133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subject: '95 Chev C-3500 HD TD bought new Nov '96

milege=5857 replace clutch/related parts...warranty
milege=9898 replace flywheel..........warranty
milege=22850 replace clutch.............warranty
milege=63524 replace clutch/related parts.....cost me $1082
milege=100,911replace clutch/related parts........cost me $1300

I am the only driver (mature male) truck never abused.

Any GM tech know what's really wrong w/this drivetrain?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you pulling and what kind of terrain?

Bobcat, seldom outside city limits, flat city streets, very seldom over 45mph. As an indication of how it's driven, the original brakes lasted over 90,000 miles.

I seeked out a straight drive to avoid excessive repairs (automatics), after 80 years, you'd think GM would have the clutch thing figured out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably crank to tranny misalignment.
I've thought about that. The original dual mass set-up was changed (note flywheel change out) early on. Couldn't lanuch truck w/o violent shuddering. Later on had to replace trans cone and a gear # 4.351. I saw clutch when it was out. The friction lining was maybe 1/4" thick and torn off in big chunks. Why? This was the first repairs I had to pay for (along w/another new clutch), and interestingly enough, the first time the truck drove decent.

What's the trans cone and gear referred to? I have all exact part #'s.

Sadly, it drove decent less than 37,000 miles

·
Registered
902 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your truck.Next time buy an automatic if you do not like replacing clutches on your 1 ton truck.I think you are doing allright considering the truck is 13 years old.From 63k-100k you went through 1 clutch.How long do you think a clutch is suppose to last on a 1 ton truck that pulls a Bobcat?I know it is adult driven right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing wrong with your truck.Next time buy an automatic if you do not like replacing clutches on your 1 ton truck.I think you are doing allright considering the truck is 13 years old.From 63k-100k you went through 1 clutch.How long do you think a clutch is suppose to last on a 1 ton truck that pulls a Bobcat?I know it is adult driven right?
Are you sure you understand what a 95 3500 HD is? Straight I beam front axle, 5 speed w/granny low, 19.5" wheels, duelly, mine has factory 5:13 gears. Guys around here normally pull Bobcats w/Ford F-250s. I have never slipped clutch (super low gearing). I can easily idle off in first w/bobcat in tow. You have no problem with a HD truck that needs 4 clutches in 100,000 miles? I would expect to replace clutch at around 100,000 not 37,000. The Bobcat and trailer weighs about 8000#, or about the same as tow capacity for Tahoe. Maybe you misread Backhoe for Bobcat.

"I know it is adult driven right?" What does that mean? Answer is yes, I am owner/operator. How does the "13 years old" factor in? Unless the clutch rusts to flywheel (and I know that can happen), how has age damaged clutch assby?

You have been helpful with past questions, I can only assume there is a mis-communication here, somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your truck.Next time buy an automatic if you do not like replacing clutches on your 1 ton truck.
That's the standard GM line... Buy an Automatic or buy from someone else.

I think you are doing allright considering the truck is 13 years old.From 63k-100k you went through 1 clutch.How long do you think a clutch is suppose to last on a 1 ton truck that pulls a Bobcat?I know it is adult driven right?
A 3500HD towing a bobcat on flat land ought to keep a clutch for at least 100k.

I'd strongly suggest that the dualmass flywheel, throwout bearing, and linkage be checked. I'd be willing to bet that the clutch isn't engaging fully, or disengaging fully, slipping, glazing the plate, and shuttering across the hard spots.

just a thought...;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had a roofing co and hall shingles from job to job the avg clutch lasted 65000 to 80000
miles then 120,000 to 140,000 gm has great clutches the fords i got about 50,000 to
75000 i had five to nine trucks on the road all working hard most drivers were 21 to 35
and had problems

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's the standard GM line... Buy an Automatic or buy from someone else.

A 3500HD towing a bobcat on flat land ought to keep a clutch for at least 100k.

I'd strongly suggest that the dualmass flywheel, throwout bearing, and linkage be checked. I'd be willing to bet that the clutch isn't engaging fully, or disengaging fully, slipping, glazing the plate, and shuttering across the hard spots.

just a thought...;)
You think a clutch should last 100 k in a 1 ton truck that tows a Bobcat?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dual-mass flywheel was one of the first warranty changeouts to solid flywheel.

yeah, I'll buy another Chevy. I grew up on 55 Chevys, Chevelles, Novas and of course the hallowed SBC!

I have the old clutch/pp, throw out bearing/arm/ball socket dealership pulled out. IMO, nothing wrong, needless parts change out. Clutch has 1/8" lining on both sides. PP has no hot spots, or warped leaf springs.

I took truck first to independent shop. They replaced clutch slave cylinder. Made release worse. Took em 4 days. I couldnt wait any longer took truck to dealership. They changed out all the parts listed above. I'm pretty sure had slave cylinder been properly bled, truck would have been fine. I understand the slave cylinder is a bear to bleed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts