GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week ago I purchased a new Hummer H3 Alpha. This past weekend I took it out for a drive in the Los Padres National Forest in California. While driving it on a dirt road my front right axel broke.(548 mile on the odometer) GM roadside assistance towed me to the nearest Hummer dealer. It was a Sunday so they were closed.

I got a call Monday morning from the service department telling me they would not repair the axel under warranty. When I asked why he told me "Because they don't just brake". Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Yikes. That's nuts. Go to Land Rover and see if they won't give you your purchase price as trade-in value, to create goodwill. If not try Toyota with the Land Cruiser. If GM won't stand behind an expensive piece of equipment like an H3 Alpha then you should go elsewhere.

This is all assuming it really just broke on a dirt road. If it broke while trying to jump the Grand Canyon, no sympathy for you!!! But seriously, an H3 Alpha is built for off road, and it seems pretty unreasonable that it broke in 548 miles.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I've seen this a few other times, where people did it in dirt and mud, they were not driving their Hummer correctly (as you should in such terrain) and in one case the steering just snapped and the other one the axle broke by giving way too much power than they should have.

I have a feeling there is more to this story...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, honestly it was just a dirt road, no jumps, no ramming into rocks... nothing. It's bran new, maybe after I put 50,000 Miles or so on it then I'll get crazy.

Any advise as to what I can do, the car is still at the Hummer dealer.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Did the tow truck pick it up right where it broke? Shouldn't you be able to tell by where it was just what kind of driving you were doing? I woul;d think that there might be telltale signs about any off-road damage, no? Can they check the blackbox to determine engine speed / throttle application?!?

Dunno man... hope you get it sorted out. I really like the H3... hope that they can determine that there was a flaw with the axle and that they fix it and that you'll get years of trouble free driving out of it afterwards!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Go back to the dealer and piss, moan and groan, and be down right mean if you have to. Its unfortunate, but sometimes these dealers try to take advantage of people and will deny a warranty claim figuring the customer will just walk away.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Welcome to the world of wheeling in an IFS vehicle, get used to it or get a Rubicon Jeep Wrangler.
So since it has IFS its not a capable off roader? The H3 won the stock class in the Baja 1000 this past year which says a lot about its off-road capabilities.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
just about the same thing that happened to 2003 Sierra, first the transmission was slipping (and getting worse), then when I drove it into the dealership to buy my new truck, about 1/4 of mile to the dealership the axle broke.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
now my sierra is fixed but its only a backup, now I'm going to trade it in with 14,900 for a '10 Camaro

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have never seen a GM axle break under normal driving conditions.I have seen people whack a curb and snap a axle.But never ever under "normal" driving conditions.There is more to your story.An axle just does not break while driving normally.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
So is it really a cv/half shaft?

To me, it would seem like the CV shaft would only ever break if like the entire A-arm (or whatever its called these days) breaks off. Truly it seems like a defect to me

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Only the driver knows for sure what happened. If it happened like he says then I can't defend GM. That's why he should get another vehicle.

If he horsed around and made a mistake and broke it because of misuse then he knows he's at fault and even if he'll never admit it, he knows.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Full lock turns in 4x4 will snap them on hard or dry pavement and this goes for solid front axles as well, as said I think theres more to this story.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Only the driver knows for sure what happened. If it happened like he says then I can't defend GM. That's why he should get another vehicle.

If he horsed around and made a mistake and broke it because of misuse then he knows he's at fault and even if he'll never admit it, he knows.
Yes, but there is always more to the story than people say... afterall, who goes in dirt with a brand new Hummer just to drive normally? Something is very fishy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts