GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"On the lower LX and Sport trims, the standard 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine produces the same 158 hp as the outgoing model but comes with a standard idle-stop system and new catalytic converter design to improve fuel efficiency by 1 mpg in city driving, according to EPA estimates".

Uh-oh (bold type).

More at the link...

Honda Civic features refined powertrain, enhanced tech for 2022 (autonews.com)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Thank God...a non-EV thread!!!!!!

Yes, this Honda Civic looks Fantastic, class leading by a bit as the Corolla is nowhere near as good. This is the type of effort that is needed in a compact that GM was not willing to put forth on the Cruze.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if the oil/gas dilution problems have been fixed on their 1.5L Turbo engine?

·
Registered
123 Posts

Yes, this Honda Civic looks Fantastic, class leading by a bit as the Corolla is nowhere near as good. This is the type of effort that is needed in a compact that GM was not willing to put forth on the Cruze.
I have no doubts that it will be a refined, reliable, economical car and that it will retain good resale value. I find it new look boring.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I have no doubts that it will be a refined, reliable, economical car and that it will retain good resale value. I find it new look boring.
The interior is great though...The last Civic was a little too far out there IMO in terms of exterior design.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts

The only issue with both the Honda and Toyota is the CVT transmission

Oh and the Corolla is TINY inside , well the hatchback is anyway

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only issue with both the Honda and Toyota is the CVT transmission

Oh and the Corolla is TINY inside , well the hatchback is anyway
I've never driven a vehicle that has a CVT, and I don't plan to any time soon. My Grandson's girlfriend has a 2017 Civic. He's driven it and said the CVT's acceleration has a "rubber band" feeling to it. No Thanks. I believe the only new compact sedan that offers traditional transmissions is the 2021 Hyundai Elantra N-Line (?). You can get that with a 6-speed manual or 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. Other Elantra trim levels get a CVT that they call an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT).

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,220 Posts
I've never driven a vehicle that has a CVT, and I don't plan to any time soon. My Grandson's girlfriend has a 2017 Civic. He's driven it and said the CVT's acceleration has a "rubber band" feeling to it. No Thanks. I believe the only new compact sedan that offers traditional transmissions is the 2021 Hyundai Elantra N-Line (?). You can get that with a 6-speed manual or 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. Other Elantra trim levels get a CVT that they call an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT).
The new Honda will offer the manual for the hatchback, Si, and R models per Automobile Mag. Zero manuals on the sedan, too bad.

I like the new design, looks good in photos, except not a fan of the iPad-on-top-of-the-dash infotainment. For a stick shift, though, I'd put up with it. I'd never buy a current hatchback, too bizarre looking for me, but I'm not young anymore. Maybe they calmed down the design realizing many older people buy Civics?

I've driven a couple of CVTs, they're horrible for fun driving around town but not bad on the highway IMO. If I was doing a lot of highway driving (right now I'm not) I'd consider one.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I had a Nissan Rogue rental while the Buick was in the shop a few months ago, didn't even notice the CVT. I seriously don't get all of the negative fuss about CVTs.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,554 Posts
I seriously don't get all of the negative fuss about CVTs.
Me neither. A well programmed CVT is the equivalent of an infinite speed automatic transmission that's always in the right "gear". I've driven several CVT equipped Nissans as rental or loaner cars and the transmission in each one of them worked just fine.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,554 Posts
Is the stop/start defeatable?
It should be. All other non-hybrid Honda cars and light trucks with an auto stop/start system include a switch to turn the feature off.

Reactions: steve333

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
I had a Nissan Rogue rental while the Buick was in the shop a few months ago, didn't even notice the CVT. I seriously don't get all of the negative fuss about CVTs.
You will when you spend 5 grand fixing one 6 months out of warrantee

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Yeah the Mazda 3 has a traditional Auto

You;re right about the Hyundai NLine my wife and I bought one with the 7 speed and lessor models make do with a traditional auto

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You will when you spend 5 grand fixing one 6 months out of warrantee
I think that held true back in 2003 when Nissan first had a CVT in the Murano, but IDK...I just haven't heard of any widespread CVT problems recently, but I'm also not in the industry to see any data that confirms that. I also don't think they're that expensive either they're really simpler compared to traditional trannies.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
I think that held true back in 2003 when Nissan first had a CVT in the Murano, but IDK...I just haven't heard of any widespread CVT problems recently, but I'm also not in the industry to see any data that confirms that. I also don't think they're that expensive either they're really simpler compared to traditional trannies.
My brother in law had to replace his CVT in a new Fairly new Pathfinder I believe it was a 2017? maybe

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It looks like a 90s Accord from the front.

I do like the interior, and like the air vent grate as opposed to the width long lines many other manufacturers are doing these days.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
My brother in law had to replace his CVT in a new Fairly new Pathfinder I believe it was a 2017? maybe
Damn...I kind of stand corrected then, that sucks...but don't fall into the trap of attributing its failure to it being a CVT vs tranditional..**** just happens sometimes. I've seen and experienced trans failures on all types of trannies, my 5sp on my Maxima, my 6sp in my T&C and my Buick's 9sp have all **** the bed (the T&C and Maxima failures were dead in the water failures, the Buick just developed a stutter that resulted in a replacement).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts