GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda, Toyota, General Motors Sedans Win Top Crash Marks

April 1(Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus ES330 luxury sedan, Hyundai Motor Co.'s XG 350, Honda Motor Co.'s Acura TSX and General Motors Corp.'s Aveo economy sedan won top marks in the latest round of U.S. government frontal crash tests.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave its five-star grade to the 2004-model sedans after conducting 27 crash tests. Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln LS, Toyota's Prius and two versions of Hyundai's Elantra won one five-star grade and one four star grade on the frontal tests.

The agency did 16 frontal tests to simulate a crash at 38.5 miles per hour by slamming a sled into a stationary vehicle holding test dummies. The top rating in the frontal test means an occupant has less than a 10 percent chance of serious injury that requires immediate hospitalization.

Among the 11 vehicles tested in side crashes, the Lexus, Acura TSX and Suzuki Motor Co.'s four-door Aerio, were the only vehicles receiving the top grade.

None of the vehicles in either test received less than three stars, the average grade.

source

·
Registered
39 Posts
that's great news for the aveo, that's the cheapest car on the list by at least $12,500, depending on the hyundai price. that should help sell the car, because i know some people don't buy the small cars becuase they think they are unsafe. this will qualm those false premonitions.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Good!

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I'm pleased the Aveo continues to accumulate postive news, and it seems that it has found an audience. Surprisingly, several of my friends identify positively with its commercials, particularly the Aveo/basketball players one.

And anything that siphons sales from Hyundai/Kia is fine in my mind!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now if only they could develope some crash testing that DIDN'T involve stationary immoveable objects!

Crash testing is, was, and probably always will be BS. "Look hunny! This Accord has good crash test ratings, so when you slam into another concrete wall at 80 mph, it should hold up better than the Tahoe did, but I wonder what happens when you hit a Tahoe head on."

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
crash testing is truely BS. but it helps with pr. and it makes people feel safer. but i am a firm beleiver that the more steel you have between you and the [email protected]$$ that hits you the better.

this is good for the aveo. but personally i would like to see a chevy car behind the chevy name.

Alan

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Do you think the 05 Aveo will get side-impact airbags since the 05 Forenza wagon will have them? I wonder if GMDAT let them or something happened making the Suzuki Forenza Wagon have them. LET'S PRAY THE AVEO GETS THEM!

BTW, has the Aveo been side-impact crashed yet?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by lio45@Apr 5 2004, 06:26 PM
So, top marks were won by 1 Toyota, 1 Honda, 1 Hyundai and 1 Daewoo.

What's the big story?
GM owns 70% of Daewoo...

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Way to go Koreans! The quality of Korean cars is definately among the best. That XG350L is an amazing car! Too bad us Americans can't figure it out. :(

Andrew

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by Rabbit@Apr 4 2004, 04:57 AM
Now if only they could develope some crash testing that DIDN'T involve stationary immoveable objects!

Crash testing is, was, and probably always will be BS.  "Look hunny!  This Accord has good crash test ratings, so when you slam into another concrete wall at 80 mph, it should hold up better than the Tahoe did, but I wonder what happens when you hit a Tahoe head on."
You might want to consider actually reading the article before criticizing it:

"The agency did 16 frontal tests to simulate a crash at 38.5 miles per hour by slamming a sled into a stationary vehicle holding test dummies."

Sliding a sled into the car at 38.5 MPH doesn't sound like crashing it into a brick wall to me. :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts