GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something I've been wondering for a while. I have a feeling because of the different ideas of what a Camaro is, or was, a argument can be made for the Camaro to fit into each of the above answers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It needs to be cheap and mass produced.
So it will get some good aftermarket parts.
I want to see them pumped out like crazy.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
It all depends. If gas prices stop or go down soon, sales might pick up. If the Camaro is built, It will have to sell over 100k units. 60k at least be V6 sales. The V6 should give a sporty feel with good power, but nothing that will raise an eyebrow at your insurance company. I think there should be major work on the style and feel of the car. The car should feel good when driving, and become a nice car even when driven in the winter.
There will always be aftermarket parts. There are aftermarket parts for $100k cars, it doesnt matter. V6 sales should take up the low 20's and be able to be customized by the owner. Leave the V8 cars up to the big boys.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
GAS and INSURANCE. You tell me those figures and you can pridict sales figures. Gas is going up and I see an effort by insurance companies to put a damper on all the sports oriented cars.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The Camaro should compete with the Mustang. GM created the first Camaro to go head to head with the Mustang and it did a great job. Keep the Camaro affordable and don't expect huge sales numbers like 1969.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 4 2004, 03:16 AM
It all depends. If gas prices stop or go down soon, sales might pick up. If the Camaro is built, It will have to sell over 100k units. 60k at least be V6 sales. The V6 should give a sporty feel with good power, but nothing that will raise an eyebrow at your insurance company. I think there should be major work on the style and feel of the car. The car should feel good when driving, and become a nice car even when driven in the winter.
There will always be aftermarket parts. There are aftermarket parts for $100k cars, it doesnt matter. V6 sales should take up the low 20's and be able to be customized by the owner. Leave the V8 cars up to the big boys.
I agree, focus on the v6's for every day drivers and leave the v8's for all us enthusiasts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures or drawings of the new Camaro? I hadn't heard anything yet.

Are there any links to any articles online?

Ryan

·
Registered
43 Posts
sell better in the usa than canada, maybe around 30-40,000 per year. but their is not going to be a new camaro so this pointless.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think the v6/v8 ratio is more toward 75-80% v6 sales!
I HOPE it will be like that. if the 4th gen would have been designed and marketed for this kind of v6 sales, it would have been here as well as the God forbid rustang...
If they want voulume, they have to make an incredible v6, because only there they can sell massively.
Just imagine some sort of much cheaper 2 door cts, but lower and sportier, and you have a winner.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bigals87z28, i found but it does not say a new camaro!

2007 Chevrolet Sedan: Chevrolet and Pontiac are developing rear-drive cars with GM's Australian Holden division. Lead Chevy contender is a sport sedan based on the popular SS concept.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it will do well because many GM people are wanting something to go against the new mustang coming out. Also that many 4th gen. camaro owners are ready and able to purchase a new one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If insurance screws you over like they did with fourth-gens, then they won't sell many to the target demographic of 16-24 year olds. If that remains the same, best case I could see was a little better than the sales of the last 4th-gens.

·
Registered
710 Posts
By 2007 I will be over 30, have a kid or two, and
my GM card will be loaded up and ready to burn!
Screw insurance, bring on a kicking 3v SS... :)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
If it looks good, and is an actual driveable car, and not just a sports car or a mini-vette, it will sell a lot. The V6 sales is what matters here. I dont think that GM is losing out tons upon tons of money in not having a Camaro to steal sales from teh stang. I think Chevy needs a new rwd coupe, but it needs to feel good. If any of you have sat in a new GTO, that is around the right hight for a Camaro. Its higher then the last 2 gens, but lower then a sedan. Its easy getting in and out, and feels more like a daily driver kind of car then an all-out sports car.
Also, I dont think that the Camaro V8 models should be able to be obtained by anyone under 20 years of age. When mommy and daddy get thier kid a new 385hp Camaro, hes gunna wrap it around a pole. I think making the V6 cars appeal to the kids, and suck them into the Camaro name, they will want the feel of a V8 soon, and they will trade the car. Find any V6 camaro or firebird and ask them would they upgrade to a V8 model, and I bet you will be hard pressed to find someone that would be set on the V6. Getting kids into V6 cars and having options to customize it will attract on-the-fence kids that dont want an import, but want something that is there own. after 3-4 years, they will be older and understand what goes along with a V8 car, and they will get one. The V6 model needs to be very attractive and be able to keep up with the best out there for the price, so thats SRT4's, V6 mustangs, along with RX8's. GM can do it, they have the tools, lets make it happen.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I wonder if the die hard Camaro fans would be happy if GM brought back the Camaro but instead of starting with a V6 what if the base engine was a four or five cylinder engine? This would allow for even better fuel economy numbers. It would be cheaper than cylinder deactivation technology, low price. Yes many fans will complain that this is a mistake but a new Camaro would be better than no Camaro. High sales volumes would also ensure the long term survival and might be a serious threat to the Mustang. I would want GM to still offer a V8 because without a small block using the Camaro name would be a mistake.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
if the car is light and well geared, it's economic too... I sure hope it won't become a civic si...
the base v6 should have around 220-230hp, but lighter than the base rustang.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Canuck@Apr 30 2004, 07:32 PM
I wonder if the die hard Camaro fans would be happy if GM brought back the Camaro but instead of starting with a V6 what if the base engine was a four or five cylinder engine? This would allow for even better fuel economy numbers. It would be cheaper than cylinder deactivation technology, low price. Yes many fans will complain that this is a mistake but a new Camaro would be better than no Camaro. High sales volumes would also ensure the long term survival and might be a serious threat to the Mustang. I would want GM to still offer a V8 because without a small block using the Camaro name would be a mistake.
If a I5 or I4 give the same power as a V6 and gets better fuel economy, that would be fine. Why freak out then?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Gents, I hate to say, given the depth of support the Camaro has around here, but I have serious, serious doubts about whether a Camaro would an economically viable car today.

Do we all remember the last Camaros? Terrific cars. Miles beyond their Mustang competition of the time (I remember with pain the Mustang convertible I paid huge to rent in 1996 - godawful machine). Yet the Mustangs outsold them by a wide margin. I recall seeing the numbers once, and being staggared at how such a bad car as the cobbled together, Fairmont hand-me-down Mustangs could outsell such substantially better competition.

Everyone here is going to scream, but Mustang has a kind of enduring magic in the broad car-buying public's mind that Camaro will never have. (Note the fact we call these ponycars - pony, as in horse as in Mustang.) And to compete with the new Mustang, a new Camaro would have to appeal to the broad car-buying public - 100,000 units a year will be needed to sustain the ponycar formula which means cheap, and therefore means high production. I just don't think the ponycar market can support two cars today, and Ford has a HUGE advantage with the Mustang name.

Hate to say it, but I doubt a Camaro's going to happen. Blame the SUV's. They've eaten the young male market that used to support ponycars.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts