·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HSV W427 Orders Sprint Towards $7m

Joshua Gliddon
4 July 2008
www.drive.com.au

Holden Special Vehicles has pre-sold 44 of the 90 W427s that it plans to build this year.

Australian muscle car enthusiasts have already splashed out $6.6m on HSV's forthcoming W427.

Holden Special Vehicles says it has so far sold half of its 90-strong 2008 production run for the ultimate Commodore that launches in August with a 375kW 7.0-litre V8 and a $150,000 price tag.

“We have sold 44 [W427s], and have the paperwork signed and delivered,” says HSV spokesman Simon Frost. “And there are probably another dozen orders out there that haven’t yet come in.”

The company plans to build a total of 427 examples of the new W427, which are being built to order only. The W427 is named after company owner and former race driver Tom Walkinshaw and the engine size in cubic inches.

Click here to continue article

Production Of W427 Commences

Ken Gratton
20 June 2008
www.carpoint.com.au

HSV is building no more than 427 units of its 7.0-litre anniversary monster.

How many prospective buyers will feel discouraged from buying HSV's W427 by the high cost of fuel? Not many, according to the low-volume builder.

The company already has 1500 expressions of interest in the highly collectible car and if just ten per cent of those convert to solid purchases, that will account for the car's entire production this year and the first few months of 2009. Of those expressions of interest, the prospective buyers are as disparate as miners from Mount Isa in Queensland to doctors from South Australia and the average age of current HSV buyers lies somewhere between 35 and 45 years of age.

HSV will only build 90 units of the car this year -- with a potential ceiling of 427 units over the course of a 2½-year production run -- for which buyers will be stumping up $150,000 or $156,000, depending on what happens with the luxury car tax (more here).

Whatever happens, HSV will build no more than the 427 cars (the number decided by the engine's displacement in cubic inches) and they may build fewer if the interest dries up.

Click here to continue article

Holden Special Vehicles W427 Update

Holden Special Vehicles
6 June 2008
www.hsv.com.au

Holden Special Vehicles today announced the next steps in the seven litre W427 program, including pricing, volume and distribution strategy.

Tom Walkinshaw confirmed the price of the W427 will be $150,000, plus on road costs, under the current Luxury Car Tax regime.

The build volume has also been confirmed. HSV will build up to 427 W427s, with vehicles being built to order at the Clayton production facility.

HSV has finalised the allocation strategy for the initial batch of cars.

Each Australian and New Zealand HSV Dealer (64 in total) will be allocated one W427, as long as they have a firm retail order.

Remaining W427s will be allocated to dealers based on 2007 sales figures.

Lastly, Tom Walkinshaw confirmed the final power output figure for the W427 will be 375kW and 640NM of torque.

The Holden Special Vehicles W427 will go on sale in August.

Key features of the W427

Price
• $150,000

Volume and Distribution
• HSV will build, to order, up to 427 W427s.
• Each Australian and New Zealand dealer (around 64 in total) will be entitled to one HSV W427 in the first production batch, provided they have a firm retail order.
• Further 2008 allocations will be prioritised to dealerships according to 2007 sales figures.

Exterior
• All new Front Fascia exclusive to W427
• All new 3 piece rear spoiler in carbon fibre
• All new 20 inch wheel

Interior
• HSV E series performance seats in full red hot trim with W427 logo
• HSV steering wheel, gear shifter and console lid in full red hot leather trim
• HSV specific trim panels

Powertrain
• 7.0 Litre, LS7 Engine with HSV specific calibration
• 375kW @ 6500 rpm
• 640Nm @ 5000 rpm
• Over radiator style cold air induction system – with high flow air filter.
• Dry sump lubrication system with 2 stage pump.
• Hand fabricated aluminium oil reservoir, with baffles for high G loading.
• Front mount, 13 row engine oil cooler
• Ceramic coated, high flow 4 into 1 extractors
• High flow catalytic converters and exhaust system (3” into 2 ¾”)
• Active bi-modal rear mufflers
• Exhaust back pressure management
• Improved noise quality
• High strength limited slip differential
• New high strength 6 speed manual gear box (TR6060)
• GMPT LS7 Clutch with new actuator and pedal assembly for high clamp loads

Suspension
• New springs, 30% stiffer than GTS
• Revised ride height – 20mm lower than GTS
• New stiffer rear suspension bushing
• All new MRC calibration to suit new springs, ride height and bushing

Brakes
• New 6 piston front braking system (50% increase in pad area)
• Strap drive, 2 piece floating front rotors (380 x 35mm) compared to 365 x 32mm one piece on GTS
• High friction pad material

Testing and development
• GMPT requirement for race track testing
• Full ‘Normal Durability’ cycle
• Hundreds of hours of engine dyne testing
• Full static and dynamic rig testing of critical components

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hmmm... that's a lot of dough for that type of car...

I'll save me the cash and purchase a ZR1 and have money left over to pay for the insurance...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I'm sure many of us in Aus would LOVE a ZR1, but until they're available in RHD, this will have to do for most of us. New, converted (to RHD), Zo6 Corvettes cost $230k in Aus, so God knows what a ZR1 would be!
Yep, it's a lot of dollars, but the W427 will be one helluva lot of car-nothing like it as ever been built in Aus before, so it's certainly a landmark vehicle-can't wait for my first ride!
Cheers, Pickles.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's...

503 HP
472 lb. ft. torque

...for those that are interested. Not sure what AU$150,000 is in US$ though. Anyone want to chime in?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Roughly $142000US

We get ripped on everything here. Our dollar being strong means prices go up :| The world is a strange strange place

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
If the proposed Fed Govt luxury car tax increases go into effect the price goes up $6k. (AU$156k)

Given they have 1500 expressions of interest and only 427 are to be built, Ii don't see them having too much to worry about.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Do you suppose there will be 427 customers for this vehicle in OZ ??
I doubt if you could sell 427 in Cali......in the whole US yes you could. Does any one know how the 427 Edition ZO6's have sold for example. Dealers near here have unsold ones in SOFLA. And this car is far beyond them in price and concept.

I really do like the car...I just hate to see any more negatives in the genre.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Do you suppose there will be 427 customers for this vehicle in OZ ??
I doubt if you could sell 427 in Cali......in the whole US yes you could. Does any one know how the 427 Edition ZO6's have sold for example. Dealers near here have unsold ones in SOFLA. And this car is far beyond them in price and concept.
It is not the US and yes they will sell 427.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've seen some talk about HSV W427 vs. ZR1, but the real analog here is the CTS-V:

More sophisticated Sigma chassis vs. "Sigma Lite" Zeta.

556 HP LSA vs. 505 HP LS7.

Upwards of $70,000 USD vs. $140,000 USD.

Limited Build Quantity (4-5000/yr?) vs. Extreme Exclusivity (427 total units).

If one could buy either with no concern to national borders, RHD vs. LHD, etc., then the choice seems clear. Exclusivity be damned.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I've seen some talk about HSV W427 vs. ZR1, but the real analog here is the CTS-V:

More sophisticated Sigma chassis vs. "Sigma Lite" Zeta.

556 HP LSA vs. 505 HP LS7.

Upwards of $70,000 USD vs. $140,000 USD.
Actually NO comparison as the 427 will go to RHD England the rest Australia.Also have grave doubts about the supposedly"sophisticated Sigma chassis"

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Actually NO comparison as the 427 will go to RHD England the rest Australia.Also have grave doubts about the supposedly"sophisticated Sigma chassis"
I do too since the Sigma looks to be replaced by a Zeta hybrid chassis in the coming years. Holden also looked at the Sigma initially and opted for Zeta.

Those are Australian prices, compare a fully loaded brand new BMW M3 in Australia against this bruiser and youll start to see that this machine is an absolute bargain.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Does the quality improve along with performance and the price tag?
Ugh, Read the article. Anyway, when will ford make a decent V8 powered Falcon. I'm sick of these all talk V8's which struggle to match it with a dated Holden designed V8. Australia prefers V8's to Turbo'd 6's, maybe ford should do some research hmmm.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
In how many threads must the ol' Dollar comparison be made?!!

You pay less for cars due to a market of scale. Larger population = larger market = greater sales per percentage of total market share. In 2007 16.06 million cars were sold in the USA compared to just over 1 million sales in Australia.

Companies can get away with selling cars at a lower cost in the USA due to the amount of cars they can sell. If a company makes $1 profit per car on a model with 10% market share they would be making over $1.6million in the USA. In Australia that profit figure would be roughly $100000. Yet in Australia, wages/taxes etc are comparable to that of USA, so Australian automotive distributors must raise the cost of each model to be financially viable.

Hence the reason you guys pay just $31000 for a Pontiac G8 GT and in Australia the comparitive model (Holden Commodore SSV) costs $54000+.

So consider yourself lucky that you live in a country where cheap vehicles seem to be a right rather than a privelege while I count my blessings that I live in a country where cars like the HSV W427 can actually be bought.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
The Cadillac 3.6 CTS is about $US35K in the US. When (if) it arrives here it will be about $US70K. So a $70K CTS-V - which can't be made in RHD anyway - would be probably $US150K if sold here. Holden could make the 427 RHD if they wanted to. Hell, HSV have LSA and LS9 engined mules running around and the next GTS will probably have the LSA too. Holden could probably build a 'G8' LS7 if they wanted.

FPV recently sold runout BF Cobra Falcons, only 400 sedans and 100 Utes if at $US65K each. Of a model that had died in the arse, no-one but died-in-the-wool Ford V8 buyers wanted; Ford's own turbo six at half the dollars is quicker. Buyers basically paid over the odds for a limited build car that was nothing but a stripe pack on a minutely more powerful GT Falcon.

They sold the lot pre-availability. They're already changing hands for more than they sold at full retail. HSV will sell 427 easily and within a year or so will be worth 20% more.

As far as Sigma vs Zeta? Holden developed both for GM and rejected Sigma as too expensive and narrow for a Holden at entry pricing. Zeta is really Sigma Mk II enlarged and made cost-effective. As Sigma is going, and future Zeta will feature alloy members which Holden has experience of, I guess you can see which one wins....

·
Registered
286 Posts
150k is a lot... anyone know how much the CSV 7.0L car is going for?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts