·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How GM Could Raise SS Sales
By Logansteno: GM Aficionado
Saturday 8:11pm

This is pretty simple really, and could actually make it a competitor of the Charger on all levels.

How GM Could Raise SS Sales.Expand

First, change the name. Call the damn thing Commodore like it actually is.

Second, there needs to be more trim levels. Everything from LS to SS.

LS:

3.6L V6 pair to 6-speed manual or automatic

Cloth seats with manual adjustment

1LT:

3.6L V6 paired to 6-speed manual or auto

Cloth seats with power drivers seat, optional leather w/ heaters

Standard full-size MyLink screen, optional Navigation

Optional sunroof

2LT:

Same as 1LT, but with 6.2L V8

Optional MagRide

LTZ:

3.6L V6 or 6.2L V8, 6-speed auto only

MagRide optional on V6, standard on V8.

Standard heated Leather with driver and passenger power adjustment

Standard Full-size MyLink with Navigation

Optional Sunroof

Fog lights front and rear

SS:

6.2L V8, 6-speed manual only

Standard MagRide w/ track mode

Leather w/alacantara inserts in seats and on steering wheel/shifter.

Optional Competition front seats from Corvette

MyLink with performance data recorder

Performance brakes

Third, MARKET THE DAMN THING. How do you think Dodge sells so many Chargers? Because they market the **** out of them. I don't think I've seen a single commercial for the SS.

Fourth, when production comes to a close on Oz, bring it to America. This car is too good to kill off after so little model years in America.

*Full Article at Link

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Though I love the car, I'm beginning to wonder why GM even brought this Holden back. There doesn't seem to be any support or marketing for the car, and I'm sure most of the general public doesn't even know it exist. And the trickle of sales seems to support.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I doubt GM WANTS to increase sales of the COMMIE-come-SS as NOW with LOW sales and LOW marketing it can go away with Holden and there will be little "noise" for a replacement as I doubt GM WANTS a replacement

but I do have to say your formula EXCEPT the stick ONLY on the SS trim car would increase sales IF GM lowers the prices to MATCH up with the charger/Camaro price range

I personally would "align" the packages with the Camaro and MAKE the HSV a "limited" top edition
LT
LTZ
SS
HSV
LT LTZ cars are v6 commie SV6 cars LT being cloth and LTZ being leather (NO price leader LS ALL cars come nicely equipped)
SS same as the LT-LTZ but with the 6.2 V8 this is targeted as the "VOLUME" model and offers various options from big brake kits to "racing" seats from the VETTE

here is where the "FUN" begins the Chevy Commodore HSV IS the HSV made for America, body kit and all sold in LIMITED numbers and ALL cars are NUMBERED "down under" delivery available including a tour of Holden AND HSV

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Note it says increase sales, not increase profits. I suspect there is probably a reason GM picked what is likely the highest-margin variant to import. That's also why there isn't a lot of advertising (outside of the NASCAR sponsorship). The goal is to make money on each car, not sell substantially more cars at lower margins (or a loss!). It'll be interesting to see if this approach works.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The exterior(or at least the front) needs to be redesigned (don't let any Holden designers with their love of bland touch the design!) and the new Gen V (LT-1) needs to replace the LS-3. Sales will follow.

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
There just wont be a large family of RWD vehicles as long as FWD sells far more. The Dodge Charger/300 lineup is a crap example because they dont have a midsize/compact car that sells enough to even make a mention of it. They HAVE to sell the Charger/300 in higher numbers plus the fleet rate is outrageous and the resell blows.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The SS is being given exactly the same attention that GM gave the Pontiac G8 - NONE... No real marketing campaign at all - zip - zero - nadda...

In the end, GM doesn't WANT to sell such cars at all. There really haven't been that many for the Camaro or Corvette either, when you think about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
GM has screwed it up. Its a car certified for US sales and could be a low volume wagon and BLOODY UTE MATE!
but no...The union and Canadian government (2 of the biggest owners) don't want a bar of Australia.
In Australia Holden (and GM) is deader than paisley shirts and flares maaate:)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The SS is being given exactly the same attention that GM gave the Pontiac G8 - NONE... No real marketing campaign at all - zip - zero - nadda...

In the end, GM doesn't WANT to sell such cars at all. There really haven't been that many for the Camaro or Corvette either, when you think about it.
The SS sedan is the designated Chevrolet race car in NASCAR's popular Sprint Cup Series. There's a multi-million dollar marketing campaign invested in it annually. Has GM recouped a solid return? Only if you consider the SS won the driver championship the past two years as well as winning the manufacturers award but NASCAR fans apparently can't afford a near $50K Chevy sedan.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Believe it or not most would prefer to have the SS in an automatic . Read the many comments in Chevy SS forums online and women really enjoy driving and purchasing or being part of that process . Their kids get a real kick out of riding in it . For families , the automatic is first choice , just recognize that people who want a manual are very much in the minority . Keep the automatic , it would take a weekend racer using the manual to beat the times of the automatic . I estimate that the 2015 with the manual shift will be outsold 2 to 1 by the automatic model . Where Chevy can have some fun is to offer a BASE Chevy , also in Coupe style , and you can order the base with just minimal features , but you can get the LS3 415hp or more potent motor and a choice of differential / suspension upgrade . Chevy in the old days didn't force you to buy only the top end model to get the big motor , lets get back to this type of accomodation by Chevy !! Add whatever labels or chrome bezels you want to suite your fancy . People who want it all can order the Chevy SS as it is sold today .People complain about the price , well , just go over the list of included accessories / devices included on this real mid sized sedan/beast and try to work out a lower price , it ain't going to happen !!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This article sums up exactly what G8 fans have said since the SS was announced. He basically breaks it down to offering a full G8 replacement instead of just the GXP.

The SS sedan is the designated Chevrolet race car in NASCAR's popular Sprint Cup Series. There's a multi-million dollar marketing campaign invested in it annually. Has GM recouped a solid return? Only if you consider the SS won the driver championship the past two years as well as winning the manufacturers award but NASCAR fans apparently can't afford a near $50K Chevy sedan.
Sorry, but I don't think the nascar tie in should can really be counted as SS advertising. Anyone with half a brain knows there is absolutely zero correlation between those cars and what you get in a dealership.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Saying it has an absurd price is crap. Show me a car sold today with the exact same features for less please.
That's the point. The car is available ONLY as a highly appointed luxury car. As a performance car, it is indeed overpriced. And the point is, Chevy could certainly have increased SS sales by offering more options, just as the G8 had.

But, as the ONLY choice.....I ordered one to replace my G8.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You and I clearly have very different ideas of what a luxury car is. However, and more to the point, it's been shown over and over again that adjusted for inflation and added content, the SS is priced perfectly in line with the GXP. The contention seems to surround the fact that it has only one trim level. And personally, that's the best part about it to me. It's a one way ticket to the no posers allowed club.

Congrats on the purchase, I am very envious. Hope you got one in black as that's the one I want!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
It feels like GM went all VW Phaeton on us with the Chevy SS - a strictly higher-end performance vehicle with no other even slightly more volume level trim. I really think they should have used this as a rebirth of the Pontiac G8... from volume, impressive 300+ HP V6 version to the SS... But not quite sure what they really want with this. I feel like this isn't the right halo vehicle for Chevy.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The #1 problem with this idea:

The strength of the AUD. Not only is the car built on the AUD, but most of its components are, too, since AU cars have a very high AU-market supply base. That alone makes the Commodore a non-starter in the US market. Which is why only the top trim levels and engines are offered in America. The higher profit margins at that end of the market make the SS a viable product.

Pontiac tried an idea similar to this in 2008/09 with the G8 V6, GT V8, and GXP. It lost big bucks for GMNA.

Also, the Zeta platform is going into its 10th season on the market for 2015. By the time production ceases in 2017, it'll have lived a full life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts