1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloomberg.com
May 31, 2021

The hulk of a 1960 Jaguar XK150S 3.8 S Drophead Coupé. Photo Credit: Bonhams

Some cars are so special that even if you find the scattered pieces of one, you should buy it, says Jay Leno. He should know—in the years since his final night hosting The Tonight Show, the 71-year-old car enthusiast has hosted the popular Jay Leno’s Garage on NBC and YouTube and grown what is one of the most valuable and diverse car collections in the world.

That philosophy certainly applied to a 1960 Jaguar XK150 S that sold for $127,552 in a Bonhams auction May 22. The hammer price on the crumpled, patina-riddled drophead coupe was six times over the sale estimate.

Sales of classic and collectable cars across the world have returned healthy numbers in recent weeks, with Bonhams and RM Sotheby’s selling more than $60 million worth of old cars in a single weekend in Florida. Dozens of the six- and seven-figure cars at the Amelia Island auctions sold for far more than even the high side of their estimated values.

The “barn find” is a segment of car collecting that has exploded in the past year, with garages and restoration shops bulging at the seams with businesses. The term “barn find” applies to any variety of derelict vehicles that have been left forgotten for decades; they come in various states of disrepair—from rusted-out bodies and frames to non-existent or half-missing components like seats, brakes, headlights, wheels, and even engines. Most are riddled with cracked paint...and worse. Rodents living in the underbody, inhabited by stray cats, and covered in droppings from birds and bats are all expected scenarios. At least one I know of is rumored to be protected by a malicious ghost.

Amid Covid-19 fears, “car guys” have more time than ever to tinker in the shop or send their heretofore tabled restoration projects to the shop. But there must be more than bullish pandemic-pent-up buyers to make a smashed car worthy of such a high price. The Jaguar model itself is special enough to merit barn-find project status, even if the sum of its auction-price and the amount of money spent on restoring it might exceed the resulting value.

“To be honest, we don’t really know why that much money is being spent,” says John Mayhead, the manager of Hagerty’s automotive Intelligence in the UK. He noted that sometimes it’s about timing—the exact right buyer finds the exact perfect project, and the two just click. Other times, it’s about becoming a part of history: “The story to it sometimes encourages buyers to pay over the odds,” Mayhead says. “Owning a car like this is about continuing that story, and you want to be a part of it.”

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about storing my Jaguar in a barn for investment purposes...

Question: Anyone have an old car(s) stored away in a barn like building?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
No one else here has anything interesting parked in their barn or storage space?

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
My Scorpio was a "barn find" that wasn't in a barn!
Completely unknown car before last November.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The "Barn Find" term is so over-used now. Sorry....but your townhome garage is not a barn and that 1978 Mustang II is not worth $20k or even $10k.

·
Registered
987 Posts
IMO, a literal 'barn find' adds zero dollars to the value- it's all about year/make/model/bodystyle/powertrain/options/condition, period.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
IMO, a literal 'barn find' adds zero dollars to the value- it's all about year/make/model/bodystyle/powertrain/options/condition, period.
Exactly!!! People say "barn find" and they add some zeros to the end of the asking price. Its really ridiculous what some people are asking for cars and trucks that in some cases need a full restoration. I assume some people are listing a ridiculous price knowing that they will be offered half as much? I understand thats just part of how to sell a vehicle because you know people are just going to low ball you.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Exactly!!! People say "barn find" and they add some zeros to the end of the asking price. Its really ridiculous what some people are asking for cars and trucks that in some cases need a full restoration. I assume some people are listing a ridiculous price knowing that they will be offered half as much? I understand thats just part of how to sell a vehicle because you know people are just going to low ball you.
I don't even want a car that's almost surely been eaten by rodents.
These are money pits, almost certain to cost more to put right than they're worth.
Better off just buying a clean survivor or done car.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The only aspect of 'barn find' that's remotely tangible is, a vehicle sitting for a few decades MAY be more complete/original that something that's been bounced around 6 or 10 owners in the same period. With a vintage car, that often translates to value (to some minor degree).

As far as cars/parts goes, it's now officially nuts. Looked at a pot-metal backup light (glass lens, pot metal ring & housing). These were notorious rotters, this one on eBay was rotten so bad it had split open on one side like roasted hot dog, yet the seller said it was "usable / restorable"... and it was unquestionably neither. $150.

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I bought the black car above, it had only been on the road for 7 years (and sitting for 15). It was 99.9% original, down to the oiled/compressed metal air filter. Of course that far back, it was just a cheap old coupe.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When I bought the black car above, it had only been on the road for 7 years (and sitting for 15). It was 99.9% original, down to the oiled/compressed metal air filter. Of course that far back, it was just a cheap old coupe.
I think it would be neat to hear more of the back stories on these cars. The black one you mention reminds me of my dad's 1965 Le Mans he had when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing.

No one else here has anything interesting parked in their barn or storage space?

Not sure that this qualifies because it's in a garage and has only just turned 30. I'm sort of ashamed to show it like this but under all that dust the paint had been polished/waxed and sealed with a repellent coating. I've had it for 25 years (second owner) but it has been mostly parked for the last 20 years. The original owner was a man I worked for who actually bought two when they came out. This one he kept stock and was driven by his son as a commuter (they were both Sheriffs). The second Syclone he modified heavily and it was featured in Hot Rod magazine. He also had a heavily modified Grand National (also in Hot Rod) and a slightly beefed up 1995 Impala SS (which his elderly widow still drives to this day).

A couple years after I stopped working for him he called and said he was selling the stock Syclone and, knowing how much I admired it, he offered it to me first. At the time I was driving a Dodge Stealth R/T (the one with ALL the good looks but NO twin turbos, AWD, AWS, etc. etc.) which was fun especially being a manual but I was sort of done losing more races than not. The offer of the Syclone was my dream come true. It was my daily driver for almost 5 years before I got a house and put the truck to the side. Other than driving it occasionally early on, it's been parked ever since and not started for probably more than 15 years.

Here's the dashboard. I still have the circa-1991 remote 10-disc CD changer and corded cellular phone that was mounted in the center console (I even have the never-installed factory soft tonneau cover for the bed). For the most part, the interior is in great shape other than some expected wear for a truck with almost 135k miles on it.

I had the motor rebuilt somewhere around 85k miles. Below, you can see a few of the changes I made under the hood. I have all of the original parts that have been removed. Frustratingly, the most significant upgrades were made about 10 years ago and I have not turned the key since installing any of it (battery relocated to the bed; stock fan replaced with an HD variable output electric unit; rerouted air intakes made of aluminum with larger diameter; and most significantly replaced the stock air-to-water intercooler with the much larger air-to-air unit shown below).

Oh what a difference this intercooler is supposed to make but I can't vouch for it yet!

I long for the thrill again and to hear the turbo's whine and wastegate's burble, but not until I can revive her properly which isn't going to be easy.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I think it would be neat to hear more of the back stories on these cars. The black one you mention reminds me of my dad's 1965 Le Mans he had when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 63842
Not sure that this qualifies because it's in a garage and has only just turned 30. I'm sort of ashamed to show it like this but under all that dust the paint had been polished/waxed and sealed with a repellent coating. I've had it for 25 years (second owner) but it has been mostly parked for the last 20 years. The original owner was a man I worked for who actually bought two when they came out. This one he kept stock and was driven by his son as a commuter (they were both Sheriffs). The second Syclone he modified heavily and it was featured in Hot Rod magazine. He also had a heavily modified Grand National (also in Hot Rod) and a slightly beefed up 1995 Impala SS (which his elderly widow still drives to this day).

A couple years after I stopped working for him he called and said he was selling the stock Syclone and, knowing how much I admired it, he offered it to me first. At the time I was driving a Dodge Stealth R/T (the one with ALL the good looks but NO twin turbos, AWD, AWS, etc. etc.) which was fun especially being a manual but I was sort of done losing more races than not. The offer of the Syclone was my dream come true. It was my daily driver for almost 5 years before I got a house and put the truck to the side. Other than driving it occasionally early on, it's been parked ever since and not started for probably more than 15 years.

Here's the dashboard. I still have the circa-1991 remote 10-disc CD changer and corded cellular phone that was mounted in the center console (I even have the never-installed factory soft tonneau cover for the bed). For the most part, the interior is in great shape other than some expected wear for a truck with almost 135k miles on it.

View attachment 63843
I had the motor rebuilt somewhere around 85k miles. Below, you can see a few of the changes I made under the hood. I have all of the original parts that have been removed. Frustratingly, the most significant upgrades were made about 10 years ago and I have not turned the key since installing any of it (battery relocated to the bed; stock fan replaced with an HD variable output electric unit; rerouted air intakes made of aluminum with larger diameter; and most significantly replaced the stock air-to-water intercooler with the much larger air-to-air unit shown below).

View attachment 63849

Oh what a difference this intercooler is supposed to make but I can't vouch for it yet!

View attachment 63850
I long for the thrill again and to hear the turbo's whine and wastegate's burble, but not until I can revive her properly which isn't going to be easy.
Wait...what? After all the **** you talked a while back about my Dodge, you mean to tell me that your high mile minitruck hasn't started in over 15 years....you should change your screen name to PaperWeight478 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kids let this be a lesson...when you talk crap about someone's car you better have your own **** together.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wait...what? After all the **** you talked a while back about my Dodge, you mean to tell me that your high mile minitruck hasn't started in over 15 years....you should change your screen name to PaperWeight478 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kids let this be a lesson...when you talk crap about someone's car you better have your own **** together.
For the record you were the aggressor then, as you are now, and my comments about your Pep Boys Express station wagon were retaliatory but sincere and I stand by them. However you spin it, I'd unquestionably keep my parked Syclone rather than have your pimped-out Trojan to drive for free... wait, not Trojan, I meant Magnum... rather than have your pimped-out Magnum to drive for free.

It never occurred to me but I've been occupying space this WHOLE TIME rent free in the damaged-emotions department of your head. You're like a psychotic ex or a piece of stained toilette paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe. Just go away. Don't make a scene. It's over. Whatever it takes. Just. Go. Away.

Kids let this be a lesson about your mental state and being weak enough to be tormented by another person who isn't even trying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts