GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOKYO - Honda Motor Co. of Japan says it will shift production of its Pilot sport utility vehicle and Ridgeline pickup from Alliston, Ont., to Alabama.
At the same time, the automaker will increase production of the Civic at the Ontario plant to meet a growing demand for small cars.
Honda chief executive Takeo Fukui also said Thursday that North American jobs will not be affected by the shift in production.
He also said Honda will create another 2,000 North American jobs when a plant to build Civics opens in Indiana later this year.

A source says General Motors is working on additional measures to deal with a declining U.S. auto market and a shift to fuel efficient vehicles.
Such a move would come on top of thousands of job cuts at GM over the past three years mainly through buyout and early retirement offers.

Ford said earlier this week that it's planning involuntary layoffs of salaried employees by August as part of a restructuring in the face of slumping sales and record-high gas prices.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/080529/b052911A.html

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
That's not a surprise. Take the ugly styling of the new Pilot and the price of gas and it makes sense. See if one factory can make a go of both, but somehow I think this is the end of Honda's trucks.

Personally, I think high gas prices are a good thing as it finally shifts people's thinking towards fuel efficient vehicles or more practical vehicles for their particular needs. A lot of people with real SUVs bought them as a statement and not because they were practical or necessary.

GM is fortunate that the Lambdas can pick up slack off of the large SUVs. They just need a Fit-sized car since the new Cobalt XFE competes adequately in fuel economy, though it needs an upgrade. They just need better styled 5-seat crossovers with great fuel economy. The Greenline Vues will be very welcome when they finally show, esp. the plug-in.

If gas prices stay high I can see Honda killing the Ridgeline and the Pilot. They don't draw a crowd on styling and as some of my friends have recently stated, the Pilot is not on their list of crossovers to look at while the GM Lambdas are mostly for looks. And these are import lovers, so Honda has a definite problem. One of the friends has an Odyssey and is definitely not going Honda next time since Honda doesn't make a crossover he finds suitable and attractive.

Interesting times are ahead.

·
Banned
660 Posts
So much for "Buy American". Ford and GM are firing American workers, while Honda gives them jobs back. "Support America, buy Japanese" should be the new slogan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts