GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this isn't exactly a tech question but it didn't really have a forum of which it fit under. (That I saw, sorry if I missed it.)

I have a 1987 Buick Riviera T-Type and I'm trying to clean it up a bit. The vehicle was originally my grandfathers which was given to my father. My father never drove it and gave it to my sister when she was old enough to drive, however, she has spilled make-up and many other things in the car before crashing it into a construction dumpster. I replaced the front bumper and have been driving it since then and decided to fix it up since it's a very nice vehicle and the touch screen computer system still works perfectly!

Before you start using technical jargon, please keep in mind that I've never worked on a vehicle before and could not replace the battery without a few hours to understand how it's being held in place. - Basically, I know how to operate it, check the fluid levels, and wash it off with a hose and microfiber cloth. I've never even changed the oil, I've taken it to be done.

Anyway, here are some photos...
You can click the thumbnails for a larger image.
I've also numbered each area so you can easily help me with a specific one. :)

As you can see, my back seats look great as they were never used much...

1) In this next picture, you can see that the ash tray still needs cleaned out from where my sister had make-up that spilled in it. Also, as you can tell she did not smoke as there are pennies in the tray. However, my grandfather did smoke so there is a bit of an oder but it's faded out for the most part. Aside from that, you can see some rust and paint chippings. What would be the best way to fix this?

2) This next shot is behind the drivers seat on the floor. My sister said there was a bag with oil and anti-freeze in it. When she lifted the bag, the stains were there...

3) I removed the floor mat to clean under the pedals and realized that the carpet had a stain as well...

4) This is an older picture, I've cleaned this area up a lot since the photo. Anyway, there was a plastic cover that was wrapped in leather that went over that hinge or what ever you'd like to call it where the seat reclines. What would be the best way to fix a plastic mold and repair the torn leather? (Basically the screws were pushed on until the thin piece of plastic broke... If you're clueless as to what I mean, let me know and I'll get a picture of it as well. Basically, it's the same as what happen on the seat controls of which you can see a bit in this picture.

5) In this next picture, I'm really not sure what type of material is used on the door. It's not plastic or leather I don't think, it's very unique and I never see anything like it on modern vehicles... Then again, I don't work on vehicles so I do not see inside very many of them. Anyway, it's stained and roughed up. If there is anything that cannot be fixed to a like-new status in this vehicle, this is probably one of them.

6) Not sure, but I am guessing this one is gum; many, many years ago... Do you know of any way to break this down without ruining the carpet. Also, I'm guessing a solution used for one of the above carpet stains can be used here also to clean out the dirt stains...

7) Just another carpet stain, I'm assuming it's another one that can be removed with one of the suggestions above. However, I want to be sure so I don't ruin anything. :)

8) On this one, a film like black cover on the gear shift has torn. I'm not sure what material this is made of. I'm sure I could cut a new one out if anyone could inform me as to what type of material it is.

9) This next one has some stains and well, I won't repeat myself. Anyway, there is also an area on it where the carpet is very thin as if it's been worn out. Is this fixable or would I have to replace it? Any idea where I could find an exact match to this one?

10) Here is my drivers side seat, it's a common problem you see on leather seats. However, I have no idea on how to fix it. Could someone please list specific products that you've had good results using and any other information that may not be detailed in the instructions.

11) Here there are some stains on the leather and I'd like to know how to remove them.

12) On this one, you can see that the color is rubbed off on the top of the steering wheel. I'm sure I could spray paint this but I'd like to know the proper way to recolor this.

13) This is a big one in a small size... It seems as if the black around the button is forming air pockets under it. Aside from that, I'm assuming I'd have to disassemble the panel to clean this throughly. Correct?

I greatly appreciate any help and look forward to fixing up this vehicle and learning a lot from the experience.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure why you cannot see the images, they are hosted on photobucket and work fine for me even after deleting my cookies.

You can view the album they are in by going to:
[ PhotoBucket Album ]

I've heard and used GooGone before, I'll have to go grab a bottle of that.

I've never used White Wall Cleaner or Simple Green, are these products available at most stores? Also, as for cleaning large areas of the carpet, what would you suggest?

Anyway, about the leather, I was reading some things online and came across an article on About.com mentioning the use of Gliptone Liquid Leather Scuff Master, have any of you tried the Gliptone products?

What is Heavy Leather Flashing? I googled it and just found a bunch of plastic toys with flashing lights. hehe

Also, any ideas on repairing the broken plastic molds?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
for the odor, the only thing that really elinates it is an ozone machine, we have one at our shop. My only problem w/ it is it ends up w/ a slight bleach smell, which I can't stand. Some find it clean and refreshing, not me.

for the carpet stains, you simply need a hot water extracter. You wont get it perfect but will be cleaner. I am sure there is replacment carpet out ther if you want to buy new.

The seats are just showing years of wear and can not be cleaned to new, they would need to be replaced. It shows impropper care and lack of conditioning.

The stains on the wheel and such just need a good leather cleaner and conditioner along w/ much elbow grease.

for the ashtray and door panels, just take your time w/ a light cleaner (not armoral) take your time and have fun

·
Registered
568 Posts
For carpet and rugs, I'll take the carpet out of the car, throw it on the driveway, and clean it with the hose, a bucket of soapy water, and a scrub brush. If you've got really bad stains, you can buy some upholstery cleaner. Let that soak awhile and try scrubbing again. Usually works for me.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I'll post more tomorrow...

Since my Reatta stole your T-Type's interior, I know it fairly well. The wrinkles on the door panel are permanent, presumably from sweat from your arms...

The shifter "tape" can be replaced, search the reatta.net board because there's been a couple good write ups on it.

BTW have you properly tested and bled your brake system for maintenance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For carpet and rugs, I'll take the carpet out of the car, throw it on the driveway, and clean it with the hose, a bucket of soapy water, and a scrub brush. If you've got really bad stains, you can buy some upholstery cleaner. Let that soak awhile and try scrubbing again. Usually works for me.
Thanks, but I'd prefer not taking the carpet out as I have never worked on a vehicle before and would not know where to begin. Not to mention, I do not have room to do it. I don't have access to a garage or a paved driveway...

I'll post more tomorrow...

Since my Reatta stole your T-Type's interior, I know it fairly well. The wrinkles on the door panel are permanent, presumably from sweat from your arms...

The shifter "tape" can be replaced, search the reatta.net board because there's been a couple good write ups on it.

BTW have you properly tested and bled your brake system for maintenance?
Hello, thanks for the helpful advice. I suppose I'll have to find a new door panel, sucks because the stains were there prior to me getting the car. I'll have a look on the forum you mentioned about the shifter tape, would be helpful if you could post the information here or a link to a helpful topic though.

About the breaks, I know very little about vehicles so I do not know what you mean when you say "properly tested and bled your break system". All I know is that the breaks were really worn when I got the vehicle and I had the breaks and rotors replaced.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks F14 but do you know what sort of tape is on them as I'd like to replace the tape instead of just removing it. Is it just a vynil material with some sort of adhesive or something? Where can I find/buy this tape/material?

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.