·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How General Motors' Radical 2016 Cadillac CT6 Will Try to Beat the Germans
Motley Fool
October 5, 2014
By: John Rosevear

Yes, the brand's U.S. sales are down this year. Yes, it's still lacking strong products in some of the industry's most important segments.

But it may soon be time to start taking Cadillac very seriously.

General Motors' (NYSE: GM) global product chief Mark Reuss shared some details on several upcoming new Cadillacs on Wednesday, including the all-new CT6 super-sedan that is set to debut next year.

And one thing is becoming very clear: GM is not messing around anymore.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
CUE needs to fixed with buttons and knobs added. The interior needs to look more luxurious, not a blob of black plastic on the dash.
Clearly the CTS styling is too radical or awkward for most folks, the design needs to change, maybe Art & Science needs to be jettisoned altogether for a new design direction.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The B that works in the office above mine drives a new CTS V-Sport and generally parks it right outside my window, its really grown on my looks wise, I HATED it when I first saw pictures, but after really seeing it in person, almost every day, its a really sexy design. I'm really excited for the new changes coming, I'm getting closer and closer to needing a replacement for my 2007 SRX, and the current one just ain't doing it for me, I want to see the redesign and the new ones that are supposed to be flanking it on top and bottom....

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Cadillac already needs to be taken seriously. Almost every product they sell is one of the best in the segment. The key to the CT6's success will be making a proper flagship sedan for their respective brand, not just being an American S-Class. Porsche, Jaguar, and Maserati know this.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
CUE needs to fixed with buttons and knobs added. The interior needs to look more luxurious, not a blob of black plastic on the dash.
Clearly the CTS styling is too radical or awkward for most folks, the design needs to change, maybe Art & Science needs to be jettisoned altogether for a new design direction.
Far from it. Again, the only styling problem the CTS has is the rear. The interior is fine.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Why is this a new thread since there is no new information here?
But as long as the subject has been reopened, why ISN'T this a 7, 8, S Class competitor? Sounds like the aspiration is to beat Equus...or...be what XTS should have been. It was announced that it is 8 inches longer than the CTS which makes it only an inch longer than the XTS. Based on size and (expected) pricing is LS 460 the direct competition...or a tweener between E Class and S Class? Nothing like shooting low (relative to the pinnacle of the sedan market) and nailing it.

That said, I am gaining confidence that this will be the best Cadillac ever, but if it isn't playing with the big boys, what is the point? Is anyone else confused about the positioning of this car?

·
Registered
990 Posts
By the looks of this car, it is a short wheelbase. The CT6 short-wheelbase model by length is on average or longer than any short-wheelbase competitors in the class.

So this car easily competes with the elite of the S Class (short-wheelbase), 7 Series, Equus, A8, Ls 460 and XJ.

Maybe Cadillac will have a long-wheel base in the works for the CT6.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
But as long as the subject has been reopened, why ISN'T this a 7, 8, S Class competitor? Sounds like the aspiration is to beat Equus...or...be what XTS should have been. It was announced that it is 8 inches longer than the CTS which makes it only an inch longer than the XTS. Based on size and (expected) pricing is LS 460 the direct competition...or a tweener between E Class and S Class? Nothing like shooting low (relative to the pinnacle of the sedan market) and nailing it.

That said, I am gaining confidence that this will be the best Cadillac ever, but if it isn't playing with the big boys, what is the point? Is anyone else confused about the positioning of this car?
My take from the article was that Cadillac thinks this car will be better than the German brands, hence them saying it won't be competition. Basically, it's going to be so good that it will blow the other cars out of the water.

Now if that's the case, I highly doubt the first generation car will do just that. It has taken CTS three generations to become a class leading type car. That's what I expect from the CT6.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
CUE is not going back to Nobs from what I hear, improvements yes, nobs.. train left station
My take from the article was that Cadillac thinks this car will be better than the German brands, hence them saying it won't be competition. Basically, it's going to be so good that it will blow the other cars out of the water.

Now if that's the case, I highly doubt the first generation car will do just that. It has taken CTS three generations to become a class leading type car. That's what I expect from the CT6.

Considering its lighter than the XJ and the CTS, that must send fear down the spines of a lot of European Engineering houses. Clearly, from an Engineering standpoint, the CTS safe for Engine now is superior by far to anyone in its class, especially with the addition of the inhouse 8 Speed

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

If this was true, why have they stated they are developing at least 2 more cars to be positioned above the CT6? Your last sentence is right on.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
CUE is not going back to Nobs from what I hear, improvements yes, nobs.. train left station

Considering its lighter than the XJ and the CTS, that must send fear down the spines of a lot of European Engineering houses. Clearly, from an Engineering standpoint, the CTS safe for Engine now is superior by far to anyone in its class, especially with the addition of the inhouse 8 Speed
I don't know about nobs; but knobs would be nice. Indeed they are far more useful than that fingerprint laden Atari screen in the middle of the instrument panel.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts

My guess is that rather than doing the same sausage different lengths like the SWB/LWB Jag and German competition, Cadillac have decided to make two distinct sedans using most of the same running gear and internal structures.

One SWB the CT6 and another LWB, the CT7 or CT8. so for not a lot more investment it'll look like Cadillac came out with two completely new model lines a year or so apart.

This gives Cadillac much more publicity in various media outlets than if they did the same car in different lengths. It makes Cadillac look like even more of mover and shaker in the automotive World in the eyes of the average buyer/general public.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If this was true, why have they stated they are developing at least 2 more cars to be positioned above the CT6? Your last sentence is right on.
I'm assuming we are going to get a Halo car (Elmiraj) and possibly a roadster type car from Cadillac (XLR) at some point in the future. At least, that's what I've been reading about. However, could Cadillac possibly be planning to introduce a LWB version of this car (CT7?).

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Could not disagree with everything you said more. Cadillac transaction prices are higher now that is why the sales are down it has nothing to do with anything you stated. I am one of those people that agree they are on the right track it takes time for the market to adjust....Benz and BMW took some time like decades to get to the numbers they are at in the US.

Oh and GM please shut up about it not being a true competitor you are already knocking the car before it comes out. This happened to the XTS and all the reviews could do is talk about how even GM admits it is not this or that. I have never seen a company that knocks their own cars before anyone else can. GM does it all the time and they are worse at it with Cadillac.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I'm assuming we are going to get a Halo car (Elmiraj) and possibly a roadster type car from Cadillac (XLR) at some point in the future. At least, that's what I've been reading about. However, could Cadillac possibly be planning to introduce a LWB version of this car (CT7?).
I read on one site that at that investor event Mark Reuss confirmed the Elmiraj is a go for production. I only read it reported at that site (Jalopnik?) so it could be someone adding 2 + 2 and getting =5.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts