GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
June 25 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co., the second-largest Japanese automaker, said in an e-mail to analysts that U.S. sales in the first 20 days of June were ahead of last year's pace on demand for its fuel-efficient cars.

Total U.S. sales for the Tokyo-based automaker rose 16 percent in the period, according to the e-mail message obtained by Bloomberg News yesterday. Chris Martin, a spokesman for Honda in Torrance, California, said he couldn't confirm the e-mail.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aviMfboY1YHc&refer=home

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Surprise, surprise. It's gonna be a banner year for those foreign automakers- they're the only manufacturers that can make anything fuel efficient and reliable, right?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Build the right car and they will buy them. As GM lavished its attention and resources on gas hogging Hummers and SUVs, Honda kept right on developing more fuel efficient family cars, and is now reaping the rewards. I hope I live to see GM once again ANTICIPATING markets vs. continually, vainly, trying to play catch up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Build the right car and they will buy them. As GM lavished its attention and resources on gas hogging Hummers and SUVs, Honda kept right on developing more fuel efficient family cars, and is now reaping the rewards. I hope I live to see GM once again ANTICIPATING markets vs. continually, vainly, trying to play catch up.

Yes and Honda didn't try to play that game with the Ridgeline or new Pilot???
Let's all praise the almighty Honda for making the right choices. :rolleyes:

I for one wouldn't touch one and will continue driving my inefficient and unpractical HHR.;)

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

I for one wouldn't touch one and will continue driving my inefficient and unpractical HHR.;)
Note that I did not say they made no large vehicles, just pointed out that their impressive sales figures speak for themselves. Honda is thriving as GM falters with plunging stock values and mind boggling losses.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Note that I did not say they made no large vehicles, just pointed out that their impressive sales figures speak for themselves. Honda is thriving as GM falters with plunging stock values and mind boggling losses.
I hear ya---but GM does have some very efficient machines out there, but they continue to be labeled as the opposite.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I hear ya---but GM does have some very efficient machines out there, but they continue to be labeled as the opposite.
GM is capable of building efficient and reliable vehicles. They even have some products that demonstrate this now.

But they also have some that demonstrate the opposite.

The American culture supports short term thinking. This works during boom times but hurts really bad during inflection points. It is also very bad when it results in stop gap measures that do nothing but hurt your brand.

Honda stayed the course. No BOF SUVs, minimal niche products, vehicle weight kept in check and constant attention to efficiency (in both packaging and FE). Their products are not always best in class but for the most part they are solid, reliable and efficient. Kudos to them and their long term mindset.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not quite sure what your point is, since both the Ridgeline and Pilot are ultimately based off of car platforms, something that they've been derided for ad nauseum on these forums.

Add in the fact that they're made in flex plants that can alter production to better selling vehicles, and both the Ridgeline and the Pilot were absolutely great risks to take with very little downside.

·
Registered
899 Posts
In this month's issue of Consumer Reports they review fuel efficient cars. The Honda Fit was rated an 87. I can't remember the exact rating the Aveo recieved, but it was ranked dead last with a score of something like 50.

You can't build crap and expect people to buy it - especially in the information age...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Surprise, surprise. It's gonna be a banner year for those foreign automakers- they're the only manufacturers that can make anything fuel efficient and reliable, right?
Despite your sarcasm, yes - Foreign automakers do build the most fuel efficient (Prius, Yaris, Civic Hybrid, Camry hybrid) and reliable vehicles (Honda #1 according to JD Powers).

Them are the facts.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Honda Civic LX manual: 26/34 mpg
Chevy Cobalt XFE manual: 25/36 mpg

Honda Accord 4 cyl auto: 21/31 mpg
Chevy Malibu 4 cyl auto 6 sp: 22/32 mpg

Honda CRV 2wd: 20/27 mpg
Chevy HHR: 22/30 mpg

You people who say that Hondas are selling well because they saw $4 gas coming and planned appropriately, while GM did nothing but invest in big SUVs need to pull your heads out of your asses.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Not quite sure what your point is, since both the Ridgeline and Pilot are ultimately based off of car platforms, something that they've been derided for ad nauseum on these forums.

Add in the fact that they're made in flex plants that can alter production to better selling vehicles, and both the Ridgeline and the Pilot were absolutely great risks to take with very little downside.

Yes, but the Ridgeline gets basically the same gas mileage as a larger full BOF Chevy Avalanche--so where is the Ridgelines efficiency:confused:
Here we have a smaller less capable truck that gets no better gas mileage then a full size truck that is extremely capable--yet GM doesn't build efficient vehicles???

All I am saying is that GM offers vehicles that match the competitions MPG for the most part. True, they dont have as many small car offerings--but other then that its a match.

·
Registered
962 Posts
In this month's issue of Consumer Reports they review fuel efficient cars. The Honda Fit was rated an 87. I can't remember the exact rating the Aveo recieved, but it was ranked dead last with a score of something like 50.

You can't build crap and expect people to buy it - especially in the information age...
Everyone knows the Aveo is crap--How did the Ridgeline compare against the larger and more capable Avalanche---talk about crap!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
No suprise here, everyone's in a new Accord! BUT WHY?!?!? The Malibu is a much better car. Its just that same mindset that everyone is in. Japanese is tops and American sucks. I just don't get it.. I really think all those Honda and Toyota buyers are anti-American. :p:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The HHR, Cobalt, etc. may be efficient, but they just do not have the appeal that the Civic does. I've had several Cobalts, HHRs as rentals, and they're OK cars. One Cobalt I had the painted "metal" trim was fading already, and the paint was peeling off. The new Civics I've been in just have a higher quality feel to the interior. I don't think it helps that there are more Cobalts in rental fleets than Civics. All around, I think the Civic is a better small car, and judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people agree.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Everyone knows the Aveo is crap--How did the Ridgeline compare against the larger and more capable Avalanche---talk about crap!
I agree the Ridgeline is crap. I will be the first to say that GM trucks are the best, hands down. This is where GM has put the majority of its resources. Unfortunately, this point is moot right now since demand for trucks is plummeting.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
No suprise here, everyone's in a new Accord! BUT WHY?!?!? The Malibu is a much better car. Its just that same mindset that everyone is in. Japanese is tops and American sucks. I just don't get it.. I really think all those Honda and Toyota buyers are anti-American. :p:
The new Malibu is selling well. Did you expect it to outsell the Accord in its first year on the market? That is completely unrealistic. GM needs more cars like the Malibu and fewer trucks.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts

hummm

Honda: Ridgeline and and Pilot, and if you want to stretch it, CRV

GM: Tahoe, Suburban, Avalance, Silverado
GMC: Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
Cadillac: 'Slade, 'Slade EXT

humm... wonder who was thinking ahead about gas prices... :rolleyes:

You CANNOT deny GM has let most of the car line languish to further the full size truck development.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Here we go with the 'Anti-American' spew again....
BE-ing American is what it is ALL about.
Having the freedom to purchase what YOU want.
Not what you purchase.

Plus I will admit the Malibu is a better car then it's former self but, people are not going to recognize that off the bat.
Not after years and years of mediocre.

Further more even though they designed the Malibu to 'look' like a Camry (Err..Yes they did) it still doesn't have all the options a Camry has or the Accord.

People NOTICE that much. The buying public is not stupid and they know what they 'want'.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts