·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HSV's Ring-In

CarPoint Editor
23 July 2008
www.carpoint.com.au

HSV has added a Nurburgring Edition of its Astra-based VXR hot hatch.

Just 20 Aussie hot hatch hardcases will get to own the latest limited edition from HSV. For that's the total number of Astra SRi based HSV VXR Nurburgring Editions that will come Down Under.

Piggy-backing on the Vauxhall and Opel Performance Centre limited edition programs, the VXR Nurburgring Edition features unique all-white paintwork and chequered flag graphics, carbon-fibre effect door, fascia and B-pillar inserts and special multi-spoke 18-inch lightweight alloys (the standard VXR hatch gets 19s) with special Dunlop rubber.

Inside there's a piano black centre stack and instrument panel as well as special Nurburgring track graphics on the sill plates and embossed into the VXR's leather-upholstered Recaro seats.

Launched today (in the shadow of the company's new W427 7.0-litre flagship) and arriving (one each) in 20 of HSV's top dealers next week, the VXR Nurburgring Edition is priced at $44,990 -- a $2000 premium over the VXR.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Maybe I should move to a more small-car-friendly place, like Australia. You guys don't seem to have the small car/large car virility/penile dimension mental problem we seem to have.:D

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
cool car... i want one
Saturn Astra with a body-kit, painted white, different rims and tires, different finishes for the interior....you could probably duplicate the look for about $25K, enhance the engine for about $5K, all of which comes to a lot less than the $43K it would cost to buy the one in the article.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's a pretty nifty looking little bugger thats for sure, but Saturn 69 the small car/large car/penile dimension thing still exists here, although it's fading pretty quickly as people realise they can either have a mortgage or a fat V8 but not both. However I doubt your ecomonic equasion when you factor in things like the driveline mods, brake upgrades and suspension enhancement. but yeah you probably could make something pretty good for less coin, but it aint going to have the 'ring tattood on it's seats!

The problem in Aus is that very few people have an afinity with the Nuburgring despite the fact it's where legends are born and broken. Even on a Euro hatch Mt Panorama would be a better option.

And Aych Es Vee, you are so right, surely it couldn't have been too hard for HSV to pry out the opel logo and glue a HSV one in its place. That really takes the shine off the finall product. Hopefully by now they have that problem (and the OPC logo in the instrument panel) rectified.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd pefer a stealth model Blacked out, or gun metal gray with black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wasn't to keen on the Nurburgring at 1st. But after seeing one in the flesh i would consider trading my Arden Blue VXR in on one if the deal was right.

Reason behind the Opel Blitz on the Steering wheel is to do with the Cost in testing of the air bag for passing crash regulations.
Considering HSV only import around 100 units a year the investment for Opel Vauxhall and HSV to product an airbag for the steering wheel with the HSV logo would be not worth the return on the amount of vehicles sold.

Its not that big a problem and also gives a talking point when people ask why its there and about how the car has come about to Australia.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
You'd think with being called Nurburgring edition it would be faster than a Cobalt SS.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
You'd think with being called Nurburgring edition it would be faster than a Cobalt SS.
Opel has a long history racing on the Nürburgring Nordschleife and the Astra won in 2003 the 24h race. Also Opel Performance Center (OPC) tuned the Cobalt SS suspension at the Ring to beat the 3 year old record set by the Astra OPC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts