GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buick scored right behind Lexus in the 2004 dependability survey - again far on top of many brands and even some of GM's other brands that share platforms with it.

Here's the question. How does Buick rate with such a superior product, when other GM divisions share Buick product like Rainier (Tblazer), LeSabre (Bonneville), etc.

How will the Terraza CSV do better than the Venture did with the same factory workers and same basic product in a DEPENDABILITY survey?

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is simply an obvious example of why long-term dependability studies are crocks of steaming bull-crap. There is no accounting of driving habits, maintenance frequencies, economic status of owners, miles driven, etc.

Why is Lexus on top? I would think that they don't break because old people drive them in upper class suburbia. That's the main demographic for this brand, and it would stand to reason that a car that never sits in stop and go traffic and putt-putts to the golf-course a few times a week will last longer than a car that gets beat on everyday like a normal car.

Buicks have much the same demographic, but are accessible to more poor people, who actually have to drive their cars to work everyday and don't always service their vehicle on time, and these people would naturally bring down the "quality" somewhat.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Another really good point I've seen made (which, sadly, redounds to the benefit of Toyota) is that some people are more apt to complain than others. It is suggested that older people complain less about their cars that younger folks - they remember when a two-year old car was getting maybe a little undependable. People who read total weenie publications like Conumer Reports are likely to complain if you so much as look at 'em funny. (Which is why no one wants to hang around with Consumer Reports readers.)

The reason I say this helps Toyota, is that you would expect Toyota buyers - a Consumer Reports kinda crowd - to complain heavily. And yet Toyotas have great quality/durability scores. Buicks, meanwhile, are owned by pliant older folks, who are apt to let a few things slide.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, but you are forgetting the "My toyota doesn't break" attitude. I know a woman who says her 1995 Camry has never given her problems. All she's had to do is replace the engine, tranny, PCM, and passenger side power windows!! That's pretty good, right? :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is simply an obvious example of why long-term dependability studies are crocks of steaming bull-crap. There is no accounting of driving habits, maintenance frequencies, economic status of owners, miles driven, etc.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts