GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ensure your tires are aired to proper levels as found on the tire placard. Make sure you have a clean air filter. Anticipate traffic congestion and stop lights. Just because you get to the stop light before anyone else doesn't mean you're cool! Avoid having excess weight in the car (i.e. clean out your trunk and floorboards)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hope to high heaven the car you buy is a ringer, and not a spoiler that does not reward your grandfatherly driving style.:rolleyes:

Use cruise control.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Try to drive as if you don't have any brakes (as long as you don't make people behind you mad) and go VERY easy on the gas pedal.

Keep your car tuned up (easy now days), keep your tires inflated, buy low rolling resistance tires, keep extra weight out of your car.

Try and avoid short trips with cold starts. Instead of a bunch of trips to town during the week try to hit all the stops in one big trip so you minimize the # of cold starts. When the car is cold it uses a LOT more fuel. I've also heard that you should go to the farthest stop first so you can warm up the car with continuous driving. Kind of makes sense. Then hit all your other stops on the way back after the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
If you have a manual car...

On a congested or stop n' go highway, leave the car in 1st or 2nd gear and allow about 5-7 car lengths ahead of you. If you are good at engine braking and shifting, you can minimize complete stops.

Idling in neutral and launching a vehicle in 1st waste more gas than cruising and engine braking in 1st and 2nd.

One time I drove through a congested 15 mile stretch and pressed the brake pedal only three times by controlling my distance and working the gears.

I read this site about 8 years ago... and its ideas have stuck with me since:

http://trafficwaves.org/

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
1.) Combine and or eliminate trips.

2.) Refuel at the coolest (fuel station tank temperature ) - time of the day.

3.) Record and monitor your fuel consumption - 'get on it' if and when it drops - beyond seasonal/use factor inducements etc.

4.) Minimize fuel tank moisture condensation. If you must drive around a 1/2 a tank at a time switch from half to low over to full to half.

5.) Look for and do whats necessary to maintain a low carbon or carbon free tailpipe ( - free all the time if OBD 2 equipped )

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Don't drive like an idiot, i.e., don't floor it when a light turns green, and don't race up to a red light and slam on your brakes.
+1

Drive naked and on an empty stomach it reduces weight. Don't come to a complete stop when picking up/dropping off friends and family.
+20

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Rolling clutch start if you have a manual. Drafting while on the highway... so as long as you don't crash. Lightweight wheels with helium filled tires.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Well Im sure someone covered it somewhere but I run Acetone in my old YJ and in my car....better power, better milage....

VERY noticable in my YJ...not as much in the Car but prolly I guess aroud 15% incresse in milage maybe a bit more.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
If you own a SUV reduce weight. Taking out the second and third row is a great start it reduces weight, gives you a few extra Miles per gallon, and it gives you a bigger cargo floor

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Cruise control will actually lower your milage if you're not on a flat road.
Not necessarily. Most people are not that precise in maintaining their speeds, even in hilly terrain. Unless you make it an obsession, most will not beat the cruise control when they drive "manually."

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Well Im sure someone covered it somewhere but I run Acetone in my old YJ and in my car....better power, better milage....

VERY noticable in my YJ...not as much in the Car but prolly I guess aroud 15% incresse in milage maybe a bit more.
I thought you were full of it. But sure enough, there's all kinds if stuff on the internet about it. I've got nothing but questions right now, but I'll see what I can come up with elsewhere first--I am intrigued.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
What is it with these trolls coming in and starting Please Discuss threads?

Writing a term paper?
On drugs?
Bored?
Never coming back? Hoping so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts