GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Ford updated the 3.0 V6 in the Escape/Mariner in January they said it would be rated at 230, up from 200. That has changed because the final numbers have come out and its rated at 240. Just to note fuel economy still goes up by 1.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28224

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
240 horsepower from a 3.0L V6 is pretty good, though I bet most of the credit for the acceleration increase, for the V6 or the new I4, goes to the better transmission.

When you say most, do you mean about 51% or so cuz I am thinking the 40 HP will do far more than a lightly lower 1st and 2nd gear can get you.

Regardless, nearly 2.0 secs shaved off your 0-60 times for both engines in impressive, all while getting better fuel economy.

What are the hybrid numbers? I bet about 35mpg. It should retain it's title as most fuel efficient SUV for a while.

·
Registered
928 Posts
This makes me really happy dont get me wrong, but what if Ford uses this as the V6 in the Fusion over the Duratec35!? I know 240 hp is plenty for a car in this class, but dont lie, if we had the 3.5L it could easily reach the 270 HP target to be on top with Altima.

Really good though that the escape will have 240 HP, could this be a negative to only be 25 less then the 3.5 in the Edge and cost a lot less?

I remember when they said the Edge would eat V6 Escape and Explorer sales and only I-4 Escapes and V8 Explorers would sell in big numbers, i dont think any explorers sell in big numbers at present.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
You have to wonder what they did with the Duratec 3.0 this time that they couldn't have done for the Escape, Fusion and Five Hundred four years ago. :mad:

That could have really helped their sales and image back then.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
This makes me really happy dont get me wrong, but what if Ford uses this as the V6 in the Fusion over the Duratec35!? I know 240 hp is plenty for a car in this class, but dont lie, if we had the 3.5L it could easily reach the 270 HP target to be on top with Altima.

Really good though that the escape will have 240 HP, could this be a negative to only be 25 less then the 3.5 in the Edge and cost a lot less?

I remember when they said the Edge would eat V6 Escape and Explorer sales and only I-4 Escapes and V8 Explorers would sell in big numbers, i dont think any explorers sell in big numbers at present.
the D30 tested in with additional extra 1 MPG

Hopefully the Fusion could get at least as much MPG with D35 as the Taurus (28mpg) - so +1 is 29mpg with V6 - that is pretty nice.

Igor

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
You have to wonder what they did with the Duratec 3.0 this time that they couldn't have done for the Escape, Fusion and Five Hundred four years ago. :mad:

That could have really helped their sales and image back then.

I seem to recall that the 3.0L was impressive back in the early 90's. Certainly more so than GM's crop of V6 engines.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Fords have the worst engines and transmissions. I've driven many explorers, mustangs, tauruses, rangers, etc. and they all vibrate when you hit the gas pedal. They're a chore to drive. GM cars feel like well made foreign cars in comparison. I love the new Fusion but I bet it too drives like an Edsel.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Fords have the worst engines and transmissions. I've driven many explorers, mustangs, tauruses, rangers, etc. and they all vibrate when you hit the gas pedal. They're a chore to drive. GM cars feel like well made foreign cars in comparison. I love the new Fusion but I bet it too drives like an Edsel.
Hmmm, how old were these cars, and I think GM and Ford have both made some bad engines, the 4 speed in my bonneville always is abrupt- even after serviceing. I think the 3.5L and 6 speed auto in my Edge are awesome, new fords drive very well as do the new GMs with a 6 speed. I think your driving old fords and newer or more advanced GM vehicles because they have a hell of alot more 4 speeds still roaming the streets. Also saying "foreign" is so skewed, are fiats, hyundais, isuzus, kias, and the ever un reliable MB good or better because they are foreign. I dont think so

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
This makes me really happy dont get me wrong, but what if Ford uses this as the V6 in the Fusion -
That could very possibly be a nice combination.

Thats one of the things thats been off here lately - very little in the 3 litre class.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Wow, your experience is so objective and spot on that a single tear rolls down Alan Mulally's face. And way to praise GM by saying that their cars are so great it's like they're NOT American. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I wonder if this V6 could also find a home under the hood of the Mustang even if it's the upcoming Duratec 35 who's planned to replace the old V6 4.0L? (I doubt they could install it under the hood of the Crown Vic however, since it'll retire soon and the Panther might be a bit too heavier for this V6)

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
the D30 tested in with additional extra 1 MPG

Hopefully the Fusion could get at least as much MPG with D35 as the Taurus (28mpg) - so +1 is 29mpg with V6 - that is pretty nice.

Igor
It would be somewhat surprising if by the time they get done tweaking it isn't at least 30 highway.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the mass market backed off the 3.5-3.7 engines and went back to 3.0-ish V6s.

They really don't need the power and every MPG counts now.
I don't see the industry going back to the ~3.0 V6 engines(not that I would complain), I do see the fuel economy and HP switching places to where increasing the fuel mileage will be more important than increasing the HP.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I don't see the industry going back to the ~3.0 V6 engines(not that I would complain), I do see the fuel economy and HP switching places to where increasing the fuel mileage will be more important than increasing the HP.
As of now, resale value for sh1tboxes like the Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift, Honda CRX, etc. are on the rise. More than ever people are opting for the smaller engine if given the choice, and are even downsizing in cars to save some money on gas. I'm pretty sure that most people will gravitate to a small V6 that has power as well as great gas mileage. Besides I think its getting insane how a typical mid-size car has 260+ hp on tap.

On another note, the Fusion, and whatever cars use the 3.0 should get more than just 1 mpg of improvement due to the weight difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts