GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/gm-offering-buyouts-and-bonuses-to-hummer-dealers
Taking heed of lessons learned when it shed the Oldsmobile brand, General Motors is quietly negotiating with HUMMER dealers to prevent lawsuits if the brand is sold or extinguished. Even though confidentiality agreements have been signed, HUMMER dealers are reporting heavy discussions with GM to buy back stores and compensate owners. GM has even paid second- and third-quarter bonuses (averaging six figures) in advance. June delivered gloom to HUMMER as the brand's sales fell 59.3 percent (to just 2,072 units) as near $5-per-gallon fuel prices began flowing through pumps. If that weren't bad enough, the rugged off-road brand was hit with another mass exodus of sales on GM's announcement that HUMMER might be sold. With sales falling, experienced dealership staff leaving, and fuel prices still up in the air, GM's Jeep-fighting brand has literally fallen off the road.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: HUMMER buyouts offered to HUMMER dealers.

So sad.

I was really hoping GM would somehow decide they wanted to keep the brand. Even with it's "gas guzzler" image, I still think hummer has a ton of brand equity. GM just needs to figure out the best way to use it. Something they are very very bad at.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This is horrible.

Hummer CAN fight Jeep and win, or at least be comparable.

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
This honestly makes me wonder if GM is just going to shutter the Hummer brand rather than sell it to an investor or foreign car company.

Why would they close showrooms if they are planning on selling the brand to someone else? Wouldn't an expansive dealership network be a good selling point in attracting a buyer?

Perhaps this means the brand will just cease to exist just as Oldsmobile did....

...and since I'm on the patriotic side, maybe this is the best course of action. I want GM to do well and succeed, but seeing an American brand like Hummer in the hands of a Chinese or Indian company just doesnt' sit well with me for some reason.

I know...perhaps I'm a bit shortsighted....

·
Registered
489 Posts
why don't they or can't they just convert Hummer's spot to other brand either Saturn or Buick and sell Saturn's dealership along in the trade of Hummer or would that cost too much?

Because we know Gm wants Saturn to have more dealerships and Hummer doesn't really need many with the current fuel rate.

just wonder if thus is something that could work for both parties.Hummer would be out of Saab-Caddy showrooms.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They could easily change Hummer's image with diesel engines.
That's what I've been saying for a while too.

K Dawg, what the hell is Gus gonna do with that Big H he put out front?
And I'll be expecting new key chains, mine say "Gus Revenberg Pontiac Buick GMC Hummer." :p:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Maybe the intent here is to merge Hummer into the GMC brand and just sell them as GMC H3, H3T, etc. That would make more sense and save on dealership heartburn and they could bring out the H4 and so forth.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They can do the same with either GMC or Chevy trucks.Plus by selling Hummer they get money and shed a brand.I think one more needs to go or downsized: Pontiac.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sad news. I was really hoping they would be able to keep them with some changes. I wanted the Hummer version of the Jeep Wrangler bad. Guess I'll just get the Wrangler.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I just can't see how this is good for GM. It's going to cost GM millions/billions of dollars to buy out all the dealers and GM is short on cash. Doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I just can't see how this is good for GM. It's going to cost GM millions/billions of dollars to buy out all the dealers and GM is short on cash. Doesn't make much sense to me.
It won't cost billions. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
June delivered gloom to HUMMER as the brand's sales fell 59.3 percent (to just 2,072 units)
So pathetic. I can't believe they spend ad money on HUMMER.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
So Ford Sells Land Rover for big bucks and GM shells out money to kill Hummer?!

Sure its an over simplified way to look at it but you gotta scratch your head a little. Its not like gas was $2.75/gallon when Tata bought Land Rover (and Jaguar).

·
Registered
426 Posts
You know how one issue with GM is trying to appeal to younger buyers? Hummer doesn't appeal to most of my friends that range from 15-18, so maybe this is a good thing that GM is trying to kill it off. When we are of the age to buy cars, we won't consider Hummer. We like the Cadillac CTS and Camaro though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You know how one issue with GM is trying to appeal to younger buyers? Hummer doesn't appeal to most of my friends that range from 15-18, so maybe this is a good thing that GM is trying to kill it off. When we are of the age to buy cars, we won't consider Hummer. We like the Cadillac CTS and Camaro though.
I guess it may be regional, because most teenagers I'm around (a lot) dream of an H2 or Escalade. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius or Civic and can't wait for the new Camaro to come out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont get GM sometimes... where are we really going? We have 2mode technology, put it standard in all retail hummers since it is already a pricey brand with cache. Make diesel an option and outfit it with "New Technology" for it to be able to run on ethanol or vegetable oil for filling stations like the green ones we have here in Los Angeles. It would also open up Hummer to the breadbasket states. TRANSFORM IT FROM THE MOST BROWN BRAND TO THE MOST GREEN in an instant, by making it cutting edge niche green. In the long run when/if hydrogen becomes available, Hummer could be positioned to be the first vehicles with the tech since they are large vehicles and can store the components more easily until the tech advances and things get smaller, like they always do.

And since there is a "shortage" on saturn dealerships, merge the beautiful and newish Hummer dealerships with saturn. Saturn/Hummer where Hummer is the enviro-truck component to the euro-saturn cars.

^^^For those that are unfamiliar with the "New Technology" I was referring to, many people here in Los Angeles are using both new and old diesels from old Mercedes to new VW Touregs and converting them so they can run on vegetable oil. We even have filling stations outfitted with Veg Oil, E-85, natural gas, and hydrogen... although hydro is less available

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I dont get GM sometimes... where are we really going? We have 2mode technology, put it standard in all retail hummers since it is already a pricey brand with cache. Make diesel an option and outfit it with "New Technology" for it to be able to run on ethanol or vegetable oil for filling stations like the green ones we have here in Los Angeles. It would also open up Hummer to the breadbasket states. TRANSFORM IT FROM THE MOST BROWN BRAND TO THE MOST GREEN in an instant, by making it cutting edge niche green. In the long run when/if hydrogen becomes available, Hummer could be positioned to be the first vehicles with the tech since they are large vehicles and can store the components more easily until the tech advances and things get smaller, like they always do.

And since there is a "shortage" on saturn dealerships, merge the beautiful and newish Hummer dealerships with saturn. Saturn/Hummer where Hummer is the enviro-truck component to the euro-saturn cars.
You can't be rational in irrational times.

Americans are freaking out over fuel prices that the rest of the world has been paying for over a decade (strange, since Americans are supposedly so wealthy). As such, it becomes a matter of image, and the big SUV's image is tarnished.

It's the same situation as back in the Depression, when the über wealthy started buying ordinary cars like Buicks and Chryslers because it was simply too vulgar to be seen a Pierce-Arrow. Cadillac was kept alive because GM demoted it from Rolls-Royce status to just-above-Buick, so much so that it caused the death of LaSalle.

Social conditions killed off the luxury marques of the 1930s possibly more so than a lack of wealthy buyers, and today's social conditions will kill off brands like Hummer. Believe me $4/gallon gas ain't affecting the pocketbooks of people in my high-income neighborhood, but I can guarantee you'll be seeing quite a few big SUVs around here replaced by smaller offerings soon.

Today's SUV is tomorrow's disco ball.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts