GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am working on 450 to 500 HP. But it is not the HP as it is the sound and feel of the ride. It has to be under 4 second 0 to 60 and top speed of at least 150 and 1/4 of 11.1 to 11.9. Also it has to be able to do at least .9 g on the skidpad.

Hopefully my ride will be there in 2 years....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, it totally depends on the car. My car is pushing a little less than 400HP, but its borderline unsafe because it is a 25 year old car, with 25 year old suspension, and marginal brakes. Then again a 4th gen F-Body w/ more power is perfectly safe because its a newer car w/ superior parts.
I would "too much" would be something of over 400HP that could not stop about as well as a newer midsize car. A car that could lose traction in 1-4th gear at any speed would be pretty wild as well.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am into 0-60 mph. Screw horsepower, I want 1000 lbs pf torque. Phil Hill, the former American Formula 1 Champion who drove for Ferrari was asked if he owned a Ferrari. No he said I do not. Why don't you? I don't own one because I would be constantly frustrated driving it. I could never use the potential of a Ferrari on any U.S. public roads except in very few situations without causing an accident. Thats also my point. Get me to sixty in 3.2 seconds. I can live with a top speed of 80. I guess I need a very large deisel.

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
Originally posted by atomicshark@Jul 13 2004, 10:08 PM
Maybe HP should not be limited. It all boils down to the skill of the driver.
And the US has the least stringent regulations when it comes to getting a drivers license.

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
I guess it really all depends. Some cars have 230 HP (ie - mine) and are limited at 155 mph. (I've taken it to 149.)

You can have 200-300-400-500 HP... but it really doesn't matter. It's how you drive the car.
Sure... I got my first speeding ticket in my 2000 Saab, after driving an SL2 for almost a decade with no ticket. Fact of the matter is... if you've got a fast car, you're going to be very tempted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts