GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - General Motors and Chevrolet have reached a three-year agreement with FOX-TV's "NFL Sunday" analyst Howie Long to be a divisional spokesperson for Chevrolet Trucks. In addition, Chevrolet will become the presenting sponsor for the annual "Howie Long's Tough Guys" television special.

Pete Langenhorst, Chevrolet retail advertising director, said the relationship provides Chevrolet with a marketing opportunity that has tremendous value given Long's popularity among a variety of audiences.

"Howie distinguished himself as a hall of fame football player, and his success as a broadcast analyst has made him one of the most readily identifiable personalities in sports today," Langenhorst said. "This partnership provides Chevy with a unique relationship in associating our products with someone of Howie's reach. We haven't scoped out all the details of a campaign, but from a big picture perspective we are very excited about developing something that is national in scope and localized in implementation."

As the presenting sponsor of Long's Tough Guy award program, Chevrolet will provide a truck to the overall winner. Chevrolet will also utilize a number of advertising platforms built around the program, which will air in January each year.

Long said he sees the new relationship with General Motors, in general, and Chevrolet in particular as a natural fit for him.

"I am thrilled at becoming a member of the General Motors family," Long noted. "I have had the opportunity to meet and speak with many of the key decision-makers at General Motors, and I look forward to being a vital member of the GM and Chevy Truck advertising and marketing teams in the years ahead."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Step up from radio shack I suppose.

Maybe that XLR he drove in the latest commercial he did was a precursor to this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by Chops@Jun 10 2004, 07:08 AM
Step up from radio shack I suppose.

Maybe that XLR he drove in the latest commercial he did was a precursor to this?
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

5,934 Posts
Hmm, that's part of marketing also. To have your products in some other products commercial. What was that ad for Pizza Hut, I think, and they had SSR's in it? Tire ads also sibliminaly hype certain cars. You see a car in the ad and you think its an for that vehicle, but it' actually a tire ad.

Yea, Howie's a 'guy's guy', cool.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Good spokesman wasted on a horribly antiquated product line. Desperation in GM Truckville. Maybe the advertising agencies could show Howie tackling a prospective truck buyer who opens the door of a Chevy and goes to Ford where interiors are more impressive. Howie could then give the customer his $250 rebate fulfillment form. Howie could pick himself off the floor afterwards and then adjust his suit and look into the mirror to make sure he looks good.

Ho hum. Chevy needs a real truck. They sell rebates and give away garbage.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
How about a female spokesperson who actually likes cars like that girl on Speedvision?

Mark

laserwizard: The url you are looking for is fordfanboy.com. You came the wrong web site.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
5,934 Posts
Selma Hayek

·
Registered
33 Posts
Getting the GM vehicles in TV Series, commercials, movies, etc. would be huge for their sales. That is what Ford did with this past season of 24 on Fox. They had all the new ford trucks & Suv's on that show. That was the only really dissapointing thing about the season. I am sure it worked well for Ford though... :angry:

Chevrolet had the car carrier commercial, directed by Bruckheimer that I thought was a really cool idea. They are really pushing the whole American Revolution tag line which is good... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts