond logo inspired by International's old tri-diamond logo.

The farming and earthmoving operations were sold to Tenneco along with the IH logo. Tenneco merged International Harvester's operations with its existing J. I. Case operations to form Case-IH. Case-IH adopted International Harvester's iconic red paint in favor of whatever shade of yellow used by J. I. Case. Case-IH is now owned by Italian manufacturer ARGO SpA.

So here is where I see the prospects of reviving the Scout. If Volkswagen wants to revive the Scout badge on a new SUV, then I see no issue with naming it International Scout. If VW intends to market the new SUV as the International Harvester Scout, then I believe that it will have to license the name from ARGO SpA. If it wants to go all-in with the iconic IH logo, then I am almost certain that it will have to license the logo from ARGO SpA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Volkswagen Group Rus and GAZ Group are extending their joint project
to produce Volkswagen and ŠKODA cars in Nizhny Novgorod in western Russia. The cooperation between Volkswagen and GAZ started in 2011 with the signing of an agreement for the contract assembly of Volkswagen and ŠKODA cars at the GAZ plant. Under the project, new assembly and body shops were built at GAZ, the paint shop was modernized, logistic and quality control systems were improved, and production of components for Volkswagen and ŠKODA vehicles was established.
9Apps Showbox
The total number of cars produced so far totals approximately 200,000. Marcus Osegowitsch, General Director of Volkswagen Group Rus, commented: "We are extending our successful partnership with GAZ Group for contract manufacturing because local production has always been a key element of the Volkswagen Group's long-term development strategy in Russia." Based on this vignette, how did Volkswagen enter the Russian market and how would you assess the merits of this market entry strategy?

·
Premium Member
34,893 Posts
Volkswagen Group Rus and GAZ Group are extending their joint project
to produce Volkswagen and ŠKODA cars in Nizhny Novgorod in western Russia. The cooperation between Volkswagen and GAZ started in 2011 with the signing of an agreement for the contract assembly of Volkswagen and ŠKODA cars at the GAZ plant. Under the project, new assembly and body shops were built at GAZ, the paint shop was modernized, logistic and quality control systems were improved, and production of components for Volkswagen and ŠKODA vehicles was established.
9Apps Showbox
The total number of cars produced so far totals approximately 200,000. Marcus Osegowitsch, General Director of Volkswagen Group Rus, commented: "We are extending our successful partnership with GAZ Group for contract manufacturing because local production has always been a key element of the Volkswagen Group's long-term development strategy in Russia." Based on this vignette, how did Volkswagen enter the Russian market and how would you assess the merits of this market entry strategy?
Well, Volkswagen could always go ahead and get the GAZ Tiger-2 for an International. Seems to be some sort of H2 H1 Clone
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

1 - 11 of 11 Posts